Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Assembly Language (any cpu) | Re: The VB Reversing Reference Thread

AuthorMessageTime
Adron
I think we need to simplify this or it will grow out of bounds. Wouldn't be enough to say that VB6 passes in a ByRef argument for the return value? Your description seems to match that for all cases.

And Visual Basic uses the pascal calling convention at times - StrComp being called with the arguments pushed in the same order they're given instead of reverse order?

And for member function calls, the "this" (Me) pointer is passed as the first argument, before even the return value?

Defining that the local variable happens to be stored at -1C in this case is pointless, it's such a simple case that it won't likely happen for anyone in real life anyway...

And yes, I'll delete this post and all the replies to it to keep the reference clean, once the discussion is over.
February 23, 2004, 1:16 AM
TheMinistered
Adron, you being an admin can do whatever you wish. I am simply documenting this stuff, you can at any time modify/delete it.
February 23, 2004, 1:31 AM
Adron
[quote author=TheMinistered link=board=7;threadid=5399;start=0#msg45545 date=1077499866]
Adron, you being an admin can do whatever you wish. I am simply documenting this stuff, you can at any time modify/delete it.
[/quote]

Being an admin, I can do whatever I wish, including asking people's opinion before I change things :)

Edit:
Oh, and I'm lazy too. I'll suggest things and then hope others pick up on them. And if they don't want to, I know I can understand the thread either way it's written.
February 23, 2004, 1:39 AM
TheMinistered
well, go ahead and delete the rest of the posts we made.. it's good now
February 23, 2004, 2:04 AM
Yoni
Delete? Why not split to a non-sticky topic "Discussion on the VB Reversing Reference Thread"?
February 23, 2004, 5:48 AM
Grok
TheMinistered: if you want, figure out where VB gets its colors for the IDE? Currently, the IDE color customizer is limited to the 16 basic colors. If you can find where to change these to 2 million colors, or at least 256 colors, I would be glad to use it.

I'm guessing its a byte table, taking a nibble for background and one for foreground. This would explain the limit of 16 color choices for each.

Maybe you can hack the IDE to point to and read a larger variable for each. Then we could write a GUI color picker to write the new colors to the new storage locations.
February 23, 2004, 1:05 PM
TheMinistered
I'll look into the matter in a little bit, am working on something atm -- btw which color customizer are you referring to-- I don't know any in the IDE that is limited to 16 colors.
February 23, 2004, 8:56 PM
Grok
Tools | Options | Editor Format ... pick any color setting. You get a combo list showing only 16 colors. This would have been useful to customize about 6 years ago!
February 23, 2004, 9:54 PM
TheMinistered
Hmm, that one! I thought you were referring to the color pallete ;) -- I'll look into it tomorrow and see what I can come up with -- Perhaps I can use an addin to do it... would be useful

btw, i can hear you now saying an addin wont do the trick -- if it can't-- i might still be able to use an addin and patch some memory/etc
February 23, 2004, 10:16 PM
Grok
Any progress?
March 1, 2004, 3:35 AM

Search