Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Mandrake 9.1

AuthorMessageTime
Crypticflare
I recently reformatted one of my other computers, and setup Mandrake 9.1 on it, I've done some reading, and I've been working in the KDE desktop scheme. Is this a relatively alright linux based O.S to be using? or should I start with something easier? I've been working on it for a couple hours, I'm sorta getting the hang of the linux environment, which for what I could accomplish its pretty interesting, and neat to see it in action. Though I have been getting troubles with setting up a zDS client so I could connect to battle.net for chatting purposes. Any suggestions of helpful tips from the other linux users out there?
February 6, 2004, 3:29 AM
K
Download the latest dmbot and run it under wine, as Adron (?) suggested. Works great.
February 6, 2004, 4:35 AM
cipher
Or follow my nifty little doc that I wrote for Eurijk which focuses on remote installs, but can be followed for local installs:
http://newds.zefga.net/index.cgi?d=shell

edit:
btw, Mandrake is just about as easy as it can get. If you stick with it, you'll find that you'll want more control, and you'll find yourself interested in other distributions.
February 6, 2004, 4:53 AM
Crypticflare
The document totally helped, thanks a bunch. I'm rather enjoying this now.
February 6, 2004, 6:27 AM
iago
[quote author=cipher link=board=2;threadid=5103;start=0#msg42738 date=1076043223]
btw, Mandrake is just about as easy as it can get. If you stick with it, you'll find that you'll want more control, and you'll find yourself interested in other distributions.
[/quote]

Being a masochist, I'm going the other way. Starting with Slackware (where doing most stuff involves editing config files) and eventually getting something easier, probably.
February 6, 2004, 12:46 PM
Thing
Hey Iago, if you want to really embrace your masochism, let me know.
I have some old school RedHat 3.0 and Slack 3.1 disks. They come with
a variety of antiquated kernels. :)
February 6, 2004, 2:19 PM
Telos
<$0.02>
I learned using Slack 3.5 on a 486 DX/2
Needless to say that was fun
</$0.02>
February 6, 2004, 3:24 PM

Search