Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Smalltalk help anyone?

AuthorMessageTime
ProgGuy
:'(

Does anyone here know Smalltalk? I did a tutorial for making my first application using Visual Age Smalltalk, and I get an error like this when trying to make the app. into an executable:

There are no implementors of #format:caseRule: included in the packaged image.

Since this is a tutorial, I figured the application would work, but apparently it doesn't... any help would be appreciated, thanks.
February 18, 2004, 7:40 PM
Yoni
*intrigued*
Isn't Smalltalk a long-dead language? Why would someone be interested in using it? Interesting.

(Sorry for not being helpful...)
February 18, 2004, 9:47 PM
j0k3r
I *think* there's a language called small that is used to write CS plug ins, it could be a variant of that.
February 18, 2004, 9:57 PM
iago
It's a VERY strongly OOP language. We discussed it for a few classes in OOP, and it was very interesting. I don't think it's dead, it's fairly new. The interpreter is called Squeak.

Sorry I can't help, though :/
February 18, 2004, 11:48 PM
Arta
I thought smalltalk was from the 70s... IIRC, it was one of the first OOP languages. I know it introduced a lot of OOP concepts. I don't think it's used for anything now, I'm not sure if it ever was.
February 19, 2004, 8:48 AM
DaRk-FeAnOr
I am almost certain that Small Talk was the first OO programming language.
February 25, 2004, 3:08 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=DaRk-FeAnOr link=board=5;threadid=5352;start=0#msg45967 date=1077721729]
I am almost certain that Small Talk was the first OO programming language.
[/quote]

It might have been the first language to be completely object-oriented, but I don't think it was the first language to support OOP.
February 25, 2004, 9:34 PM

Search