Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Languge war thread, spawned from topic "BnetD"

AuthorMessageTime
St0rm.iD
VB is the worst language to do that in.

Edit (Yoni): Split topic (original), changed split thread's title.
January 11, 2004, 4:35 AM
UserLoser.
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=0#msg39224 date=1073795706]
[/quote]

just because you can't get it working in python, it's ok :P
January 11, 2004, 4:36 AM
St0rm.iD
[quote author=UserLoser. link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=0#msg39225 date=1073795770]
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=0#msg39224 date=1073795706]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Been there done that in VB, Java, and Python. Have to say that VB was the most painful.
January 11, 2004, 4:56 AM
Atom
[/quote]

Actually VB is quite appropriate. Unless you want to run it in a linux enviroment, which is the trend is serious server apps. VB being a rapid application dev, will speed up the process of coding, and you dont need super fast ASM code (like you would in a data crunching 3d game), your code will generate a lot faster then the data will be sent over your data.
February 9, 2004, 10:25 PM
Grok
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=0#msg39229 date=1073797018]
[quote author=UserLoser. link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=0#msg39225 date=1073795770]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Been there done that in VB, Java, and Python. Have to say that VB was the most painful.
[/quote]

If it's all the same to you, could we do without the predictable St0rm.iD anti-VB reply to so many posts? It's going on how many years now? Everyone knows your opinion. Btw, just because you couldn't get something working in VB doesn't mean it can't be done easily. You had limited to no training, experience, or knowledge on which to base the assessment. But I'm not looking for an argument, just asking you to stop the tired chanting.
February 10, 2004, 6:09 AM
St0rm.iD
[quote author=Grok link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=0#msg43478 date=1076393368]
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=0#msg39229 date=1073797018]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If it's all the same to you, could we do without the predictable St0rm.iD anti-VB reply to so many posts? It's going on how many years now? Everyone knows your opinion. Btw, just because you couldn't get something working in VB doesn't mean it can't be done easily. You had limited to no training, experience, or knowledge on which to base the assessment. But I'm not looking for an argument, just asking you to stop the tired chanting.
[/quote]

fooey. :(
February 11, 2004, 1:25 AM
taylorjonl
[quote author=Atom link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=0#msg43390 date=1076365501]Actually VB is quite appropriate. Unless you want to run it in a linux enviroment, which is the trend is serious server apps. VB being a rapid application dev, will speed up the process of coding, and you dont need super fast ASM code (like you would in a data crunching 3d game), your code will generate a lot faster then the data will be sent over your data.
[/quote]

I would say that VB is appropriate for any GUI code but for actual functionality I prefer C/C++. I hate VB as it is Microsoft exclusive and would rather use a Java frontend. I still haven't learn VB and don't think I ever will as I have alternatives.
February 16, 2004, 7:24 PM
Grok
[quote author=taylorjonl link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=0#msg44612 date=1076959485]
[quote author=Atom link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=0#msg43390 date=1076365501]Actually VB is quite appropriate. Unless you want to run it in a linux enviroment, which is the trend is serious server apps. VB being a rapid application dev, will speed up the process of coding, and you dont need super fast ASM code (like you would in a data crunching 3d game), your code will generate a lot faster then the data will be sent over your data.
[/quote]

I would say that VB is appropriate for any GUI code but for actual functionality I prefer C/C++. I hate VB as it is Microsoft exclusive and would rather use a Java frontend. I still haven't learn VB and don't think I ever will as I have alternatives.
[/quote]

Why don't you hate Java for being Sun exclusive?
February 16, 2004, 10:44 PM
MesiaH
[quote author=Grok link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=0#msg44652 date=1076971481]
[quote author=taylorjonl link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=0#msg44612 date=1076959485]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Why don't you hate Java for being Sun exclusive?
[/quote]

+1 for excellent comment.
February 16, 2004, 11:22 PM
Kp
[quote author=Grok link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=0#msg44652 date=1076971481][quote]I would say that VB is appropriate for any GUI code but for actual functionality I prefer C/C++. I hate VB as it is Microsoft exclusive and would rather use a Java frontend. I still haven't learn VB and don't think I ever will as I have alternatives.[/quote]Why don't you hate Java for being Sun exclusive?[/quote]

VB is (afaik) exclusive to Windows OSes. Java works on Windows, Unixs, and probably even some embedded devices. Thus, Java is more portable.

[edit: quote tags were damaged somehow. Fixed now.]
February 16, 2004, 11:42 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=Kp link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=15#msg44664 date=1076974943]
[quote author=Grok link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=0#msg44652 date=1076971481][quote]I would say that VB is appropriate for any GUI code but for actual functionality I prefer C/C++. I hate VB as it is Microsoft exclusive and would rather use a Java frontend. I still haven't learn VB and don't think I ever will as I have alternatives.[/quote]Why don't you hate Java for being Sun exclusive?[/quote]

VB is (afaik) exclusive to Windows OSes. Java works on Windows, Unixs, and probably even some embedded devices. Thus, Java is more portable.

[/quote]

+1 for an excellent comment. ;D
February 17, 2004, 2:40 AM
Grok
[quote author=Kp link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=15#msg44664 date=1076974943]

[/quote]

The comparison was not about portability. He said it was Microsoft exclusive. I pointed out that Java is Sun exclusive, and drew a direct parallel opposed to his argument.

Don't suppose I'll get +1's from Java people for stating such an obvious truth though.
February 17, 2004, 3:38 AM
St0rm.iD
i gave you a +1 :)
February 17, 2004, 4:48 AM
Kp
[quote author=Grok link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=15#msg44691 date=1076989135]The comparison was not about portability. He said it was Microsoft exclusive. I pointed out that Java is Sun exclusive, and drew a direct parallel opposed to his argument.
Don't suppose I'll get +1's from Java people for stating such an obvious truth though.[/quote]

Then what was it about? I fail to see how Java is "Sun exclusive" (in large part because I don't know what you mean by such a construct). I also don't know what was meant by "Microsoft exclusive" if we aren't discussing portability, but you're not the one that stated that one.
February 17, 2004, 5:34 AM
Tuberload
To me the word fits Microsoft perfectly. To use any of their products, you are almost always required to run another product made by them, Windows. I think Bill Gates is a brilliant man, who knows how to make money. I personally have no problem with Microsoft, but they try and dominate every aspect of the computer industry and that bugs me.

The only way I see Java as being Sun exclusive is because they have taken Microsoft to court over J++. Once again Microsoft tried to dominate a growing technology. Sun also allows access to their technology on numerous operating systems, so I fail to see how they are excluding anyone.
February 17, 2004, 6:52 AM
Grok
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=15#msg44711 date=1077000770]
To me the word fits Microsoft perfectly. To use any of their products, you are almost always required to run another product made by them, Windows. I think Bill Gates is a brilliant man, who knows how to make money. I personally have no problem with Microsoft, but they try and dominate every aspect of the computer industry and that bugs me.

The only way I see Java as being Sun exclusive is because they have taken Microsoft to court over J++. Once again Microsoft tried to dominate a growing technology. Sun also allows access to their technology on numerous operating systems, so I fail to see how they are excluding anyone.

[/quote]

VB is just as Microsoft exclusive as Java is Sun exclusive.

Microsoft licenses VB to hundreds of companies to implement in their products. Microsoft retains control of the technology, and has written this product for a specific market slice, even if it is a big slice including their desktops.

Sun retains control of the Java technology, and has written this product for a segment of the market.

If Sun is oh-so-different, why not release the future development and direction of Java to the world? Why did they throw a fit when someone tried to extend Java for a vertical market where the extensions would have been useful? It's all about control and money. Just because Microsoft has the most control and most money, doesn't mean everyone else is always right and Microsoft wrong.
February 17, 2004, 12:31 PM
Hostile
-1 to Grok since Sun took a major part and still has a significant role in the development of Java, and thus started the JCP which maintains each aspect of Java by parties from varies companies which also play a big role in the Java world. If you go to www.JCP.org and click on any of the JSRs you will notice under that many companies take part as Expert Groups per each specification.

-1 to Tuberload and MesiaH for +1'ing people with no contribution to the conversation or comments to backup reasons to toast.

-1 to St0rm.iD for not commenting on Grok and Tuberload's mistakes before I could. :P

Edit: Tuberload, they took Microsoft to court for alot more then J++, matter of fact they took them to court for every single product they had which was Java enabled. On the other side though, Microsoft had no right to call their heavily modified and disgusting version of Java, Java.
Grok, Although Sun still holds the patents and copywrites, and fights all the legal battles for Java, as stated above, they have done as much as they possibly can to build Java into the open and proof of that lies when you look at the Expert Groups for some of the Java Specification Requests... you'll notice there are quite a few that Sun isn't even a part of.
Edit Again: I didn't actually roast you guys so don't spam me with them, hehe. :P
February 18, 2004, 7:08 AM
Grok
Are you saying Sun does not have final discretion on what goes in Java? These other companies can add whatever they want when they want? Can Microsoft add whatever they want to Java; extend it as they see fit?
February 18, 2004, 1:03 PM
St0rm.iD
The JSR is the biggest piece of crap ever. It barely gets anything done, it's slow, and only big companies can participate in it.
February 18, 2004, 3:14 PM
iago
I seem to have missed this big conversation since I don't care about BnetD. hmm.

Anyway, the difference, in my mind, between Microsoft and Sun is that Sun offers a lot of products from free. J2SE is free, and Microsoft VS costs a lot of money. I think that businesses would prefer free technology.
February 18, 2004, 6:43 PM
Grok
[quote author=iago link=board=5;threadid=5354;start=15#msg44890 date=1077129820]
I seem to have missed this big conversation since I don't care about BnetD. hmm.

Anyway, the difference, in my mind, between Microsoft and Sun is that Sun offers a lot of products from free. J2SE is free, and Microsoft VS costs a lot of money. I think that businesses would prefer free technology.
[/quote]

Great. Then you would love IIS, MSDE, etc. The volume of products Microsoft offers for free is staggering. Thank you for being honest. Not going to suddenly change your tune now, or further qualify what you meant?
February 18, 2004, 10:24 PM
iago
[quote author=Grok link=board=5;threadid=5354;start=15#msg44913 date=1077143083]
[quote author=iago link=board=5;threadid=5354;start=15#msg44890 date=1077129820]

[/quote]

Great. Then you would love IIS, MSDE, etc. The volume of products Microsoft offers for free is staggering. Thank you for being honest. Not going to suddenly change your tune now, or further qualify what you meant?
[/quote]

Oops, I slipped up, MS sucks.

Actually, I agree. But the original MS operating system costs money, whereas the base Linux operating system is free (usually).

In any case, the reason I use Linux/Java/gcc over Windows/vs (particularely at work) is because windows costs money, and I'm perfectly happy working with a free operating system/language which may be inferior in some ways.
February 18, 2004, 11:51 PM
Adron
I don't like IIS and MSDE, because they cost too much money when you want to really use them.

Licensing IIS requires a Windows Server CAL (~$40) for every authenticated user to the server, while Apache offers the same thing for free using .htpasswd on linux. Interestingly enough, Microsofts licensing agreements imply that even if you use Apache instead of IIS as a web server on a Windows server, you still need to get a Windows Server CAL for every authenticated user of Apache.

MSDE is artifically speed limited when there are more than 5 simultaneous jobs. That alone should be enough to dislike it. It's crippleware! You need to purchase SQL to get the non-crippled version.
February 18, 2004, 11:56 PM
iago
Another point: openoffice, which was made (or at least licensed, I don't really know) by Sun is free. Unlike MS Office which not only requires you to buy Windows, but you also have to buy MSOffice.
February 19, 2004, 1:20 AM
Myndfyr
I really appreciate Grok's, Adron's, and iago's comments. They seem to be the only ones really thinking this through to the end.

However, about the free issue....

The fact that you prefer free software to paid software doesn't make Microsoft evil -- nor does the fact that they own the market share. The fact of the matter is, smart capitalists invested in technology and used intelligent marketing and business strategies to make themselves the leaders in the industry. That doesn't make them evil; it makes them intelligent. Even if the software sucks at some point, you have to admire the fact that they get to suck your pockets for a $40 CAL.

To the few people who have commented about portability, I have one word: WINE. I guess it doesn't work on Mac, but who cares -- it's what, 2% of the market share? I don't gear my clan's website towards Pocket Internet Explorer. It's not smart business.

My two cents. :)
February 19, 2004, 2:55 AM
St0rm.iD
WINE barely ever works. mono, on the other hand, rocks.

Microsoft has its good and bad sides. Yeah, maybe IIS sucks (sorry grok, but it does, in my opinion), but Windows is an excellent workstation OS for what I do (web design/programming/for fun programming in C++, Python, and Java). Not to mention that Microsoft basically is going to pay for my college via stocks.
February 19, 2004, 4:01 AM
Adron
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=5;threadid=5354;start=15#msg44980 date=1077159301]
The fact of the matter is, smart capitalists invested in technology and used intelligent marketing and business strategies to make themselves the leaders in the industry.
[/quote]

The fact of the matter is that smart capitalists invested in technology and used intelligent marketing and ugly, anti-competitive business practises that should've had the government take them out of business, had they not been bribed.
February 19, 2004, 7:44 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=Hostile link=board=5;threadid=5354;start=15#msg44858 date=1077088126]
-1 to Tuberload and MesiaH for +1'ing people with no contribution to the conversation or comments to backup reasons to toast.[/quote]

Sorry I was trying to be humorous. I will refrain from doing that in serious debates from now on.

[quote author=Hostile link=board=5;threadid=5354;start=15#msg44858 date=1077088126]
Edit: Tuberload, they took Microsoft to court for alot more then J++, matter of fact they took them to court for every single product they had which was Java enabled. On the other side though, Microsoft had no right to call their heavily modified and disgusting version of Java, Java.
Grok, Although Sun still holds the patents and copywrites, and fights all the legal battles for Java, as stated above, they have done as much as they possibly can to build Java into the open and proof of that lies when you look at the Expert Groups for some of the Java Specification Requests... you'll notice there are quite a few that Sun isn't even a part of.
Edit Again: I didn't actually roast you guys so don't spam me with them, hehe. :P
[/quote]

I am aware that Sun has taken Microsoft to court on multiple occasions. I generalized my reply, and decided not to go to deep into details. I do not take arguments over programming languages to seriously, sorry.

I just think it is fun to argue with people who don't like Java as much as me. I like talking on these forums a lot, so sometimes I do not take things very seriously. I also like Kp, so at the time I felt the need to +1 him, and then let him know for no apparent reason.
February 20, 2004, 7:51 AM
Forged
[quote]
To the few people who have commented about portability, I have one word: WINE.
[/quote]

I have never been able to get wine to work on a constant basis and have just accepted I need to restart my computer and get back on my xp partion when I fill the need to play a computer game...
February 21, 2004, 4:26 AM
Hostile
You're forgiven, but now you're taking me seriously too. Double-edge to that one, I was more or less pointing it out since its really pointless to post over just that.

Oh yeah, and -1 for liking Kp. :P
February 21, 2004, 4:28 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=Hostile link=board=5;threadid=5354;start=15#msg45283 date=1077337699]
You're forgiven, but now you're taking me seriously too. Double-edge to that one, I was more or less pointing it out since its really pointless to post over just that.

Oh yeah, and -1 for liking Kp. :P
[/quote]

I guess I will except that... but only this time!
February 21, 2004, 9:25 AM

Search