Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Connect Remotely to local computer

AuthorMessageTime
MesiaH
I've asked this before i think, but I never got a real response.

My situation:

I have a computer set up on a small home network, using windows 2000 server edition, on a cross-over connection (no routers involved)

It is connected, and my servers are running, but how would a remote computer not on my network, be able to connect to the computer i am running the server on?

How would i obtain the ip address and such? I know there are different ways of doing this than to do routing crap, any ideas?
January 24, 2004, 7:28 PM
SNiFFeR
tell your friend to goto http://yourip:81 (if that's your web server port)
January 24, 2004, 8:25 PM
iago
So what I understand is that you want people outside to be able to connect to the computer on the other side of a gateway computer?

As far as I know, there's no way. You can look into the software called WinProxy, I've never used it, though. If your gateway is using linux, I hear it's as easy as editing a config file.

I'd recommend getting a router, though.. they aren't that expensive, and they provide extra security, and connection forwarding, etc.
January 25, 2004, 12:26 AM
Skywing
He could just use Routing and Remote Access to do that, since he already has Windows 2000 Server...
January 25, 2004, 12:42 AM
MesiaH
I was looking around today in the remote access and such, but i still dont know what the domain would be for the public to reach that computer...
January 25, 2004, 12:52 AM
Hostile
Well, you probably don't have a domain. You get the services for dynamic IPs from most domain registration companies, or possibly like DNS2Go or a similar service. Until then you just have to use your ip address. If you can't figure how to get your IP Address then well... =\. Do I even need to say search google or look any of a hundred places on your computer. -.-
January 25, 2004, 5:28 AM
MesiaH
Hostile, here is the situation. I am on the main computer right now, running windows xp pro, this is the computer that receives the internet from the modem. Now, using a crossover cable, i have the internet going from this computer, to my windows 2000 computer. Therefore, the windows 2000 server appears to have the ip address: 192.168.0.75, but as u know, that is just a local address, so on my main computer, if i do http://192.168.0.75:78, it opens the website up fine, because it is on my network. But, how would i access the computer outside of my network?
January 25, 2004, 6:01 PM
Kp
[quote author=MesiaH link=board=2;threadid=4881;start=0#msg41078 date=1075053704]
Hostile, here is the situation. I am on the main computer right now, running windows xp pro, this is the computer that receives the internet from the modem. Now, using a crossover cable, i have the internet going from this computer, to my windows 2000 computer. Therefore, the windows 2000 server appears to have the ip address: 192.168.0.75, but as u know, that is just a local address, so on my main computer, if i do http://192.168.0.75:78, it opens the website up fine, because it is on my network. But, how would i access the computer outside of my network?[/quote]

Connect to a chosen port on the public address of your gateway system; the gateway system must be configured to forward that port on to the internal system. Configuring port forwarding is a very proxy-specific process, and I have no experience with using Win* for ICS.
January 25, 2004, 6:13 PM

Search