Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | GRUB

AuthorMessageTime
hismajesty
Last night, I installed Fedora Linux on my normal Windows XP machine. After it was all said and done and I needed to reboot. Upon rebooted I was taken to GRUB as I had expected. However, I'm not sure which command to enter in order to start either Windows/Linux; thus, I'm computerless :P. I'm on my school computer now and was wondering what I would need to insert. I know I need to do kernel, then boot..but not sure how to format the kernel command. Again, I'm running Windows XP and Fedora Core.

January 12, 2004, 12:12 PM
Thing
[code]GRUB(8) FSF GRUB(8)

NAME
grub - the grub shell

SYNOPSIS
grub [OPTION]...

DESCRIPTION
Enter the GRand Unified Bootloader command shell.

--batch
turn on batch mode for non-interactive use

--boot-drive=DRIVE
specify stage2 boot_drive [default=0x0]

--config-file=FILE
specify stage2 config_file
[default=/boot/grub/menu.lst]

--device-map=FILE
use the device map file FILE

--help display this message and exit

--hold wait until a debugger will attach

--install-partition=PAR
specify stage2 install_partition [default=0x20000]

--no-config-file
do not use the config file

--no-curses
do not use curses

--no-floppy
do not probe any floppy drive

--no-pager
do not use internal pager

--preset-menu
use the preset menu

--probe-second-floppy
probe the second floppy drive

--read-only
do not write anything to devices

--verbose
print verbose messages

--version
print version information and exit

REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>.

SEE ALSO
The full documentation for grub is maintained as a Texinfo
manual. If the info and grub programs are properly
installed at your site, the command

info grub

should give you access to the complete manual.

grub (GNU GRUB 0.93) December 2002 GRUB(8)[/code]
January 12, 2004, 1:53 PM
hismajesty
well according to GRUB> help then
[code]GRUB> kernel --no-mem-option --type=Linux[/code]

would that be right? because it's saying I need to specify a file but according to help I think that's it. hmm, I dunno what would I would put for the file path for either windows/linux either.

Edit: I'm in auto-cad now, I'll check this post again during lunch. If I don't have a fix for it by the time I leave I guess I'll just either 1) reinstall linux tonight so and pay more attention to the grub section or 2) check again in the morning.

thanks
January 12, 2004, 2:34 PM
iago
If it wants a drive, try /dev/hda0,/dev/hda1, ... /dev/hda9, see if any of those work :)
January 12, 2004, 2:40 PM
hismajesty
OK, also I was wondering why I see GRUB as command lineish, but a lot of pictures from google had a GUI. ::) I know, I'm a spoiled Windows kid who thinks everything needs a GUI. :P Thanks, iago..I'll write that down.
January 12, 2004, 2:44 PM
wut
grub actually names hard drives as (hdDisk,Partition) counting from 0. e.g. /dev/hda1 would translate to (hd0,0) or /dev/hdb1 (hd1,0)
January 12, 2004, 3:19 PM
hismajesty
ugh, I hate to ask you to hold my hand through this, but what exactly should I type after grub> ?
January 12, 2004, 4:30 PM
Hitmen
My grub used a GUI until I nuked linux at which time it decided to act like yours :P
January 12, 2004, 4:43 PM
hismajesty
You used Mandrake Linux though, maybe it's different between the two.
January 12, 2004, 4:47 PM
Adron
Having no GUI might mean that it's not finding its files...
January 12, 2004, 6:57 PM
hismajesty
Well, I still can't boot linux but I was able to boot Windows using a help thing I found at school yesterday. (Naturally I left my notebook at school so I spent 3 hours slamming my keyboard because I was so frustrated yesterday.) Anyway, here is what I had to do...

[code]grub> unhide (hd0,0)
grub> hide (hd0,1)
grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
grub> chainloader +1
grub> makeactive
grub> boot
[/code]

I also saw via:
[code]grub> help terminal[/code]
that there IS a graphical mode but when I did
[code]grub> terminal graphics[/code]
it said 'Device is not initialized yet' And unlike the serial terminal there is no command (that I could see) to initialize graphical mode.
January 13, 2004, 7:59 PM
cipher
I would suggest that you tell us more about how you have your partitions setup so we can better help you figure out what GRUB commands you will need in order to boot your Linux kernel. From the looks, and from what you described, your first Partition holds a Windows OS, but I'd like to know more about the other Partitions so I can give a more specific answer. If you'd like me to help you on AIM you can get a hold of me @ ciph3rd.
-cipher
January 14, 2004, 12:42 AM
hismajesty
Well, it's all on one harddrive.
[code][ Windows (about 83 gigs) ] [ Linux 30 some gigs ] [ Linux Swap (500 MB) ][/code]
January 14, 2004, 1:08 AM
cipher
sounds like you'll want to do something like:
grub> root (hd0,1)
grub> setup (hd0)
and then you'd either want to do a:
grub> makeactive (not sure on this)
grub> boot
see if that works.

January 14, 2004, 1:21 AM
hismajesty
[quote author=cipher link=board=2;threadid=4694;start=0#msg39524 date=1074043316]
sounds like you'll want to do something like:
grub> root (hd0,1)
grub> setup (hd0)
and then you'd either want to do a:
grub> makeactive (not sure on this)
grub> boot
see if that works.

[/quote]

I'll try next time I restart, but I'd like to find out how to make it graphical. (Since somehow (I'm thinking my mom) broke the other computer beyond bootablity (maybe just a fuse :P) my mom/sister or somebody may want to get on and in case for some odd reason the computer isn't on, I don't think they'd understand the commands and stuff) :)
January 14, 2004, 1:24 AM
cipher
once you're up and going, it'll be easier for you to customize the grub stuff, it's harder to do outside of linux considering you can't just mount a local ext3/reiserfs/whatever it is you have onto your current Windows OS. So that too can be fixed once you're up and going, and I'd be glad to help with that, aswell.
January 14, 2004, 1:33 AM
hismajesty
well there is a command [code]grub> terminal graphics[/code] but when I do that it says that graphics mode isn't initialized.
January 14, 2004, 1:47 AM

Search