Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Windows Update Failing

AuthorMessageTime
iago
I'm on my dad's computer, and re-installed Windows XP for him. Now, whenever I apply a patch and restart the computer, the patch disappears. It says I still need it in windowsupdate.microsoft.com, and it doesn't show up in the Control Panel. If I install a patch, then check the Control Panel, it's there, but when I restart it's gone.

Anybody have any idea why this is happening?

(And yeah, he already downright refused to upgrade to Linux :()
February 1, 2004, 10:46 PM
Grok
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=5039;start=0#msg42204 date=1075675574]
(And yeah, he already downright refused to upgrade to Linux :()
[/quote]

Upgrade?

Oh boy.
February 1, 2004, 11:23 PM
Yoni
Linux is simply not a "my dad" operating system.

A thought: Control Panel is not a great indicator for what patches are installed. A much better way is psinfo -h. (www.sysinternals.com -> pstools)

You could also try to download the patches you need from the Windows Update Catalog. Instead of installing them via the ActiveX control, it downloads an exe which you can install separately.

Another thought: Try to reinstall WU. You do this by deleting iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll from system32, then revisiting windowsupdate.microsoft.com. You might also need to clear the WU cache, which is the hidden directory Program Files\WindowsUpdate.
February 1, 2004, 11:57 PM
iago
I ran a virus scan, and seem to have contracted an RPC worm. It infected windows update's .exe file, among other things. I deleted the affected files and re-downloaded the upgrades (starting with the RPC patch). I left it running and went home, though, so I'm not sure if it worked, but I'll find out tomorrow.

And yeah, I know Linux isn't that greatest for that type of user, but Mandrake 9.1 is super easy, and I've seen many Windows user's (including my friend's parents who know nothing about computers) become quickly comfortable with it.
February 2, 2004, 12:43 AM
St0rm.iD
When linux stops sucking in the desktop arena, people will use it.
February 2, 2004, 9:36 PM
MesiaH
Strongly agreed. I installed Mandrake 9.2, and ran it under KDE and GNOME and windowmaker, and whatever, i tried em all. First, i have to boot under fail-safe because it stops loading when trying to verify the dmi pool data, which works fine under windows, and my biggest problem, under kde and gnome, things crash, totally dissapear, and some not even load, for no reason! i have plenty of ram, plenty of hard drive space, and plenty enough video memory and all that other good jibber jabber, its just disgusting. the only thing that ran good was windowmaker, and sure its highly customizable, but windowmaker sure isnt a "my dad" type thing.
February 2, 2004, 10:37 PM
St0rm.iD
If linux was compatible with stuff, then it would be good; it isn't.
February 2, 2004, 11:07 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=2;threadid=5039;start=0#msg42351 date=1075763234]
If linux was compatible with stuff, then it would be good; it isn't.
[/quote]

Hear hear. I use a wireless network at home, and SuSE 8.2 simply isn't compatble with it. If I could at least have internet, I might use Linux; I like KDE and all, but damned if I could do the first thing with it at all.

[edit]And no, I'm not up for disassembling my network card driver, reverse-engineering it, and writing a compatible driver for Linux. I guess I'm just lazy that way.[/edit]
February 3, 2004, 12:13 AM
crashtestdummy
I saw a list of drivers for wireless cards the other day. I'm off to work right now but later when i get home ill try to find it again.
February 3, 2004, 12:16 AM

Search