Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Windows Longhorn

AuthorMessageTime
DVX
i just decided to start a new topic on this since i thought a number of people would want to shar their input on it, and learn something about it

i read an article on windows longhorn, and it stated a few things about it:
- microsoft is trying to make more developers go to .net.
- microsoft is pretty much abandoning the win32 api and moving towards their other api's based on .net
- microsoft is making a new server system, desktop os (obviously), and other things with the longhorn technology
- an advancement on the current ntfs file system
- usage of the new sql server 2003 and xml technologies
- advanced graphics
- new interface
- etc.

what do you know about longhorn as of now? any comments..?
February 3, 2004, 7:22 PM
Kp
[quote author=DVX link=board=2;threadid=5063;start=0#msg42455 date=1075836124]
what do you know about longhorn as of now? any comments..?[/quote]

Based on all that, I can't see any home user upgrading without need (i.e. "I need to upgrade because I work from home and I'm expected to write code for Longhorn"). :P You should include a link to the article, so we can check up on it for ourselves.
February 3, 2004, 8:09 PM
DVX
sorry about that, here it is:
http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/longhorn.asp
February 3, 2004, 11:25 PM
MrRaza
I'd like to see what the desktops are going to be looking like, since it requires, "3D video hardware to render special effects that will make the screen more photorealistic and deep".
February 3, 2004, 11:35 PM
Myndfyr
The WinFS File System is IMHO the part geared toward home 'tards. It increases file search speed by letting you search for metadata, e.g., you have a picture of Bob at last year's company golf outing. You probably have the digital photo called MCV1005.jpg or something. You can do a search for "bob golf" and it will come up because of the associated metadata.

That speeds up search speed, too, by using a database index to remember where files are located rather than by using an actual individual file search.
February 3, 2004, 11:57 PM
MesiaH
Indexing has been around for a while now...
February 5, 2004, 4:12 AM
TheMinistered
I wonder why Microsoft is deciding to use all these retarded code names such as Avalon, or Indigo
February 5, 2004, 4:27 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=TheMinistered link=board=2;threadid=5063;start=0#msg42657 date=1075998469]
I wonder why Microsoft is deciding to use all these retarded code names such as Avalon, or Indigo
[/quote]
A lot of software companies use code names...
February 5, 2004, 7:13 PM
iago
Heh, when me and Eibro (back then, Cpt`Rape) were working on d2backstab.com, we called it Project Mallow :)
February 6, 2004, 12:08 AM

Search