Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Thing-O-Rama ™ | How to pay for college?

AuthorMessageTime
Thing
Here is an interesting article on how to acquire some extra funds to help pay for your college education.
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/departments/college/?article=StrangeScholarships
January 10, 2004, 11:10 PM
warz
[quote]7. So maybe Klingon doesn't count as a foreign language, but if you plan to study it at college (the Klingon language, that is), you can enter the Kor Memorial Scholarship given by the Klingon Language Institute. Familiarity with Klingon not required. Go to http://www.kli.org/scholarship/ for details. [/quote]

haha?
January 10, 2004, 11:18 PM
Hitmen
Pfft, you can get scholorships for crap like that, and I'm going to have to work my ass off to pay for even a crappy college.
January 11, 2004, 12:20 AM
iago
Yeah, I work nearly full time during school to pay for mine.

Well, not anymore, I'm not planning on working at all next term :D
January 11, 2004, 1:08 AM
Denial
you can get them for mostly anything. Being left handed your father or grandfather fighting in the war being male you name it they got it
January 11, 2004, 1:18 AM
iago
[quote author=Denial link=board=35;threadid=4679;start=0#msg39208 date=1073783922]
you can get them for mostly anything. Being left handed your father or grandfather fighting in the war being male you name it they got it
[/quote]

Note quite, there's exactly one type of person that doesn't get one for anything: a white average male with no physical disabilities.
January 11, 2004, 3:43 AM
kamakazie
[quote author=iago link=board=35;threadid=4679;start=0#msg39215 date=1073792606]
[quote author=Denial link=board=35;threadid=4679;start=0#msg39208 date=1073783922]
[/quote]

Note quite, there's exactly one type of person that doesn't get one for anything: a white average male with no physical disabilities.
[/quote]

Keyword being average.
January 11, 2004, 5:20 PM
Denial
[quote author=iago link=board=35;threadid=4679;start=0#msg39215 date=1073792606]

[/quote]

Not true in america atleast. He can join the army right out of highschool usually the army people will show up at graduation with a big check for joining the army and such like 250k or 100k and all you need to be is average male or female to get this
January 11, 2004, 10:44 PM
iago
[quote author=Denial link=board=35;threadid=4679;start=0#msg39312 date=1073861085]

[/quote]

Not true in america atleast. He can join the army right out of highschool usually the army people will show up at graduation with a big check for joining the army and such like 250k or 100k and all you need to be is average male or female to get this
[/quote]

an average male or female who is willing to join the army, you mean?
January 12, 2004, 12:17 AM
Mitosis
I got about 3500 dollars saved up for my college at the moment. I plan on going here http://www.durhamc.on.ca/ for Graphics/Anitmation and Programming. Cant wait for these damn years of grade school to end though. Its going to be quite alot of money for it all, the Animation course is 8000 and the Programming is 4000. All that plus tuition. (spelling). Ohwell, money isnt really an issue.
January 12, 2004, 12:58 AM
Hostile
Actually you don't even have to join the Reserves or anything just enroll in the ROTC program while going to college and can easily get 1/4 - all of your college payed off for. :p
January 21, 2004, 2:34 AM
Crypticflare
Keyword Army , My bestfriend enlisted right after his HS graduation, they gave him a 32k dollar check for college, then quite a bit of money for his sign up bonus and such, as to my other buddy that recently just got back from the marine corps, is almost flat ass broke :p
January 21, 2004, 3:03 AM
Naem
Too bad you don't live in California, iago. We have a program called "Cal Grants" and you can earn up to $10k from that. And there's a scholarship near me that basically gives $4k to anyone within a 25-mile radius of the courthouse (the "Rosenhouse" fund). There are lots of obscure scholarships out there, you just have to keep an eye out.
January 22, 2004, 12:19 AM
kamakazie
[quote author=Naem link=board=35;threadid=4679;start=0#msg40559 date=1074730769]
Too bad you don't live in California, iago. We have a program called "Cal Grants" and you can earn up to $10k from that. And there's a scholarship near me that basically gives $4k to anyone within a 25-mile radius of the courthouse (the "Rosenhouse" fund). There are lots of obscure scholarships out there, you just have to keep an eye out.
[/quote]

You have to go to a school in California to get a Cal Grant :(
January 22, 2004, 8:49 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=Crypticflare link=board=35;threadid=4679;start=0#msg40441 date=1074654235]
Keyword Army , My bestfriend enlisted right after his HS graduation, they gave him a 32k dollar check for college, then quite a bit of money for his sign up bonus and such, as to my other buddy that recently just got back from the marine corps, is almost flat ass broke :p
[/quote]

Every branch of the military gets the same benefits. You know why? Because they are all controlled by the same government. That is not to say that all the branches will not try and screw you out of college money though... My cousin joined the Army and did not get his college funds because he forgot to sign some papers. It has nothing to do with what branch you join, but has everything to do with how well you cover your ass.

Personally I think you should go through college before you join the military. That way you are guaranteed to get it done before you are thirty, and you can just have the military pay off your student loans. Plus you can go in as an officer.
January 22, 2004, 8:58 PM

Search