Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Gaming Discussion | D2 Spambots

AuthorMessageTime
iago
Ugh, there's one that joins games, now. Somehow, he manages to join every public game I play in, and he can't be squelched because "User is not logged onto battle.net".

Why hasn't Blizzard banned this account yet? :(
February 2, 2004, 12:48 AM
j0k3r
Because blizz doesn't care anymore.

A simple method of blocking this (and nobody does it because they are idiots) is to set a level restriction to keep level 1s out (so level restriction = your level - 2).

(NOTE: It's a level 1 character)
February 2, 2004, 2:39 AM
iago
Ah, that's a good idea. I'll do that from now on!
February 2, 2004, 2:48 AM
Newby
I've seen a level 98, level 67, level 54 join the same game I was in and spam. So really, hope that your level restrictions are good or the game is private.
February 2, 2004, 4:21 AM
j0k3r
How long ago was this? I haven't played D2 in 2 days and the only thing I saw before that was a level 1.
February 2, 2004, 12:31 PM
iago
I saw level 1 only. But this is hardcore ladder.. maybe on softcore they have better characters?
February 2, 2004, 2:03 PM
Crypticflare
Iago you play HC Ladder as well? You should hit me up sometime, I've massed quite a bit of fortune on D2, if yo need some lower level items to get your characters going :)
February 2, 2004, 3:52 PM
iago
[quote author=Crypticflare link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=0#msg42294 date=1075737163]
Iago you play HC Ladder as well? You should hit me up sometime, I've massed quite a bit of fortune on D2, if yo need some lower level items to get your characters going :)
[/quote]

That's exactly the thing I try to avoid, I like to do everything for myself. There's more pride that way, it's more exciting to find a new item and such. I tend to solo :)

Thanks, though!
February 2, 2004, 6:29 PM
Grok
[quote author=iago link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=0#msg42301 date=1075746557]
[quote author=Crypticflare link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=0#msg42294 date=1075737163]
[/quote]

That's exactly the thing I try to avoid, I like to do everything for myself. There's more pride that way, it's more exciting to find a new item and such. I tend to solo :)

Thanks, though!
[/quote]

Play team solo. Or, failing that, Hans Solo.
February 2, 2004, 7:18 PM
j0k3r
[/quote]

You still play Cryptic? I recently quit, and I think I'm going to make about $250 off my 'fortune'.

I can't stand to play this game anymore, the retarded realm down bugs, bugged enemies, and somehow I lag in D2 with a radeon9700.
February 2, 2004, 10:18 PM
Newby
Yeah, the bot was in hardcore ladder on USWest. :)
February 3, 2004, 3:17 AM
Skywing
You could write a hack to filter out all messages pertaining to somebody if they are only in the game for a very short period of time, similar to how we filter out floodbot spam in channels.
February 5, 2004, 5:53 AM
iago
[quote author=Skywing link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=0#msg42635 date=1075960400]
You could write a hack to filter out all messages pertaining to somebody if they are only in the game for a very short period of time, similar to how we filter out floodbot spam in channels.
[/quote]

I was considering doing that. I don't have any of the functions for 1.1 found, though, and because I rarely play public games, I dont think it's worth the time. But I still might :)

<Edit> Another option might be to make squelches client-side.
February 6, 2004, 2:08 PM
Skywing
[quote author=iago link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=0#msg42777 date=1076076528]
[quote author=Skywing link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=0#msg42635 date=1075960400]
[/quote]

I was considering doing that. I don't have any of the functions for 1.1 found, though, and because I rarely play public games, I dont think it's worth the time. But I still might :)

[/quote]
Doing that still makes it require manual work from the user to combat automatic spam. Not good.
February 10, 2004, 5:20 PM
iago
[quote author=Skywing link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=0#msg43517 date=1076433604]
[quote author=iago link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=0#msg42777 date=1076076528]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Doing that still makes it require manual work from the user to combat automatic spam. Not good.
[/quote]

True, but it's the easiest way. Plus, all it is is clicking a button.
February 11, 2004, 6:18 PM
Tron
[quote author=iago link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=0#msg42290 date=1075730592]
I saw level 1 only. But this is hardcore ladder.. maybe on softcore they have better characters?
[/quote]
I play on Softcore, and in hell mode I still see level 1's and 2's of the spambots. Pretty much a waste of time in my view, nobody buys that stuff anyways! The spambot I see most is that Team VIP one or whatever, They're so annoying. Why can't they just think of new advertising schemes?
February 20, 2004, 9:09 AM
j0k3r
Because it might be affective? Alot more people buy D2 items than you think, go search "diablo 2 hardcore useast ladder" in ebay (why, just last night I made over $110). I have looked at their sites (on another computer, for safety reasons) and they do NOT have items for the hardcore realm, it is a bit of a waste of time(unless they sold out, doubtfully).

They are annoying, but they do work, which is why they don't bother with a new advertising scheme. Their two choices are pretty much to spam the channels of spam the games, and I'm pretty sure they're doing both.
February 20, 2004, 12:29 PM
warz
Good analysis.
February 20, 2004, 1:54 PM
iago
A friend of mine made a lot of money selling items to those places. I'm talking 5 digits, american.
February 22, 2004, 1:04 AM
j0k3r
He's my idol then.

I spent quite a bit of time looking through ebay auctions for a dupe hack, was willing to pay upwards of $250 for one, but after purchasing some 'methods' for 3.49, I got discouraged because they were methods which were rare (realm down, server lag). Anywho I made $10 reselling the 'duping methods' already so it's all good, but damn, never trust people.

I wish I had been around when the rune dupe was happening, I've purchased from a guy several times, had the chance to talk to him he's made thousands off it...
February 22, 2004, 1:44 AM
Tron
[quote author=iago link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=15#msg45416 date=1077411893]
A friend of mine made a lot of money selling items to those places. I'm talking 5 digits, american.
[/quote]
That's incredible lmao. To think people actually buy this stuff? I never turned to this because it's a giant violation of the Terms and Agreement, And it's a waste because after my brother magic finding for a week would find it. I think they should close the accounts selling with PayPal/eBay. The Terms and Agreement says somewhere: "Everything in the game is property of Blizzard Entertainment and Battle.net" So you can't really sell that kind of stuff.
February 26, 2004, 10:00 AM
Hitmen
[quote author=Tron link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=15#msg46114 date=1077789618]
[quote author=iago link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=15#msg45416 date=1077411893]
[/quote]
That's incredible lmao. To think people actually buy this stuff? I never turned to this because it's a giant violation of the Terms and Agreement, And it's a waste because after my brother magic finding for a week would find it. I think they should close the accounts selling with PayPal/eBay. The Terms and Agreement says somewhere: "Everything in the game is property of Blizzard Entertainment and Battle.net" So you can't really sell that kind of stuff.
[/quote]
That's why they all say "The items remain the property of blizzard entertainment, you are paying for the time taken to find the item" or something to that effect.
February 26, 2004, 7:57 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=Tron link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=15#msg46114 date=1077789618]
[/quote]
[/quote]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33883&item=3074672863
That's mine, now let's go look at a random D2 item post...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3080148844&category=33883

As you can see, the delivery of the item and time spent finding the item can be charged as a service, and there is nothing blizzard can do about it...

Let's see blizzard's take on ebay...
"How does Blizzard plan on dealing with the selling of items on Ebay?
The selling of characters or items is not a feature supported in World of Warcraft. Any users that choose to participate in this activity do so at their own risk. Blizzard will not facilitate nor mediate in the sale or trading of characters/items. "
http://www.blizzard.com/wow/faq/faq_support.shtml

Obviously the same goes for Diablo2, as they do not interfere.

Note: Tron, you should think before you post, or don't post at all, I'm beginning to get tired of making you look like an idiot.
February 26, 2004, 9:55 PM
DrivE
Tron pay no attention to the twit reply whore (Hey j0k3r :P). And j0k3r... you shouldn't look down on him just because he didn't draw a connection that really isn't even that apparent. Give him a break its not like you haven't ever screwed up.

Also, Blizzard does facilitate trading of items in Diablo 2.
February 26, 2004, 10:45 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=Hazard link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=15#msg46201 date=1077835537]
Tron pay no attention to the twit reply whore (Hey j0k3r :P).
[/quote]
As opposed to being a twit new thread whore?

[quote author=Hazard link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=15#msg46201 date=1077835537]
And j0k3r... you shouldn't look down on him just because he didn't draw a connection that really isn't even that apparent. Give him a break its not like you haven't ever screwed up.
[/quote]
Who said I looked down on him? I guess it did come off as a little harsh, I tend to think if I know it then everyone knows it (I don't usually know more than people in given areas).

Also, Blizzard does facilitate trading of items in Diablo 2.
[/quote]
IN Diablo 2, not over ebay for money, they don't want to get involved in every scam case on ebay, and have legal issues about money to deal with.
February 26, 2004, 10:58 PM
DrivE
New thread whore? Huh?

You told him you were tired of making him look like an idiot. Stop making an ass of **yourself with your attempts at superiority.

The point is that you made it seem as if Blizzard does not deal in trading of accounts/items in D2, when in fact they do deal in trading of items.
February 26, 2004, 11:06 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=Hazard link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=15#msg46213 date=1077836797]
New thread whore? Huh?

You told him you were tired of making him look like an idiot. Stop making an ass of himself with your attempts at superiority.

The point is that you made it seem as if Blizzard does not deal in trading of accounts/items in D2, when in fact they do deal in trading of items.
[/quote]
Now I'm going out on a limb and calling you a dumbass.

If you don't reply to threads, you start them, which is where I got 'new thread' from, was that really so hard?

I am getting tired of correcting him about ebay things that are totally outrageous, and often contradictory. And I can only assume you meant to say "yourself", not "himself".

Re-read that last part of my post, the question pertains to EBAY, as is stated very blatently.

Why did you even get involved? You had nothing to do with any of this.
February 26, 2004, 11:33 PM
DrivE
I got involved because you are picking on some kid when in fact you should just leave him alone... if you hate what he says so much don't read his posts. Its as simple as that.

I still don't get how being a new-thread whore has anything to do with anything.

Just leave the guy alone... its as simple as that.
February 26, 2004, 11:35 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=15#msg46207 date=1077836297]
Tron pay no attention to the twit reply whore (Hey j0k3r :P).
[/quote]
As opposed to being a twit new thread whore?
[/quote]
It's bound to sink in eventually, just keep reading it. Not reading his posts is kind of hard, seeing as how I just read posts, not caring about who posted what until I get to the end. Had that been skywing who was seriously saying those things I'd have acted no differently.

My last couple of posts have been directed towards you. In the post I did flame him in I tried to give him some advice at the end, so it wasn't in total vain. If I hadn't replied and corrected him, he'd still have his preconceived notions about ebay and D2.

To get back on topic, not everyone on ebay buys items just to use them, some people use them to find or trade for other items, and resell for a profit. As I'm sure I've said before, a couple weeks ago I bought some runes for $100 and made a $50 profit by reselling them.
February 26, 2004, 11:40 PM
iago
I didn't actually read this entire thread, but I understood enough about the meaning to say, "shut up and stop being assholes. flaming isn't welcome here."
February 27, 2004, 2:28 PM
DrivE
[quote author=iago link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=15#msg46319 date=1077892117]
"shut up and stop being assholes. flaming isn't welcome here."
[/quote]

My point exactly.
February 27, 2004, 4:17 PM
iago
I was directly talking to you and j0k3r. I didn't see anybody else carrying on a pointless argument.
February 27, 2004, 5:30 PM
DrivE
[quote author=iago link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=30#msg46346 date=1077903055]
I was directly talking to you and j0k3r. I didn't see anybody else carrying on a pointless argument.
[/quote]

My attempt was to ask him in a mature manner to leave people alone, thats all. I'll leave it at that.
February 27, 2004, 5:50 PM
j0k3r
Hazard had no position stepping in the first place, he had nothing to do with the arguments, and he did not contribute to the thread.

Tron was saying things without proof, which were wrong and I felt that since I had knowledge about the subject I'd share it.

I shouldn't have put that last part into my post, and I apologize for it.
March 11, 2004, 12:32 PM
Soul Taker
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=15#msg46181 date=1077832554]
As you can see, the delivery of the item and time spent finding the item can be charged as a service, and there is nothing blizzard can do about it...
[/quote]
I'm going to say that Blizzard can do a lot of things about it, if they really had any reason to. For instance, they could say you're profiting from their Battle.net service.
March 11, 2004, 1:37 PM
j0k3r
They can't claim your time to be their own, if they are paying for the time you spent finding the item, or time you spent transferring the item, there isn't really anything they can do.

It's like a truck delivery service, where they own a desert and your deliver sand, unless they want to put extra protection to keep you from taking their sand and profiting from it, they have little choice but to sit back and do nothing.

Don't know how good of an analogy that was.

[afterthought]If they decided to sell items, there would be less players because people would stop playing, there are still some player who play because it's a challenge and you can't just buy your way through the game. Those who bought items will also stop playing faster because they would feel they have beaten the game.[/afterthought]
March 11, 2004, 2:23 PM
AC_Drkan
Yeah i saw some too.

though i joined a game and there were bots only.

chat messages filled the screen.

They also have like questions bots or something along that line.

I saw some b4 blizzard released the update.

Their actually pretty cool.

won like 15 set items from them.

March 11, 2004, 4:45 PM
Soul Taker
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=30#msg48904 date=1079015026]
They can't claim your time to be their own, if they are paying for the time you spent finding the item, or time you spent transferring the item, there isn't really anything they can do.

It's like a truck delivery service, where they own a desert and your deliver sand, unless they want to put extra protection to keep you from taking their sand and profiting from it, they have little choice but to sit back and do nothing.

Don't know how good of an analogy that was.

[afterthought]If they decided to sell items, there would be less players because people would stop playing, there are still some player who play because it's a challenge and you can't just buy your way through the game. Those who bought items will also stop playing faster because they would feel they have beaten the game.[/afterthought]
[/quote]
Time is irrelvant, you're profiting from the use of their service. The item is generated by it, exists on it, is transferred on it, and the time you spent finding it was on it.
March 11, 2004, 4:58 PM
K
Just as a side note, you are aware you can press "n" to clear the chat text from the screen? This really makes them a minor annoyance if any.
March 11, 2004, 7:38 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=Soul Taker link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=30#msg48926 date=1079024335]
Time is irrelvant, you're profiting from the use of their service. The item is generated by it, exists on it, is transferred on it, and the time you spent finding it was on it.
[/quote]
Just as you pay for the game, they are profiting from the time they spent coding the game. You would be profiting from the time you spent finding the items, and you HAVE paid them already, so you're not really stealing anything from them.

What about MMORPGs? There was a case (thread posted in this forum I believe) that a guy was compensated for items lost, because they were his and he paid for all the time he spent playing the game.

How far does the initial payment for the game go? I'm sure the cost is factored into the price somehow, who is to say you aren't paying for you owning the items/characters?
March 11, 2004, 11:27 PM
j0k3r
Ah, yesterday a spambot whispered me while I was in a private channel. Now it's getting out of hand.
March 11, 2004, 11:28 PM
Soul Taker
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=30#msg48975 date=1079047671]
[quote author=Soul Taker link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=30#msg48926 date=1079024335]
[/quote]
Just as you pay for the game, they are profiting from the time they spent coding the game. You would be profiting from the time you spent finding the items, and you HAVE paid them already, so you're not really stealing anything from them.

What about MMORPGs? There was a case (thread posted in this forum I believe) that a guy was compensated for items lost, because they were his and he paid for all the time he spent playing the game.

How far does the initial payment for the game go? I'm sure the cost is factored into the price somehow, who is to say you aren't paying for you owning the items/characters?
[/quote]
You pay for the game, not Battle.net-related things.
March 12, 2004, 7:03 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=Soul Taker link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=30#msg49072 date=1079118213]
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=3;threadid=5043;start=30#msg48975 date=1079047671]
[/quote]

[/quote]
You pay for the game, not Battle.net-related things.
[/quote]
Then why can't you anonymously log onto battle.net without a cd key?
March 12, 2004, 7:48 PM
Skywing
telnet useast.battle.net 6112
^Canonymous\r\n
March 12, 2004, 8:55 PM
j0k3r
Damn you Skywing... :-[

A portion of the sales price does go towards servers, there is no way they could afford to host servers for a game for free...

Anyways, it doesn't matter. They don't care about you profiting off them, they know about it, they just know it would be too much hassle to control.
March 12, 2004, 9:04 PM

Search