Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Computer Stereo speakers

AuthorMessageTime
jigsaw
I currently have these lame 2.1 speakers for my laptop with a subwoofer... What is good on the market? Top of the line, Only requirment is that I need the standard 3/4 inch headphone jack to work with my laptop? What kicks some sound ass?
February 18, 2004, 1:38 AM
iago
I saw some really nice USB sound cards at Best Buy. If you do want to be able to do digital sound and the like, you should maybe consider that.
February 18, 2004, 1:57 AM
jigsaw
Iago lookie!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1055770477959&skuId=5694894&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01053

and

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1061770306771&skuId=6000962&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01055

What do you think of those speakers?

February 18, 2004, 2:50 AM
crashtestdummy
Is logitech the best company to get computer speakers from?
I have a rca in plug on my car stereo to plug my tablet into.
The rest of my speakers are crap so id be kinda interested in knowing some good speakers too.

February 18, 2004, 3:23 AM
j0k3r
I've always been more of a fun of just 2 big speakers and a subwoofer(or two). I've had my monsoon set for 3 years now, and it still beats most of what's out on the market(well, the subwoofer blows but I got a nice second woofer for $20). It just seems like the dual speaker system is a higher quality, but if you want the surround sound the 5 satellites are probably better.
February 18, 2004, 3:29 AM
Stealth
If price and size are not of concern to you, I would suggest Klipsch Promedias -- they've been unfailingly praised in every computer mag that I've seen reviewing them, they have 5 stars on Newegg, and they look pretty slick.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=36-119-105&depa=0

Edit: Fixed URL
February 18, 2004, 4:46 AM
Hitmen
If you want top of the line, best quality you can get, you're going to want to go with Klipsch. But if you do, expect to pay out your ass :)

If you want something more affordable Creative Labs would be the way to go.

Both of these companies deliver superb quality for their price.

If you want somehwhere in between, the logitech ones look nice. I can't really say anything about the quality, but people who bought them can. Seems to be only positive reviews, so if that's what you want go for it.
February 18, 2004, 4:56 AM
jigsaw
Hitmen, those seems neat, but notice that sub is only 50W.. or maybe it was 85W I dont remember, and the one I liked was 100W. Wonder if its noticable.. good reviews on that klipsche.. and good price too! Thanks for the post
February 18, 2004, 5:45 AM
MrRaza
I just hooked up my stereo to my computer, and it works great. Especially with my Speakers:

Specifications:
Cabinet Design: Dual Vent Bass Reflex
Operative Power Range: 5 to 200 Watts
Frequency Response: 35hz to 20,000hz
Recomended Amp. Power: 5 to 120 Watts RMS
Crossover: 1,800hz
Efficiency: 96db
Impedance: 6Ohms
Features: Protected with an Overload Protection Circuit
February 18, 2004, 12:48 PM
jigsaw
Up until now I prefered to listen to my coolings fans rather than mp3s.... But yesterday my partner brought in her speakers into the office and played music... man these things were _really_ clear! They were only 99 dollar speakers too... they were logitech... I figured if I got a higher end brand that they would sound even better.. Is sound quality that noticable from a 99 dollar speaker system to a 200 dollar system?
February 18, 2004, 4:10 PM
crashtestdummy
if you liked the $99 ones why not just get those youve heard them and know you like them
February 18, 2004, 9:40 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=jigsaw link=board=2;threadid=5347;start=0#msg44881 date=1077120647]
Up until now I prefered to listen to my coolings fans rather than mp3s.... But yesterday my partner brought in her speakers into the office and played music... man these things were _really_ clear! They were only 99 dollar speakers too... they were logitech... I figured if I got a higher end brand that they would sound even better.. Is sound quality that noticable from a 99 dollar speaker system to a 200 dollar system?
[/quote]
You would hope so wouldn't you... You could also just be paying for raw power, brand name, or even design, so carefully consider what you're buying. Find out the specs on her speakers and compare them with what you're look at (by specs, I mean like the ones MrRaza posted).
February 18, 2004, 9:54 PM
jigsaw
whats the difference between RMS and Continuous Watts when it comes to subs and speakers?
February 19, 2004, 7:48 AM
Hostile
To be breif, speakers can be the most expensive (or atleast tied with displays) thing on your computer. You need to call your price limit before buying them since you could just hook up $200 speakers x 7 + subwoofer and a dozen other things. If you want a nice -laptop- system then obviously you want easily attachable system so its not a chore to hook up to your laptop when you get home every day. Since internal laptop soundcards are rare if existant, and nothing worth noting not to mention then you're dealing with plugging them in each time as well I recommend an external sound card. Heres a list of what would be my prefered products and the best price:dealer quality ratio as of when I looked the prices up.

Audigy 2 NX:
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch.hmx?SCriteria=3344114

Logitech Z-680:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=36-121-105&depa=0

Review wise, the Logitech Z-680 and the Klipsche ProMedia Ultra 5.1 http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=36-119-106&depa=0
are about the same, I looked into the comparison -thuroughly- when I bought mine and although they came out about even to me, Klipsche seemingly having a slightly better subwoofer where Logitechs had a better control panel and digital as well as analog ports(where Klipsche was only analog). Either way the main selling point it quite obvious, Logitechs are $80 cheaper. So your decision between the two should be simple enough as well. The main feature with this setup would obviously be, you're getting an -excelent- external sound card that is USB so once you place all your speakers and hook them up to your sound card, all you need to do to get going is unplug the USB cord and re-plug back in when you get home without any struggle. This of course is still a bit expensive but much worth it if you're looking for a good setup without any hassle.
Edit: Speaker links are being goofy so just highlight + paste the entire url on the line.
February 19, 2004, 9:01 PM
jigsaw
Hey Hostile, thanks a lot... I like external card better than the one that I stated earlier.... klipsche is nice.. i like those logitechs.. but that card is 7.1.. i want 7.1 speakers... not 5.1.. but 5.1 works well :) Anyhow thanks again.
February 19, 2004, 9:27 PM
hismajesty
In my opinion, and the opinions of friends that I've asked, Klipsch is the test with Creative Labs following close behind. I personally have a set made by Creative Labs, so far I like them...except for the fact that I can only use 2 of the 5 speakers since my sound card doesn't support the extra slot that is needed.

Mine:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1061770059362&skuId=5999333&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01055
February 19, 2004, 9:49 PM
Hitmen
If you're looking for 7.1 your looking at probably close to $500. The only ones I've really seen are the Creative Gigaworks 7.1 speakers. You're looking at 700 watts there (6 x 70 Watts Satellites, 210 Watt Subwoofer). The few people that reviewed them seem to think they're great. And with a 210 watt sub...damn, gonna shake the whole house.
February 19, 2004, 9:56 PM
crashtestdummy
for $500 you might as well buy a sony 5 disc dvd changer with surround sound
February 20, 2004, 4:50 AM
Adron
[quote author=crashtestdummy link=board=2;threadid=5347;start=15#msg45130 date=1077252622]
for $500 you might as well buy a sony 5 disc dvd changer with surround sound
[/quote]

You won't get the good sound there though.
February 20, 2004, 8:36 PM
Hostile
hismajesty: The most comparable to the Logitech Z-680 would be the Klipsche ProMedia Ultra 5.1, but as I said it balances out almost identically to the Logitech one and is more expensive.

There are of course other speaker configurations, 6.1 and 7.1 as well as smaller, though less then 5.1 will lack in surround sound if thats what you're really hoping for. Adron and I have talked about this for hours and basically though 6.1 provides the rear speaker which can be a relative pain installation wise, unless you have a 'U' shaped desk or something similar. The benefit is there but I think 5.1 is just the best way to go, and the Logitech Z-680 proved to be the best bang for your buck. As for the 7.1 speaker configuration, You'll see even less benefit with this, as the 2 extra speakers go in back. Besides the obvious pain of installation and such, 7.1 adds a benefit as more to channel sound to a larger area, then much better sound to you sitting in your computer chair. The Creative Gigaworks 7.1 received excelent reviews, and amazing scores for sound output although one review I read mentioned the subwoofer 'burping' when pushed to the extreme. Keep in mind its also a $400 investment which needless to say can be far hard to justify. Unless you're the utmost sound enthusiast its not something you want to invest in. Regardless of not using the maximum satellite configuration for your nice soundcard, I would still invest in it due to the many other benefits of it. http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=2&subcategory=&product=9103 (Mainly 24bit high definition audio with enhancments in capable games and dvd-playback, along with all the ports you'll probably ever need and a remote control to turn your laptop in a media center.)
Other then that the choice is up to you. :P
February 21, 2004, 4:22 AM
Adron
I don't think external sound cards are very good. You lose most of the hardware mixing advantages when you have to send the sound over a low bandwidth connection to an external bus - the CPU will end up having to mix things to fit the pipe.
February 21, 2004, 11:22 AM
Hostile
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=5347;start=15#msg45323 date=1077362543]
I don't think external sound cards are very good. You lose most of the hardware mixing advantages when you have to send the sound over a low bandwidth connection to an external bus - the CPU will end up having to mix things to fit the pipe.
[/quote]

I think USB 2.0 should be fast enough for sound, any millisecond delay would come from the cable length but considering its benefits it will make up for it. Sound quality will be be improved, as well as the conveinence of just having to plug something USB in and out when you have to get going.
February 21, 2004, 4:35 PM
Adron
Sound quality won't be improved from a good internal sound card, and you'll have yet another box to clutter the area around your computer. And I still think you can make faster internal sound cards.
February 21, 2004, 7:14 PM
iago
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=5347;start=15#msg45359 date=1077390888]
Sound quality won't be improved from a good internal sound card, and you'll have yet another box to clutter the area around your computer. And I still think you can make faster internal sound cards.
[/quote]

It's hard to find a good internal sound card that fits in a laptop for a reasonable price.
February 21, 2004, 8:14 PM
Adron
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=5347;start=15#msg45364 date=1077394480]
It's hard to find a good internal sound card that fits in a laptop for a reasonable price.
[/quote]

True, but for a laptop, a 7.1 speaker set probably isn't that interesting, it's a bit too much to carry with you everywhere you go. Surround sound is more of a thing for stationary systems.
February 21, 2004, 8:26 PM

Search