Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | System Idle Process 99% CPU Usage

AuthorMessageTime
j0k3r
Since I connected my computer to the internet (just got new ISP) system idle proccess starts taking up 95-99% CPU usage and locks up the menu bar (only noticable side effect to me). It stops after a couple minutes, and most things return to normal but it's annoying and odd. I updated virus definitions and scanned, and found nothing.

Any ideas?
January 17, 2004, 9:34 PM
Skywing
The idle process is what accounts for processor time when nothing else is ready to run (i.e. the system is idle).
January 17, 2004, 10:02 PM
j0k3r
Well then back to ground 0... I can't figure it out and it's getting more consistent and annoying. Is there anything wrong in this picture?
[img]http://www.templatecentral.net/joker/sysidle.JPG[/img]
January 17, 2004, 10:22 PM
Stealth
Yeah. You're using Internet Explorer! EWW!

No, the System Idle Process is a measure of free CPU resources. If your computer is excessively slow (which it would be if a program were grabbing 99% CPU) then you need to look elsewhere.
January 17, 2004, 10:41 PM
j0k3r
Yes, I understood what Skywing said perfectly fine but thank you for repeating. I am asking if you recognize any of those being malicious off the top of your head?

Note: After not being on D2 and having the computer on for awhile, it hasn't happened, could be a problem with D2?
January 17, 2004, 11:26 PM
Trance
It was probably a lack of memory since you had your system on for awhile, not to mention ran D2.. god is that thing just a performance killer. So yeah, how much RAM do you have?
January 18, 2004, 8:56 AM
j0k3r
Might as well post the rest of the stats.
p4 2.4ghz
512 DDR ram
Radeon 9700
CDRW/DVD Combo Drive
Maxtor 80gb
350watt Power Supply

Got more specifics, the problem seemed to occur when I minimized D2 alot, and was talking to people on MSN at the same time, and I just had MSN/Windows updated when it started occuring (wasn't on for 3 weeks, so it had to update).
January 18, 2004, 12:15 PM
CrAz3D
Does it happen when your computer first connects to the internet?
January 18, 2004, 3:12 PM
Stealth
I'm thinking perhaps some hardware the ISP installed might be in conflict? Are any programs using any more than normal CPU resources while it's locked up?
January 18, 2004, 4:42 PM
j0k3r
Actually, I'm using a cable modem, and nothing was configured. My old ISP (this problem didn't happen back then mind you) needed software to connect, however as soon as I plugged the cat45 cable into the back of my computer everything just worked. It is the newest modem the ISP has, so it's very unlikely there is something wrong with it.

I haven't had the problem since yesterday, and I didn't bother checking the resources because it locked up, just watched tv for 5 minutes then came back and it was normal again.
January 18, 2004, 6:10 PM
Hostile
Well, If you're suspecting that it is being spoofed due to some sort of trojan, although possible most likely if it was the case it would hide the malicious process as well. Before you jump to something like that I would recommend watching it while you open up a few new processes. If your idle process stays at 99% then you definitly have something interfereing. Even a much higher end system, in addition to dual processors would show atleast some decline.
January 19, 2004, 7:10 AM
Grok
[BUMP]  Sorry this is one of my favorite posts ever, just had to bring it back.

j0k3r, got that idle cpu under control yet?  :)
November 5, 2004, 2:28 PM
Thing
[quote author=Grok link=topic=4768.msg87499#msg87499 date=1099664929]
[BUMP]  Sorry this is one of my favorite posts ever, just had to bring it back.

j0k3r, got that idle cpu under control yet?  :)
[/quote]

You're silly.
November 5, 2004, 2:34 PM
j0k3r
Very funny  :-[

The start bar stopped locking up after I reformatted, oops@not posting.
November 5, 2004, 9:54 PM

Search