Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Bot Creating Guide

AuthorMessageTime
Reaper
Hey, lets be honest. A lot of people want to create bots but don't the the right resources and don't know the first step. Like Me! If someone would put together a pack of the required materials or a program like "Trainer Maker Kit", I would be very thankful. Please e-mail me and get back to this matter.
February 11, 2004, 2:03 PM
iago
Get a game and a packetsniffer (hint: www.ethereal.com) and a compiler (VS6, VS.net, gcc, dev-c++, etc). Get a disassembler/debugger (IDA, W32Dasm, Softice, windbg, even VS or gdb). That's all you need.

Use your packetsniffer to watch the game connect. Do this a few times, and find out what changes. Try changing your password and connecting again, see what changes. Try connecting from your friends computer, or with a different cdkey. Send various chat messages in the channel and see what happens.

After that, you should be able to tell the basic protocol of the game. Then take your debugger, and find where data is send and recieved (send() and recv()). From there, look for where the sent data is created, or where the recieved data is processed.

One you've found that, use your disassembler to go through the create/process functions and find out how they work, and, eventually, write your own software to imitate them.

That's all it takes!!

Of course, there's the option of using other people's work, like BNLS or CSB, but that's not fun.

What you need to know:
- some language, your choice. You also need to know sockets programming.
- assembly

That's it!
February 11, 2004, 2:28 PM
Kp
[quote author=iago link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43655 date=1076509680]That's it![/quote]

Evil iago! He wanted a link to the MFC Bot Creator.
February 11, 2004, 9:17 PM
MoNksBaNe_Agahnim
an MFC bot creator?! good god.... :'(
February 11, 2004, 9:28 PM
Reaper
Yes, an MFC Bot Creator would be nice!! Could someone send the link? :D
February 11, 2004, 9:43 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Reaper~ link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43703 date=1076535830]
[/quote]

Only if you know what the acronym "MFC" stands for.
February 11, 2004, 9:45 PM
hismajesty
[quote]put together a pack of the required materials [/quote]

http://bnetdocs.valhallalegends.com
February 11, 2004, 10:21 PM
Dyndrilliac
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43704 date=1076535944]
[quote author=Reaper~ link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43703 date=1076535830]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Post the link, As I believe the acronym stands for Microsoft Foundation Class.
February 12, 2004, 12:12 AM
Reaper
Lol, I knew it was Microsoft Something Class but I couldn't get the F. I was about to just say "Microwave Filter Company" :P
February 12, 2004, 12:29 AM
Newby
[quote author=Dyndrilliac link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43727 date=1076544730]
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43704 date=1076535944]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think he was joking ..
February 12, 2004, 12:32 AM
Reaper
Who was joking?
February 12, 2004, 12:35 AM
Dyndrilliac
[quote author=Newby link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43734 date=1076545953]
[quote author=Dyndrilliac link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43727 date=1076544730]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think he was joking ..

[/quote]

You might be right :P
February 12, 2004, 12:41 AM
Reaper
[quote]

I think he was joking ..

You might be right :P
[/quote]

Who was joking?
February 12, 2004, 12:46 AM
Kp
[quote author=Newby link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43734 date=1076545953]I think he was joking ..[/quote]

No, I was quite serious. Someone's actually posted screenshots of it before. I couldn't find them on a cursory search, so didn't include them in my original post.
February 12, 2004, 12:51 AM
Reaper
[quote author=Kp link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43740 date=1076547072]
[quote author=Newby link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43734 date=1076545953]I think he was joking ..[/quote]

No, I was quite serious. Someone's actually posted screenshots of it before. I couldn't find them on a cursory search, so didn't include them in my original post.
[/quote]

Hmm, screenshots eh? How do you know they weren't like a prank or something? :-\
February 12, 2004, 12:54 AM
Spht
[quote author=Reaper~ link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43742 date=1076547267]
[quote author=Kp link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43740 date=1076547072]

[/quote]

Hmm, screenshots eh? How do you know they weren't like a prank or something? :-\
[/quote]

Naa.

[img]http://www.ninjazone.net/botwiz.gif[/img]
(provided by EvilCheese)
February 12, 2004, 12:59 AM
Dyndrilliac
ROFLMAO.

I didn't know you were referring to THAT leet piece of software.
February 12, 2004, 1:06 AM
Reaper
Hmm...
February 12, 2004, 1:10 AM
iago
[quote author=Kp link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43696 date=1076534235]
[quote author=iago link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43655 date=1076509680]That's it![/quote]

Evil iago! He wanted a link to the MFC Bot Creator.
[/quote]

I was just saying the best way to do it. Sure BNetDocs and MFC Bot Creator and such are great, but they are only good for Battle.net. If somebody wants to actually learn something, they should do it the right way :)
February 12, 2004, 3:22 AM
Reaper
[quote author=iago link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=15#msg43779 date=1076556147]

I was just saying the best way to do it. Sure BNetDocs and MFC Bot Creator and such are great, but they are only good for Battle.net. If somebody wants to actually learn something, they should do it the right way :)
[/quote]

I agree iago, but all I really want to do right now is create a bot for B.net. :) So something like MFC bot Creator would probably do just fine.
February 12, 2004, 3:32 AM
Null
I just got a whole lot dumber from reading this topic
February 12, 2004, 4:10 AM
Hamtaro
[quote author=iago link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43655 date=1076509680]
Get a game and a packetsniffer (hint: www.ethereal.com) and a compiler (VS6, VS.net, gcc, dev-c++, etc). Get a disassembler/debugger (IDA, W32Dasm, Softice, windbg, even VS or gdb). That's all you need.

Use your packetsniffer to watch the game connect. Do this a few times, and find out what changes. Try changing your password and connecting again, see what changes. Try connecting from your friends computer, or with a different cdkey. Send various chat messages in the channel and see what happens.

After that, you should be able to tell the basic protocol of the game. Then take your debugger, and find where data is send and recieved (send() and recv()). From there, look for where the sent data is created, or where the recieved data is processed.

One you've found that, use your disassembler to go through the create/process functions and find out how they work, and, eventually, write your own software to imitate them.

That's all it takes!!

Of course, there's the option of using other people's work, like BNLS or CSB, but that's not fun.

What you need to know:
- assembly

That's it!
[/quote]

how do i figure out what the packets mean? i did the capture but the only ones i can tell what they are = the realm one, game type one, and cd key one.. one says stealth and i was using stealthbot but why would stealth be in a packet to bnet..?
February 12, 2004, 5:24 AM
Stealth
[quote author=Hamtaro link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=15#msg43799 date=1076563477]
how do i figure out what the packets mean? i did the capture but the only ones i can tell what they are = the realm one, game type one, and cd key one.. one says stealth and i was using stealthbot but why would stealth be in a packet to bnet..?
[/quote]

Most likely because StealthBot's BNLS account ID is "stealth".
February 12, 2004, 5:40 AM
Hamtaro
oh.. i shouldnt be using stealth neway ^^; i just realized that it uses bnls and i want to use hashes..

but i still wonder how i understand what these packets mean.. can any1 plz help me?
February 12, 2004, 5:50 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Hamtaro link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=15#msg43802 date=1076565007]
oh.. i shouldnt be using stealth neway ^^; i just realized that it uses bnls and i want to use hashes..

but i still wonder how i understand what these packets mean.. can any1 plz help me?
[/quote]

mmmm.... the wonderful ability of people to read......

[quote author=hismajesty link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43708 date=1076538098]
[quote]put together a pack of the required materials [/quote]

http://bnetdocs.valhallalegends.com
[/quote]
February 12, 2004, 6:04 AM
Gangz
[quote author=NuLL link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=15#msg43788 date=1076559040]
I just got a whole lot dumber from reading this topic
[/quote]

I agree :D ... Why would you want to make a bot with software someone else made? And then you are ganna put it out there and call it yours... pff either you learn or you dont? If you cant do it yourself maybe ask someone who might do it? but why take the credit for putting a few checkmarks in the program and pressing "make"...I am not the best of programmers.. But hey, i take pride in the work i do.. It makes me mad to see others freeload off of anything they get their hands on
February 12, 2004, 6:08 AM
Null
i still think your missing the point
February 12, 2004, 7:26 AM
iago
[quote author=Hamtaro link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=15#msg43799 date=1076563477]
[quote author=iago link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43655 date=1076509680]

That's all it takes!!

What you need to know:
- assembly

That's it!
[/quote]

[/quote]

First of all, I said get a GAME, not another bot :P

Second, start with wc2 or sc or bw or d2 open. Realms just complicate things, and aren't really important for now.

It should be fairly logical what does what, and reading BNetDocs will help. Reread my first reply, I tell you pretty much how to figure out what is your cdkey, what is your password, etc. Just log on twice, using the same cdkey/username/a different password.

Another thing I did, which helped, was create a fake server. I basically just echoed to the client EXACTLY what the server was sending me. Then I would make small changes to the server's responses and see how the client responded. That will help a lot, and, although it's not hard, it's a little tiresome :)
February 12, 2004, 2:02 PM
Reaper
Actually, you all missed the point... I didn't say it was gonna be this cool bot which I make a website for and everything. I just wanted a bot to be included with something I'm making. I don't care if all I did was fill in a couple check marks to make it. I want to learn to be a programmer later in life. Right now, I'm interested in web design and some programming. All I wanted was something that would be easy to do. But, with the exception from Myndfire, you all have been arguing with each other instead of helping. At lease myndfire tried to help me.
February 12, 2004, 2:08 PM
Reaper
And Iago helped some too
February 12, 2004, 2:10 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Reaper~ link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=15#msg43836 date=1076594937]
Actually, you all missed the point... I didn't say it was gonna be this cool bot which I make a website for and everything. I just wanted a bot to be included with something I'm making. I don't care if all I did was fill in a couple check marks to make it. I want to learn to be a programmer later in life. Right now, I'm interested in web design and some programming. All I wanted was something that would be easy to do. But, with the exception from Myndfire, you all have been arguing with each other instead of helping. At lease myndfire tried to help me.
[/quote]

I think iago tried to help you. I tried to criticize your lack of reading the information that other people stated. :p

Anyway -- I was a programmer for various other things for over four years before I got near the ability to work on a bot. Once I got there, it took me four months just to figure out who to connect a socket to Battle.net (Granted, I wasn't using the OCX -- it was just a little lower-level).

If you want to be a programmer when you get older, and you're already familiar with making websites and (perhaps) using dynamic HTML, I would get into a Javascript tutorial at Webmonkey:

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/programming/javascript/tutorials/tutorial1.html

which is where I got started. Applying the principles I learned there, I managed to write a completely-client-side search engine. Granted, it could be slow, and it required the data to be embedded within the page, but it worked, dammit.

From there, I got involved with Microsoft's server-side ASP scripting, using Javascript (er, Microsoft's ripoff of JavaScript, JScript). I taught myself how that worked, and put together a really nice dynamic page for my clan. You can find a good ASP tutorial at MSDN at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnasp/html/asptutorial.asp?frame=true

Granted, a lot of the code is in VBScript. It doesn't take much to convert.

From there, I was working on ASP just as the .NET Platform was rolling out Beta 1. I started looking at the ASP+ specs, and found out that the new JScript would be a compiled language, and I thought, "Wow! Using programming I already know, I can make real programs!!!" Yes, I was a 1337 n3wb, but I jumped on the bandwagon. As time progressed I found out that JScript really sux0rs for compiled programs, and made the transition to C#. Now that I know C# as well as I do, I've been able to really make strides in OOP. I've written a few articles for my Windows Interest Group at school about good object-oriented programming practices, and I had offered a C# class but was unable to fulfill it as my laptop went to crap over winter break. I was a C# programmer for a full year and a half before I ever touched Sockets programming, which is a new aspect of .NET that I learned when I started getting involved with Battle.net botmaking.

The bot that I wrote has a specific purpose for my clan -- a slightly modified version is used to keep the channel list and our users information up-to-date on our website. Since the website is now a .NET application, I used the quick distributed computing using SOAP that the .NET framework provides.

In the future, if you're the last poster, don't post a reply to yourself -- edit your most recent post. :) thanks.

Hope this gives you some direction. You can't "just make a bot" -- you need to practice and hone your programming skills.
February 12, 2004, 3:42 PM
iago
[quote author=Reaper~ link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=0#msg43652 date=1076508226]
Hey, lets be honest. A lot of people want to create bots but don't the the right resources and don't know the first step. Like Me! If someone would put together a pack of the required materials or a program like "Trainer Maker Kit", I would be very thankful. Please e-mail me and get back to this matter.
[/quote]
You wanted the resources and the first step to making a bot. That's what I gave you.

[quote author=Reaper~ link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=15#msg43836 date=1076594937]
[/quote]
And now I'm missing the point because you just wanted a bot to be a small piece of what you're making, simply filling in a couple of check marks to make it?

You went from wanting a guide on how to make a bot to a program that does it for you.
February 12, 2004, 5:42 PM
Kp
[quote author=Gangz link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=15#msg43807 date=1076566134]I agree :D ... Why would you want to make a bot with software someone else made?[/quote]

So you write your own compilers in machine code, and use those to create your bot(s)? I find it very convenient to use premade compilers such as VC or gcc -- saves me much work.
February 12, 2004, 6:17 PM
Gangz
[quote author=Kp link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=30#msg43853 date=1076609861]
[quote author=Gangz link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=15#msg43807 date=1076566134]I agree :D ... Why would you want to make a bot with software someone else made?[/quote]

So you write your own compilers in machine code, and use those to create your bot(s)? I find it very convenient to use premade compilers such as VC or gcc -- saves me much work.
[/quote]

a bit technical aren't we?
February 12, 2004, 6:34 PM
Hamtaro
i just want to know what the processes are that get you connected to battle.net and kind of try to use what i learn as i learn to try and get it to work. i heard someone mention they made their own server?.. how do u do that? id like to do that and be safer bcuz i dont know battle.net's rules or what theyd do if i did something wrong and sent a bad packet.. dont want my cd key banned :P

and im confused on packets.. even after looking thru bnetdocs i dont really understand what packets *are*.. i see that they are what looks like hex that both client and server send and read.. but i dont get why they are what looks like hex.. bah u can just ignore this whole paragraph if its something ill learn by learning a language. <-- that sentence there.. i can see that either being logical or make me look even stupider to ppl who know what they are talking about ^^; oh well..
February 12, 2004, 9:58 PM
UserLoser.
[quote author=Hamtaro link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=30#msg43876 date=1076623131]
i just want to know what the processes are that get you connected to battle.net and kind of try to use what i learn as i learn to try and get it to work. i heard someone mention they made their own server?.. how do u do that? id like to do that and be safer bcuz i dont know battle.net's rules or what theyd do if i did something wrong and sent a bad packet.. dont want my cd key banned :P

and im confused on packets.. even after looking thru bnetdocs i dont really understand what packets *are*.. i see that they are what looks like hex that both client and server send and read.. but i dont get why they are what looks like hex.. bah u can just ignore this whole paragraph if its something ill learn by learning a language. <-- that sentence there.. i can see that either being logical or make me look even stupider to ppl who know what they are talking about ^^; oh well..
[/quote]

Some info:

Yes Blizzard made their own servers, you just need some Winsock and Windows programming knowledge along with much more.

If you send a bad packet, the worst that can happen is a ~30 minute IP ban from the servers.

A packet is data, data that you (the client), send to the destination (in this case, the Battle.net server). Packets aren't necessarly read in hex (just in packet loggers they have hex dumps)
February 12, 2004, 10:03 PM
Hamtaro
[quote author=iago link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=15#msg43833 date=1076594571]

Second, start with wc2 or sc or bw or d2 open. Realms just complicate things, and aren't really important for now.

It should be fairly logical what does what, and reading BNetDocs will help. Reread my first reply, I tell you pretty much how to figure out what is your cdkey, what is your password, etc. Just log on twice, using the same cdkey/username/a different password.

Another thing I did, which helped, was create a fake server. I basically just echoed to the client EXACTLY what the server was sending me. Then I would make small changes to the server's responses and see how the client responded. That will help a lot, and, although it's not hard, it's a little tiresome :)
[/quote]

that is what i want to know how to do

-thx for the info btw, userloser.
February 12, 2004, 10:12 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Hamtaro link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=30#msg43883 date=1076623965]
[quote author=iago link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=15#msg43833 date=1076594571]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hamtaro, this is getting to be excessively trite.

First, do you know anything about networking? If I said that the Battle.net protocol is an Application-Layer Protocol, would you understand what that means? Do you know what a Socket is, or what Winsock is? Do you know how data is encoded inside of a computer, what a "data type" is, or the slightest idea how to program?

Do you understand that there aren't actually little letters hidden inside your hard drive and your RAM sticks? Do you know that letters are actually encoded into (i.e. represented by) numbers within a computer, which are really encoded in little tiny switches called transistors?

THAT is what you see in a hex dump of a packet log. You see numbers and letters encoded in their own respective, standardized ways.

If you don't understand what these things are, you are very, very far away from being able to make a mock server and a bot.
February 12, 2004, 11:39 PM
iago
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=30#msg43908 date=1076629185]
If I said that the Battle.net protocol is an Application-Layer Protocol, would you understand what that means?[/quote]
No :)

And about the mock-server: it doesn't do anything special, it just echos what battle.net did on one particular time. It doesn't react to things like invalid keys, it doesn't let you chat, it doesn't let you do anything except log in. The only reason I did it was to test how the client responds to different things sent to it.
February 13, 2004, 1:12 AM
Hamtaro
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=30#msg43908 date=1076629185]
[quote author=Hamtaro link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=30#msg43883 date=1076623965]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hamtaro, this is getting to be excessively trite.

First, do you know anything about networking? *1*If I said that the Battle.net protocol is an Application-Layer Protocol, would you understand what that means? *2*Do you know what a Socket is, or what Winsock is? *3*Do you know how data is encoded inside of a computer, what a "data type" is, or the slightest idea how to program?

*4*Do you understand that there aren't actually little letters hidden inside your hard drive and your RAM sticks? *5*Do you know that letters are actually encoded into (i.e. represented by) numbers within a computer, which are really encoded in little tiny switches called transistors?

THAT is what you see in a hex dump of a packet log. You see numbers and letters encoded in their own respective, standardized ways.

If you don't understand what these things are, you are very, very far away from being able to make a mock server and a bot.
[/quote]

1: no
2: no
3: yes and no.. im learning how to program and i understand data types
4: :o no way! ;) j/k but seriously.. stupid question even for me =P
5: well i dont know what transistors are.. but i understand what binary is if thats what ur asking =X

was that a test?
5 questions i scored a 2 and a half! so round it up to a 3/5 and i pass ^^;

-edit-
but i think u think im planning to program it right now and im not.. i just want to find out what exactly happens when ur connecting to battle.net and to understand what the code is *supposed* to do.. i dont already have to know a programming language to find that out do i?
February 13, 2004, 1:17 AM
Hamtaro
[quote author=iago link=board=17;threadid=5226;start=30#msg43946 date=1076634778]
If I said that the Battle.net protocol is an Application-Layer Protocol, would you understand what that means?[/quote]
No :)

And about the mock-server: it doesn't do anything special, it just echos what battle.net did on one particular time. It doesn't react to things like invalid keys, it doesn't let you chat, it doesn't let you do anything except log in. The only reason I did it was to test how the client responds to different things sent to it.
[/quote]
if thats all it is, how is it going to respond differently to different things?
February 13, 2004, 1:20 AM
MesiaH
The MFC bot creator screen shot is on Maddox's website, which is usually down 80% of the time, but this is the link my history shows me:

http://24.6.129.213/images/BotWiz.gif
February 15, 2004, 5:56 PM

Search