Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | picture in rtb

AuthorMessageTime
Is there any posible way to put a bitmap in a rich text box?
March 16, 2003, 2:06 AM
Zakath
Of course! I'm not sure why'd you want to, though...It'd be much easier to create the APPEARANCE of a bitmap in a RTB than to actually put one in it.

If you insist, though...look into owner-drawn controls.
March 16, 2003, 3:35 AM
Grok
Zakath is correct.  Creating the appearance of a picture background on a RichTextBox could be done by making the window transparent.  Draw a real picture box behind the RichText, and make it host your image.  The image will show through to some degree depending on your mask values.

Drawing the background yourself is easier in this context, and produces a better looking output, plus is supported on more platforms.  Transparent windows are Windows 2000 and later.  Win95/98 will not do them.
March 16, 2003, 1:12 PM
dRAgoN
[quote]Zakath is correct.  Creating the appearance of a picture background on a RichTextBox could be done by making the window transparent.  Draw a real picture box behind the RichText, and make it host your image.  The image will show through to some degree depending on your mask values.

Drawing the background yourself is easier in this context, and produces a better looking output, plus is supported on more platforms.  Transparent windows are Windows 2000 and later.  Win95/98 will not do them.[/quote]

Nor will WinMe asfar as i have seen.
March 16, 2003, 9:44 PM
Atom
I think he meant putting pictures IN the rtb like smilies. You can force this on the rtb control by pasting the image in with code. You could also try BitBlt api.
March 16, 2003, 10:35 PM
Camel
[quote]

Nor will WinMe asfar as i have seen.[/quote]

transparent windows are a feature of NT5+
ME is built off of 98, not NT

by the way, Win2000=NT5 and WinXP=NT5.1
March 16, 2003, 11:28 PM
St0rm.iD
It's on pscode, basically you copy the image to the clipboard and send a WM_PASTE message to the rtb.
March 16, 2003, 11:47 PM
MesiaH
Yes storm, but if he is trying to paste images into an rtb, which is already a rather large object alone, if you combine images, which colors, and tons of text, you get lag++. Buddha Bot uses WM_PASTE for it smileys, but untill i find a more memory effecient method, im making it an option the user can enable/disable, because of the lag it brings after so long...
March 17, 2003, 12:22 AM
Camel
[quote]Yes storm, but if he is trying to paste images into an rtb, which is already a rather large object alone, if you combine images, which colors, and tons of text, you get lag++. Buddha Bot uses WM_PASTE for it smileys, but untill i find a more memory effecient method, im making it an option the user can enable/disable, because of the lag it brings after so long...[/quote]
just clear the box after x lines
March 17, 2003, 11:33 PM
Skywing
[quote]
just clear the box after x lines[/quote]
That's kind of not very user friendly.  I don't know about you, but I don't like text I'm trying to read suddenly disappearing because a certain limit was reached.  A better solution might be to remove lines from the top of the richedit after a certain number of lines are present.
March 18, 2003, 2:01 PM
Camel
[quote]
That's kind of not very user friendly.  I don't know about you, but I don't like text I'm trying to read suddenly disappearing because a certain limit was reached.  A better solution might be to remove lines from the top of the richedit after a certain number of lines are present.[/quote]
*cough* quazi-flame

and yeah, that's what i do, but i assure you there was a large time gap between when i first made it clear chat and when it was able to do that :-X
March 18, 2003, 7:17 PM
Skywing
[quote]
*cough* quazi-flame

and yeah, that's what i do, but i assure you there was a large time gap between when i first made it clear chat and when it was able to do that :-X[/quote]
Not a flame at all.  You'll notice there were no personal attacks or any such things; my post was merely stating my opinions towards a subject as well as observations I've made regarding other user's opinions on the same subject.

Discussion of ideas is how progress is made; forums are a great place to publicly debate ideas, and I'll hope you'll agree that suppressing such debates, so long as they're not degraded to personal attacks, is counter-productive.
March 19, 2003, 2:05 PM
Camel
[quote]
Not a flame at all.  You'll notice there were no personal attacks or any such things; my post was merely stating my opinions towards a subject as well as observations I've made regarding other user's opinions on the same subject.

Discussion of ideas is how progress is made; forums are a great place to publicly debate ideas, and I'll hope you'll agree that suppressing such debates, so long as they're not degraded to personal attacks, is counter-productive.[/quote]

the reason i said quazi-flame and not flame is because you were just verging on being pretentious

[quote]I don't know about you, but I don't like text I'm trying to read suddenly disappearing because a certain limit was reached.[/quote]
March 21, 2003, 2:20 PM

Search