Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Web Development | [PHP] Text Editor

AuthorMessageTime
j0k3r
Alright I just got another job from a guy I've done some stuff with before. This time he has asked me to develope a text editor(similar to the "new mail" one in hotmail) so that he(or his customers) can change how a page looks without having to open it up in notepad and edit through HTML code.

I personally can't see how this can be done using PHP, he said he's seen it done with javascript, so I'd figure it is possible, but like I said I don't see how it can be done. Can somebody enlighten me as to how this could potentially be done?
February 16, 2004, 10:14 PM
j0k3r
Oh yeah he IS paying me for this so I'd be willing to work with someone and give them a cut. I am not asking someone to do this for me, I like learning PHP, but this isn't something I think I'll be able to do alone and might need some guidance on.
February 16, 2004, 10:16 PM
j0k3r
Er, the e-mail I check is wutsyurs@hotmail.com, e-mail me if interested, or my AIM is j0k3rKZ.
February 17, 2004, 1:20 PM
Forged
I know I have seen a tutorial on how to do that somewhere but I am not sure where. try http://www.phpfreaks.com/ I think they probally have it, and if not you can definatlly get help in their forums.
February 18, 2004, 12:30 AM
FLiPPY_
http://www.phpforums.com
Really good forums for PHP
February 19, 2004, 1:48 AM
iago
I did something exactly like that in JSP, if that will help. It's technically proprietary code, but I can show it to you if you want a reference, just don't use it :P

<Edit> it lets them load a text file off the server (verifies it's not binary) that's under some constant length (100kb, I think) and edit it, then save. It also has some Javascript buttons that add html tags. Will that help?
February 19, 2004, 2:18 AM
j0k3r
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO dumbass back button, gotta retype my post.

Iago, yes that would probably help some. My problem lies mostly in that PHP is a scripting language, and once the script is executed nothing else can be done to it (no interactivity really). To do this you would have to reload the page every time a change is made, which isn't very efficient... Also clicking the bold button wouldn't work because as I said, once it's executed there's nothing else that PHP can do (PHP get's output'd as 100% HTML, and only the final result is displayed).

Somebody please correct me? I'd be glad to be wrong in this case.
February 19, 2004, 2:55 AM
iago
Yes, you're right. JSP and any other scripting is the same way.

The way I do it is with a <textarea> containing the page, and a "Save" button at the bottom.
February 19, 2004, 3:11 AM
j0k3r
[quote author=iago link=board=22;threadid=5328;start=0#msg44984 date=1077160310]
Yes, you're right. JSP and any other scripting is the same way.

The way I do it is with a <textarea> containing the page, and a "Save" button at the bottom.
[/quote]
Oooops, didn't read your post thoroughly I thought you said in Java... Yeah for sure it will help then, you know where to find me.
February 19, 2004, 12:32 PM
iago
It would be possible to do it in Java, with an applet, but difficult
February 19, 2004, 2:29 PM
j0k3r
Well this is dead... new thread.

https://davnit.net/bnet/vL/phpbbs/index.php?board=34;action=display;threadid=5382;start=0#lastPost
February 20, 2004, 10:03 PM

Search