Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Get the OS for your baby sister!

AuthorMessageTime
tA-Kane
http://www.divisiontwo.com/articles/barbieOS.htm

I just hope it doesn't have internet access, or else there'd be no end to the people stalking young girls on the internet...
February 18, 2004, 10:22 PM
DrivE
Haha. A girl under 13 who is dissatisfied with the Windows OS?
February 18, 2004, 10:25 PM
Hamtaro
[quote]
"Barbie would also be tired of Microsoft's licensing bullshit," he added.
[/quote]
lol that kind of language on a report over the barbie os? hope none of those 13 yr old and under read that :P
February 18, 2004, 10:37 PM
Null
Why in the world do 13 year old girls need the power of a Linux Kernell , OMG H4X
February 18, 2004, 10:37 PM
Grok
[quote]Still, Mattel says it is confident of the potential of BarbieOS 1.0 to find a niche market of young girls under thirteen who are dissatisfied with current Microsoft offerings and are looking toward maybe asking mom and dad for a full-powered Linux laptop running BarbieOS this Christmas.[/quote]

What are there, maybe 20 girls under 13 who are technically apt enough to evaluate Windows vs Linux and form an opinion?
February 18, 2004, 10:46 PM
Null
"Mum my crappy Windows Box needs to be upgraded to a more powerful stable Linux platform" <--- Bitch of a kid

"Why hun" <-- Mother

"Because the Monitor isnt pink" <--- Bitch of a kid
February 18, 2004, 11:14 PM
Myndfyr
roflmao:

[quote]
"If Barbie were a career-focused woman working in the IT industry in 2003, she would support open standards," he says. "She would be seeking out free and open-source alternatives to current proprietary solutions, saving her company tens of thousands of dollars on management headaches associated with tracking software licenses and preparing for BSA audits. She would be looking at deploying Linux clients on the desktop and Linux servers in the back office. She wouldn't be willing to sacrifice power for features, and she would demand a system that is stable, secure, and easily configurable."

"Barbie would also be tired of Microsoft's licensing bullshit," he added.
[/quote]

I'll tell you what.... Linux is only fast and reliable for people who know it. If you don't know it, you can screw it up just as much as a Windows system. Show me an idiot-proof OS, and I'll show you a better idiot.

I don't really care if Microsoft's code is proprietary or if it is an "open standard." The only problem I see with Windows is that Microsoft is trying to do everything with it.... Unfortunately for the computer industry, nobody can compete; as long as Linux stays as difficult as it is (even with KDE, which I really like) -- which it will as long as Windows stays on the majority of home PCs (which it will), I think Barbie supporting the open-standard Linux will get tired of hearing all the bullshit from the morons in her company.

What licensing BS by the way? I might be naive about it, because I don't work in a corporate environment.... I think the only licensing "BS" that Microsoft has is the fact that they want you to buy a license for each computer -- but really, that makes sense business-wise.... You don't buy one license of Photoshop for 20 computers at your office. Maybe we need to open-standardize Adobe's software, too.

Don't flame me for being pro-Microsoft.... I'm trying to learn Linux -- really -- but its incompatibilities with my hardware (my USB ethernet adapter and my Radeon 9700) just really kill it for me.

:-/
February 18, 2004, 11:48 PM
Adron
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=2;threadid=5355;start=0#msg44932 date=1077148117]
Maybe we need to open-standardize Adobe's software, too.
[/quote]

Aren't there open and free pdf creators and image editors?
February 18, 2004, 11:50 PM
iago
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=5355;start=0#msg44935 date=1077148253]
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=2;threadid=5355;start=0#msg44932 date=1077148117]
Maybe we need to open-standardize Adobe's software, too.
[/quote]

Aren't there open and free pdf creators and image editors?
[/quote]

OpenOffice includes both.
February 19, 2004, 1:08 AM
Myndfyr
Yes, I'm aware of them.... At this point, I don't even remember what the point of saying that was....
February 19, 2004, 1:37 AM
iago
Incidentally, I use USB Ethernet. Is it a Linksys Etherfast Ethernet Adapter? If so, I can probably help you. It is natively supported by, for sure, whatever kernel Slackware 9.1 uses (I don't remember which).
February 19, 2004, 2:00 AM
Kp
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=2;threadid=5355;start=0#msg44932 date=1077148117]What licensing BS by the way? I might be naive about it, because I don't work in a corporate environment.... I think the only licensing "BS" that Microsoft has is the fact that they want you to buy a license for each computer -- but really, that makes sense business-wise.... You don't buy one license of Photoshop for 20 computers at your office. Maybe we need to open-standardize Adobe's software, too.[/quote]

Well, getting enough licenses to run a large number of Windows systems could either be a headache or get the finance people annoyed at how much you spent on licenses (possibly both). Also, it is my understanding that it's much less trouble to keep Unix systems up-to-date on patches (in large part because of the greater native support for remote administration -- just try installing all the latest Windows security patches via a script (or tell me you really want to spend five hours walking around/TSing to all the systems to do it by hand).

Finally, there's the issue of what the license does/doesn't permit. Most modern software EULAs are something to the effect of "This program isn't good for anything. We know it might be crap, and we're not obligated to fix it. Use at your own risk and don't bother us if it doesn't work." Microsoft isn't alone in designing that kind of garbage EULA (though they're certainly the biggest target for people who like to complain about such things).
February 19, 2004, 3:50 AM
crashtestdummy
my usb ethernet adapter works with linux as well its a smc2208 and I'm on drake 9.2.
smc has a driver on there website.
February 19, 2004, 4:18 AM
mynameistmp
[quote]
as long as Linux stays as difficult as it is (even with KDE, which I really like) -- which it will as long as Windows stays on the majority of home PCs (which it will)
[/quote]

It looks like the relationship that you are trying to establish (apparently without support) is that: Linux is, and always will be, difficult (presumably to use) because Windows is, and always will be, "on" the majority of home PCs.

I decided to quote Martin Barker in my signature so that I don't need to post it everytime a claim like this pops up in the forum.

February 19, 2004, 5:12 AM
crashtestdummy
Myndfyre what distro of linux are you trying to use?
the radeon 9700 is certified hardware for mandrake 9.2:
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/hardware.php3
its not certified but it does work on redhat 9:
http://www.redhat.com/software/rhl9_hcl.html
and suse says its partially supported: http://cdb.suse.de/productSearch.php?page=5&LANG=en_UK&searchtype=simple&PHPSESSID=56d9f90657c5aa29010ef5cd52b0b905
here is a linux hardware compatability howto:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/

ohwell im bored
February 19, 2004, 6:23 AM

Search