Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Looking at bot source codes

AuthorMessageTime
Blackie
Is looking at bot source codes good? A couple of people I knew said you don't learn anything from doing this. I don't see how you can't learn.
February 23, 2004, 11:11 PM
K
[quote author=Blackie link=board=17;threadid=5417;start=0#msg45645 date=1077577908]
Is looking at bot source codes good? A couple of people I knew said you don't learn anything from doing this. I don't see how you can't learn.
[/quote]

Well, it really depends. Here's the most likely situation:

You look at the source code to bot Z. This bot was written by someone who looked at the source code for bot Y and ripped out certain parts of code from bot Y without fully comprehending them. Incidentally, author of bot Y probably did the same from bot X. Result: you have half-assed poorly written code which was copied and pasted several times to "learn from." You don't understand it, but it seems to work so you copy it into your bot.

The step that usually follows this one is to post questions like "This code doesnt work whats wrong" on this forum.
February 23, 2004, 11:16 PM
ChR0NiC
[quote author=Blackie link=board=17;threadid=5417;start=0#msg45645 date=1077577908]
[/quote]

Two good sources I recommend are, Eth Bot (very useful and knowledgable) and Shadow Bot (gives you a good understanding of good ways to use arrays and how to use them, also provides a healthy queue system, if needed)

Both can be obtained prolly at http://www.malea.net
Or possibly at www.madz.tk
February 24, 2004, 4:20 AM
FuzZ
Shadowbot in my personal opinion is pretty damn sloppy, the version I got anyway.

What I did was setup a Bnetd, and change things that I didn't understand, just to see what it did.. I did get help from some people however, but most of it was figuring stuff out on my own.

just remember to always comment stuff out and replace it with what you're going to change it to otherwise you'll end up starting fresh again :P

if you need a bnetd
http://www.bloodynub.com/files/bots/BNetWServer.rar
You'll need WinRAR to open the file. Also, There are no trojans or backdoors if anyone is wondering.. I'm not like that.
There's also a 1.09d D2GS in the same directory, hope someone can get as much use out of it as I did.
February 24, 2004, 4:36 AM

Search