Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | BnetD

AuthorMessageTime
WiLD
Im sorry if i have posted this in the incorrect forum but id refer to this as programming.

I was wondering if there has ever been a bnetd server application written in VB, if not is it possible? I would like to have alook at an example if there is one because i want to start a simple chat server for starcraft. If you have any information in regrads to this could you please post, id be very greatful.
January 11, 2004, 4:23 AM
UserLoser.
It's possible - i've done it for everything but CHAT, JSTR, WAR3/W3XP
January 11, 2004, 4:25 AM
WiLD
Would you care to explain a little how it is done. I never done any server codes besides telnet and chat. I would really like to learn but dont know how to start off.
January 11, 2004, 4:44 AM
MesiaH
I posted the source to my simple binary server class using an ocx my friend made, you could use that as a start on how binary servers work, to get you started and whatever... But since I reformatted, I lost that source.. maybe somebody else has it? lol
January 11, 2004, 9:13 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=WiLD link=board=5;threadid=4680;start=0#msg39227 date=1073796251]
Would you care to explain a little how it is done. I never done any server codes besides telnet and chat. I would really like to learn but dont know how to start off.
[/quote]
I am assuming you know how to make a basic server based off of your reply. To create a Battle.net Daemon is not really too complicated. You need to come up with a way to monitor the channels available, and the people connected. You could for example create User object that stores a reference to the socket, the channel the user is in, and other needed information. Now when that user talks you determine what channel he is in and only send it to other users in the same channel. This of course only handles basic chat events, but everything else would be done in a similar fashion. I like to use collections for this sort of thing, but some prefer arrays. When people are connecting to the server just simulate battle.net using triggers or something. There is not one way to do it; you just need to know how to use the tools the project requires.
February 10, 2004, 8:56 AM
MesiaH
Hey, if your going to do this, and have a very stable connection, id like to help. I could make a battle.net type server any day, but i personally have no use for it, but i always wanted to make a server that communicates with another specified battle.net server, so you could control everything you wanted, while still making it seem like your on the real battle.net server, being able to chat with your same friends and such, now that would be fun :)

Edit:

Example: Bnet Server->VB Server->Client, Client->VB Server->Bnet Server
February 13, 2004, 7:05 AM

Search