Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Linux talk and help

AuthorMessageTime
jigsaw
I installed slack 9.1 - I am new to the linux environment, I am lost when it comes to setting up this damn box on my LAN and being able to obtain internet access on it. I cant find too many docs on it. Please list web references or ideas here, tanks!
January 28, 2004, 9:24 AM
jigsaw
Fixed it myself, a little netconfig always helps. Anyhow on to step two, linux ins-and-outs. I am a newbie I suppose when it comes to linux, any good references re appreciated. Perhaps a means of chatting on battle.net would be nice, and linux bots out there?
January 28, 2004, 10:21 AM
joykillah
first off if your just learning i don't advise you use slackware.

i put fedora core on my ftp for you
January 28, 2004, 2:55 PM
iago
[quote author=joykillah link=board=2;threadid=4968;start=0#msg41477 date=1075301740]
first off if your just learning i don't advise you use slackware.

i put fedora core on my ftp for you
[/quote]

I'm just learning and using Slackware, and I think it's great. If I ever use a different version of Linux, it will always be easier. This way, you learn to do things the right way, not the easy way :)
January 28, 2004, 3:03 PM
jigsaw
slack 9 is great. im sticking. whats a trillian like program for linux that i can dl
January 29, 2004, 4:22 AM
DVX
i thought gentoo was pretty hard and if u know gentoo u pretty much know linux :p
January 29, 2004, 6:09 AM
Orillion
I use gaim for AIM MSN and ICQ.
January 29, 2004, 10:04 AM
Thing
You may want to try Kopete for IM: http://kopete.kde.org/
As I stated in another post, DMBot runs well under Wine: http://dmbot.valhallalegends.com/
A good starting place for general help is: http://www.linuxhelp.net

I would also suggest that you don't marry the first distro you try. Try out as many as you can and compare features, etc.

[me=Thing] makes a prediction ...
Suse will emerge as the leader in Linux desktops.[/me]
The latest release is awesome. Now that they have been acquired by Novell, they have the money and expertise to make a mainstream distribution.

January 29, 2004, 1:50 PM
iago
[quote author=jigsaw link=board=2;threadid=4968;start=0#msg41617 date=1075350143]
slack 9 is great. im sticking. whats a trillian like program for linux that i can dl
[/quote]

gaim comes with a default install, but you should upgrade anyway. You can find it at gaim.sourceforge.net.
January 29, 2004, 2:57 PM
jigsaw
Thing, Give me your two cents about Gentoo. It appeals to me, not sure why being that I am not an expert in linux or its features. Gentoo just looked very sexy. Thanks for the links btw.
January 29, 2004, 5:42 PM
Yoni
In my experience Slack has been much more newbie friendly than Gentoo.
January 30, 2004, 12:04 AM
Orillion
I moved from slackware to Gentoo early last year after someone continued to bug me about it. Initially it was hard to understand but it didnt take me very long to grasp all the information needing to install it and work with it. Its documentation on its website has gotten considerably better since then and its addition of genkernel for creating kernels automatically has made that task much more newbie friendly. If you can get past not having a graphical environment during your install period then it really is not hard.
January 30, 2004, 1:44 AM
cipher
Gentoo is awesome...
Once it's up and going, there is nothing to stop you, and it's so easy to keep up-to-date because of emerge. Just 'emerge -u world' and sit back. It may not be a very newbie-friendly install, but the documentation on the website is excessive, and perhaps daunting to newbies at first, but it's that way for a reason. If you're willing to read it, then you'll get it installed. Having a second computer so you can get onto IRC (or you can use irssi which is a client that would be on the live-cd, and useful if Gentoo automagically configures your ethernet) and ask questions while you're installing. I'd also not mind giving help... I've even done a few completely remote installs with great success.
Gentoo is very close to being LFS (Linux From Scratch) without it hurting because Portage is beautiful and simple to use.
Basically the learning curve may be varyingly different (depends on hardware, and ability to read) for people, but once it's up, it's easier to maintain then most other distributions.
If you have any other questions, IM me, I'd be glad to answer them.
January 30, 2004, 2:08 AM
jigsaw
ya ya gentoo is nice.
January 30, 2004, 3:27 AM
mynameistmp
FreeBSD (>=1.0) offers a software management system that is relatively parallel to that of Gentoo's Portage:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html
January 30, 2004, 4:57 AM
Thing
My experience with Gentoo is null.
Lately I've been focusing on a replacement for all of the RedHat workstations that I've installed. Since RedHat has seen the need to abandon support, then I'll spend the money elsewhere. Fuckers!
So far Suse is my "average user" OS of choice.
FreeBSD kicks server ass. NS1 finally died last month because a connector that splices the power coming into the building failed. The generator wouldn't start and the batteries died. It was a sad sad day.
January 31, 2004, 12:01 AM
cipher
(in response to mynameistmp)
seeing as how BSDs ports inspred portage ;)
January 31, 2004, 2:58 AM

Search