Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Help

AuthorMessageTime
treyreese
The biggest problem i have in programing is that i cant ever think of anything at my skill level to program, not to advanced not to easy... any ideas?
January 17, 2004, 6:52 PM
Spht
If you're given something easy to do, then that's at your skill level. If you're given something too hard and you don't know how to do it, then that's above your skill level. Difficult projects are usually made up of several small and easy projects. Utilize your current knowledge to complete harder projects. This way, you will get stuck maybe several times which will allow you to research and learn the things you didn't know and thereby increasing your skill level.
January 17, 2004, 7:13 PM
Zeller
make a battle.net bot. with bnls and sphts documents that shouldnt be beyond any programmers "skill level". Once that is complete add features (that you may not know how to add) such as profiles, security, user-database, trivia, ect... That was my first project after I read my first book and it taught me alot
January 19, 2004, 12:16 AM
iago
[quote author=Zeller link=board=5;threadid=4759;start=0#msg40086 date=1074471383]
make a battle.net bot. with bnls and sphts documents that shouldnt be beyond any programmers "skill level". Once that is complete add features (that you may not know how to add) such as profiles, security, user-database, trivia, ect... That was my first project after I read my first book and it taught me alot
[/quote]
That's a terrible suggestion. People shouldn't be programming bots unless they are already fairly good programmers, otherwise they'll get stuck and ask stupid questions here and it bugs me.

What I would recommend is trying to make clones of existing programs which aren't too difficult, just for practice. I made a perfect(-ish) minesweeper clone once, which wasn't terribly difficult but was fairly interesting nonetheless. Perhaps a card game, or arcade-type game (Pac-man provides interesting challenges, since you start getting into ai; I did a pac-man clone for my final project in grade 11 cs vb, I still have the .exe but I lost the source). Space Invaders is a fairly simple one. Perhaps a sort of mini-golf game?

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.
January 19, 2004, 2:10 PM
MoNksBaNe_Agahnim
what are you familiar with maybe i can help you with some projects
January 19, 2004, 3:13 PM
Spht
[quote author=Zeller link=board=5;threadid=4759;start=0#msg40086 date=1074471383]
[/quote]

In addition to what iago said, you're also assuming he knows what Battle.net is. If someone has no interest in a server, I wouldn't suggest that they write a client for it.
January 19, 2004, 6:17 PM
Zeller
First off I think making a battle.net bot is still easier then programming a minigolf game and maybe minesweeper. Like I said, sphts documents explain alot about packets and variable types that he would need to know. Also spht is right, make sumthing that your intrested in. If bots dont float your boat, just ignore everything I said.
January 19, 2004, 6:53 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=Zeller link=board=5;threadid=4759;start=0#msg40159 date=1074538382]
First off I think making a battle.net bot is still easier then programming a minigolf game and maybe minesweeper. Like I said, sphts documents explain alot about packets and variable types that he would need to know. Also spht is right, make sumthing that your intrested in. If bots dont float your boat, just ignore everything I said.
[/quote]

To create a useful bot requires, at the very least, a decent knowledge of collections, string parsing, sockets, file i/o, GUI programming (depending on bot), language syntax (obviously), etc... To program a simple game might only require you to learn the language syntax and some graphics, depending on how advanced a game you are trying to make.

You have to learn, and understand way more concepts to program a bot, so I fail to see how it is easier... Simple games are how I always learned how to program. From there, I learned other programming concepts, and now am working on a bot.
January 19, 2004, 7:12 PM
R.a.B.B.i.T
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=5;threadid=4759;start=0#msg40161 date=1074539568]
[quote author=Zeller link=board=5;threadid=4759;start=0#msg40159 date=1074538382]
[/quote]

To create a useful bot requires, at the very least, a decent knowledge of collections, string parsing, sockets, file i/o, GUI programming (depending on bot), language syntax (obviously), etc... To program a simple game might only require you to learn the language syntax and some graphics, depending on how advanced a game you are trying to make.

You have to learn, and understand way more concepts to program a bot, so I fail to see how it is easier... Simple games are how I always learned how to program. From there, I learned other programming concepts, and now am working on a bot.

[/quote]

Knowing about some of that is *optional* at best if using CSB.
January 20, 2004, 2:30 AM
iago
[/quote]

I programmed a minesweeper clone years ago, long before I could have programmed a bot. And minigolf is actually really easy, pick an angle, pick a strength, a little animation involving a little geometry, and that's it.
January 20, 2004, 2:33 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=R.a.B.B.i.T link=board=5;threadid=4759;start=0#msg40270 date=1074565842]
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=5;threadid=4759;start=0#msg40161 date=1074539568]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Knowing about some of that is *optional* at best if using CSB.
[/quote]

I forgot about that... Well I guess making a bot is now easier that learning the syntax of a language. ;D

Well Cuphead could certainly control a large chunk of the masses if he would implement some way to say who can/can't use CSB.
January 20, 2004, 3:05 AM
Liquid
Um.. still.. using CSB isn't making a bot.. all you're doing is slapping a GUI on it and calling it that.. anybody can do that..
January 20, 2004, 5:32 PM
Kp
[quote author=Liquid[BH] link=board=5;threadid=4759;start=0#msg40352 date=1074619973]
anybody can do that..[/quote]

Actually, I've seen people who can't even do that. :D
January 20, 2004, 5:44 PM
Zeller
[quote]
[/quote]

Assuming that he is writing a bot in vb, the only thing on that list that shouldnt be basic programing knollage is sockets. But I already explained about the documents available.

Although I never programmed a game, learning sockets seems easier then learning how to use gdi+

edit: fixed quote tags
January 20, 2004, 11:05 PM
Stealth
[quote author=Zeller link=board=5;threadid=4759;start=0#msg40387 date=1074639913]
[quote]
[/quote]

Assuming that he is writing a bot in vb, the only thing on that list that shouldnt be basic programing knollage is sockets. But I already explained about the documents available.

Although I never programmed a game, learning sockets seems easier then learning how to use gdi+
[/quote]

I disagree. In order to try to write a bot, you only need to know basic sockets. To actually succeed, you need to know everything on Tuberload's list except for Collections. (StealthBot operates entirely using dynamic arrays. I didn't know what Collections were or how to use them until very recently.)

[Edit: Fixed quote tags]
January 21, 2004, 2:16 AM
Zeller
[quote author=Stealth link=board=5;threadid=4759;start=0#msg40431 date=1074651415]
[quote author=Zeller link=board=5;threadid=4759;start=0#msg40387 date=1074639913]
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I disagree. In order to try to write a bot, you only need to know basic sockets. To actually succeed, you need to know everything on Tuberload's list except for Collections. (StealthBot operates entirely using dynamic arrays. I didn't know what Collections were or how to use them until very recently.)

[/quote]

I think knowing how to parse is a must when trying to write a bot. Your right that collections arent realy needed for making a bot, but they could come in handy for features like an anti-flood queue, wisper windows or cloning. Anyway, every one (those who have more experiance programming then me) seems to be aggainst making a bot so just go with a game or somthing. good night
January 21, 2004, 4:54 AM
Tuberload
All collections really are is arrays with added functionality... I prefer to use collections over arrays when it comes to things like channel lists, queues, etc... I use arrays when the extra functions aren't needed.

How many of you VB bot makers out their use listboxes to store all kinds of data and read/write directly to it? That is a collection with a gui attached to it.

If you know how to use an array, you should be able to use a collection without to many problems. They are just different tools to use, and it is up to you to choose what suits your project best.
January 21, 2004, 6:36 AM
MoNksBaNe_Agahnim
heh odd that original author of this post has yet to reply...maybe if he gave us some more background as to what he knows we could lead him in a better direction lol
January 21, 2004, 3:52 PM
Liquid
[quote]Actually, I've seen people who can't even do that.[/quote]

That is true.. i've seen people fail at that..
January 21, 2004, 8:25 PM
Stealth
[quote author=Zeller link=board=5;threadid=4759;start=15#msg40453 date=1074660851]
[quote author=Stealth link=board=5;threadid=4759;start=0#msg40431 date=1074651415]
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think knowing how to parse is a must when trying to write a bot. Your right that collections arent realy needed for making a bot, but they could come in handy for features like an anti-flood queue, wisper windows or cloning. Anyway, every one (those who have more experiance programming then me) seems to be aggainst making a bot so just go with a game or somthing. good night
[/quote]

That's string manipulation. =)

[quote]How many of you VB bot makers out their use listboxes to store all kinds of data and read/write directly to it? That is a collection with a gui attached to it.[/quote]

It's baaad to use GUI controls for things that have nothing to do with the GUI.
January 21, 2004, 10:14 PM
iago
[quote author=Stealth link=board=5;threadid=4759;start=15#msg40543 date=1074723288]
[quote]How many of you VB bot makers out their use listboxes to store all kinds of data and read/write directly to it? That is a collection with a gui attached to it.[/quote]

[/quote]

I was going to say that, but then I realized he didn't actually say that they were invisible ones.
January 21, 2004, 11:10 PM
Kp
[quote author=iago link=board=5;threadid=4759;start=15#msg40547 date=1074726654]I was going to say that, but then I realized he didn't actually say that they were invisible ones.[/quote]

It's still bad practice even if they're invisible. Creating a GUI control means incurring the overhead of its existence, even if you only use it as a glorified linked list.
January 21, 2004, 11:16 PM
Skywing
[quote author=iago link=board=5;threadid=4759;start=15#msg40547 date=1074726654]
[quote author=Stealth link=board=5;threadid=4759;start=15#msg40543 date=1074723288]

[/quote]

I was going to say that, but then I realized he didn't actually say that they were invisible ones.
[/quote]
While I suppose that's slightly less bad, it's still a good idea to avoid storing that kind of thing in the GUI itself IMO. If nothing else, it'll probably be slower to access the information contained via the GUI's access methods than directly if you store it yourself.
January 21, 2004, 11:18 PM
iago
I meant he didn't say he was using GUI controls for non GUI stuff, he just said using GUI controls. He probably meant using GUI stuff for GUI stuff.
January 21, 2004, 11:19 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=iago link=board=5;threadid=4759;start=15#msg40551 date=1074727182]
I meant he didn't say he was using GUI controls for non GUI stuff, he just said using GUI controls. He probably meant using GUI stuff for GUI stuff.
[/quote]
I never use GUI controls to store data... Neither do I program in VB. I was just pointing out what collections are.
January 22, 2004, 1:10 AM

Search