Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Whats you thought on this?

AuthorMessageTime
Mitosis
Subject is euthanasia. Tell us if you are against or for euthanasia. State points of why or why not. Give major points of your attacker and then defend against them.

Here is what I think of euthanasia. [By the way, this is the essay I had to write]

Conquering Death

Euthanasia, a person with AIDS asks you to kill them because they are suffering tremendously. Pretty much committing suicide just in a different fashion. Now don’t the 10 Commandments say, “You shall not kill”? Well let’s take a deeper look into euthanasia. As you read on you will understand why euthanasia is wrong. You will learn why people are using this “mercy kill” method to their advantage. Also you will learn why I am against euthanasia.

Suicide, it’s not the way out. People may think that euthanasia isn’t suicide, but if you look at the perspectives of it, it truly is. Would you like to have the guilt of killing somebody even with his or her own permission?

Everyone remembers that farmer that killed his daughter that had MS. Let me tell you the story. This story is a form of euthanasia. His daughter did not ask to be killed now did she? We all know she couldn’t react with people though. But wait, her father though, “Hmm I cannot stand to see my daughter suffer anymore! I cannot! I will put her out of her misery. It is the best thing for her.”

Well now, how do we not know that she was enjoying life just the way it was, even if she was sick? She could have loved just waking up in the morning and smelling the fresh air and being around her family. Just because she was seriously ill does not mean she had no rights! But we will never know.

For killing his child the farmer was put into jail. Guilty as charged. Many people that have heard this story think it is completely wrong that he was put into jail for killing his daughter. Well let’s see. He killed his child, but people only think he shouldn’t be in jail because he was doing it to “put her out of her misery”. I will say this again and again; did she ask to be killed? No she did not ask to be killed, and would it be possible that she wanted to live her life to its fullest? See new things, live as long as she could? Yes that is possible, but people don’t think that.

A terminally ill cancer patient asks his or her doctor to be over dosed on morphine and killed. Ask yourself this. What would you do in this situation, let the person kill him or herself? Or instead refuse and try your best to help them to live longer. What do you think of this? Well where should I start? Personally I see this as murder, just in a “kind” way. You are STILL taking the persons life even if they approve of you doing so. The final impact on ones family is devastating. The family might start to think that there ill family member might not have loved his or her family, or hated his life. The thoughts people can have can change drastically. Now would you call that right? Leave your family heartbroken? This ONE of the reasons why euthanasia is terribly wrong!.

Now travel with me to the mind of the cancer patient. The patient cannot stand the trauma that he or she is going through and asks to be drugged to death. The patient thinks that this is the best way instead of being constantly hurt from his or her disease. Nonetheless this is suicide. But does this patient think of what this is going to do to the people around him and the ones who love him/her the most? No, he/she thinks that they would have wanted him/her to end his/her life this way.

“Death solves all problems…no man, no problem” - Joseph Stalin. That is a pretty bold quote that can be used against euthanasia. So this is what you do, you get rid of the terminally ill patient as requested and your problem is solved. No more pain and suffering for you just the people that loved you. That’s like saying “we don’t really care if you live or die” just as long as your satisfied.

When someone asks you to kill them it is pretty much taking the easy way out. That might sound rude and horrible because they are very sick. But I believe that they are taking the easy way out. They are cheating themselves. Killing themselves, suicide. You are certain to go to hell.

People think that euthanasia is a excellent way to help people because they are getting rid of their pain and suffering. They also might state that, instead of make them live longer but being under tremendous amounts of pain, we can help them by committing euthanasia. But they ARE wrong. People don’t bother to think what they are really doing. A lot of people just like to do things that will make them feel better instead of thinking of everyone else. Euthanasia is selfish because you are only helping yourself but really you aren’t. People these days are mostly out for themselves, that’s why you should think of everyone that cares for you and not just yourself.
January 9, 2004, 11:32 AM
j0k3r
If they can clearly think for themself, then I don't see why not let them kill themself/kill them, they've made a choice based on(probably) a lot of thinking about why they want to die. Someone with cancer or aids would have plenty of reason for wanting to die, and wouldn't it be better to kill the person with aids and not have it spread?

Forced euthenasia (someone making the decision for the person) I'd have to disagree with. However like I said if the person in clear consciousness has made the decision, it's their choice and not yours.

Is it murder if you do it yourself or assist them? Yes.

[note]Wow I'm bad at making short essays[/note]
January 9, 2004, 1:02 PM
Mitosis
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=0#msg38978 date=1073653375]
If they can clearly think for themself, then I don't see why not let them kill themself/kill them, they've made a choice based on(probably) a lot of thinking about why they want to die. Someone with cancer or aids would have plenty of reason for wanting to die, and wouldn't it be better to kill the person with aids and not have it spread?
[/quote]

Yes I know it is bad for it to spread but even if they do deside that euthanasia is the only way, they are betraying themselves and God. You are committing suicide and killing yourself. Suicide is the direct way to Hell as it is ritten in the Bible. Plus like I said before, all the hurt and pain leftover for the family to bare? Thats just wrong.
January 9, 2004, 1:18 PM
Grok
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=0#msg38980 date=1073654318]
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=0#msg38978 date=1073653375]
[/quote]

Yes I know it is bad for it to spread but even if they do deside that euthanasia is the only way, they are betraying themselves and God. You are committing suicide and killing yourself. Suicide is the direct way to Hell as it is ritten in the Bible. Plus like I said before, all the hurt and pain leftover for the family to bare? Thats just wrong.
[/quote]

CounterPoint 1: The state cannot mandate a particular way of religious thinking.

CounterPoint 2: I guess people shouldn't be allowed to die, or the family will have hurt and pain to bear. Dying accidentally or naturally should be illegal.

January 9, 2004, 3:03 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=0#msg38981 date=1073660589]
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=0#msg38980 date=1073654318]
[/quote]

[/quote]
CounterPoint 1: The state cannot mandate a particular way of religious thinking.
CounterPoint 2: I guess people shouldn't be allowed to die, or the family will have hurt and pain to bear. Dying accidentally or naturally should be illegal.
[/quote]
But the laws apply no matter what the state is.

People will die eventually anyways, is the family happier if the person is suffering or out of misery? They're 'want' for the person to be alive can't possibly outweigh his/her suffering.

Suicide is NOT a straight way to hell, unless you're a catholic and that is what you believe. You will end up sinning more if you lived than if you died anyways, what concern have you of sin anyways? I have yet to see anyone not swear, not lust after anyone, not lie, cheat or steal because of sin, yet they're all afraid of suicide.
January 9, 2004, 3:35 PM
Grok
Regarding 'State'. While I meant state in it general sense, as in the governing authority with jusisdictional control, your argument is wrong about 'no matter what state'. The U.S. Consitution concedes to indiviuals those rights which are not relegated to federal or states. This leaves states in the position to make laws regarding assisted suicide, and in fact this is what you have. Different states have different laws. They are not the same no matter what state you're in.
January 9, 2004, 5:07 PM
Mitosis
Humans have no right to play God. Everyone has their own rights but you should not even have the choice of killing yourself. If euthanasia was completely legalized people could go around killing other people and say "Oh they wanted me to, mercy kill". Now thats the last thing we all need, more people being killed.
January 9, 2004, 9:31 PM
Newby
*Cops arrive on scene of a "murder"*

Cop #1: What happened here?
Person Alive: Oh the entire family wanted me to kill them because they were in pain
*Cop #2 looks at $50 million mansion .. wonders*
*Cop #1 kicks dead body next to him*
Cop #1: Hey buddy, did you want him to kill you?
*Dead body lies motionless*
Cop #1: Well, he ain't got shit on you. We'll just move along.

USA if euthanasia was legalized.
January 9, 2004, 9:38 PM
Kp
[quote author=Newby link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=0#msg39053 date=1073684304]USA if euthanasia was legalized.[/quote]

That depends a lot on how it's implemented in the law. It could be done in such a way that it's difficult to abuse. For instance, if you had to have impartial observers bear witness to the request and sign that they had done so. (and by impartial observers, I mean people who at least have absolutely nothing to gain from the death, and preferably don't even know the individuals in question).
January 9, 2004, 10:36 PM
j0k3r
Is it murder if you do it yourself or assist them? Yes.
[/quote]
January 9, 2004, 10:53 PM
Adron
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=0#msg39051 date=1073683879]
Humans have no right to play God.
[/quote]

You're right. Only God may give or take life. Typically he'll create life from male ribs. Allowing women to give birth must be immediately forbidden. To restore balance, a death penalty is the natural solution.

You agree?
January 9, 2004, 11:28 PM
Thing
[quote]To restore balance, a death penalty is the natural solution.

You agree?[/quote]
I love the Death Penalty! I still wish it was a spectator sport.
January 9, 2004, 11:43 PM
Mitosis
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=0#msg39068 date=1073690932]
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=0#msg39051 date=1073683879]
Humans have no right to play God.
[/quote]

You're right. Only God may give or take life. Typically he'll create life from male ribs. Allowing women to give birth must be immediately forbidden. To restore balance, a death penalty is the natural solution.

You agree?
[/quote]
Sorry Adron, I dont agree. It's not right and it isnt going to solve anything by taking someones life. Just think of it, your the criminal getting the death penalty, you would probably see this as the best for you because your going to die instantly instead of rott in a jail cel. It would be better if you could just make them have an extremely horrible life instead of killing them. Plus, two wrongs dont make a right.
January 9, 2004, 11:48 PM
Adron
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=0#msg39081 date=1073692097]
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=0#msg39068 date=1073690932]
Allowing women to give birth must be immediately forbidden. To restore balance, a death penalty is the natural solution.
[/quote]
It would be better if you could just make them have an extremely horrible life instead of killing them.
[/quote]

So your suggestion is to make all women that gave birth have an extremely horrible life? I suppose that works...
January 10, 2004, 12:05 AM
Mitosis
Alright, I umm, got really confused by reading your post and didnt know that you were talking about women. Suicide is the worst thing you could do to yourself, people dont tend to realise what they are doing. I know that the people that ask to be killed are termonilly ill but it is wrong to take someones life. Just like Abortion, Capital Punishment and Stem Cell Research. It may seam that we are doing the right thing but we arent!
January 10, 2004, 12:36 AM
Adron
And birth. It's creating life, when God should be doing all the giving and taking life!!
January 10, 2004, 2:28 AM
Thing
Mitosis, why are you against capital punishment? Have you formed your opinion through research and thoughtful analysis or are you just parroting what somebody else told you their sence of morality is?
January 10, 2004, 2:37 AM
Adron
If God gave us the abilities to procreate, take life, and research stem cells, why would some be against his will and not others? Don't they all deal with life? Weren't they all given us by God?
January 10, 2004, 2:50 AM
Mitosis
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=15#msg39108 date=1073702273]
Mitosis, why are you against capital punishment? Have you formed your opinion through research and thoughtful analysis or are you just parroting what somebody else told you their sence of morality is?
[/quote]

Done stuff on all of them. Abortion, Capital Punishment, Stem Cell Research (My favourite one I may add) and last but not least Euthanasia.

Well the way I see it, what does killing someone that killed someone solve? Nothing really. The person should just be put in jail for life, and have the most horrible memories. Killing them right away wont do much.

With Stem Cell Research, taking the Embroes (which are life-forms-to-be) and using them to cure parkinsons disease [spelling] is great but its not a cure. And you are not giving that Embroe a chance to fully grow and form into a human being. Think of it, incolyn [spelling] is not a cure for Diabetes, just life support. But with Embreos its different becasue they turn into a life form. And just because its not a human yet, does not mean that shouldnt have a chance at all to live.

Abortion is wrong in my opinion. It doesnt matter whether the situation was a rape case or anything else. The child should not be killed, its murder. Just because your father could have been a rapiest doesnt mean that, this child in paticular should never have a chance to grow up in this marvilous world and learn things because of one thing that went wrong in life.

Anyways guys, Ill explain more of what I think tomorrow, too tired right now. Gunna go read and hit the hay. Later all.
Peace.
January 10, 2004, 3:13 AM
Hitmen
I don't think anyone without cancer/AIDS has any right to comment on Euthanasia in that specific case, as I wouldn't doubt any of us without it don't have any idea what they have to go through.
January 10, 2004, 3:26 AM
Grok
Sperm each have the chance to grow into a life form. When you masturbate, you're killing billions. I don't think you can make a decision based on what could've been, *maybe that embryo could've become a human*. Well, maybe it could have been a miscarriage too? If so, what good will it have served?
January 10, 2004, 4:14 AM
j0k3r
Sorry to backtrack a bit...

[quote author=Mitosis link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=0#msg39099 date=1073694973]
Just like Abortion, Capital Punishment and Stem Cell Research. It may seam that we are doing the right thing but we arent!
[/quote]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't this provide new organs and limbs for those who are less fortunate in the future?

[quote author=Mitosis link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=15#msg39115 date=1073704416]
Well the way I see it, what does killing someone that killed someone solve? Nothing really. The person should just be put in jail for life, and have the most horrible memories. Killing them right away wont do much.
[/quote]
It keeps them from killing again.
January 10, 2004, 4:33 AM
Mitosis
[quote author=Hitmen link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=15#msg39118 date=1073705206]
I don't think anyone without cancer/AIDS has any right to comment on Euthanasia in that specific case, as I wouldn't doubt any of us without it don't have any idea what they have to go through.
[/quote]

I know what cancer patients go through, trust me, my brother died of it.

[quote] Posted by: Grok Posted on: Yesterday at 10:14:17pm
Sperm each have the chance to grow into a life form. When you masturbate, you're killing billions. I don't think you can make a decision based on what could've been, *maybe that embryo could've become a human*. Well, maybe it could have been a miscarriage too? If so, what good will it have served? [/quote]

Im not saying that masturbation is a bad thing, but with Embreos in paticular, people should just leave them alone until we can learn more about scientific cures for these major diseases. Instead of not giving Embreos a chance to grow, just so people can have "Life Support", why not let them be and just keep trying to find an actual CURE?

[quote] Just like Abortion, Capital Punishment and Stem Cell Research. It may seam that we are doing the right thing but we arent!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't this provide new organs and limbs for those who are less fortunate in the future? [/quote]

I dont think so, because the Embreo turns into a human being in the mothers womb. But since we arent for certain, Ill look that up and get back on yeah soon enough.

[quote] Well the way I see it, what does killing someone that killed someone solve? Nothing really. The person should just be put in jail for life, and have the most horrible memories. Killing them right away wont do much.

It keeps them from killing again. [/quote]

Yes it may keep the criminal from killing again, but honestly. Is it right to take someones life no matter what they have done? For all we know, lets say the person does get the death penalty, what if we find out months later that it wasnt really that person? Ooops, sorry. Thats why we should look to better solutions than Capital Punishment.
January 10, 2004, 1:26 PM
St0rm.iD
This isn't a legal question, its a moral question (for now).

Everyone knows that a Euthanasia bill would never pass both the Senate and the House. A large enough chunk of the voter population would be against it, so it would never get passed.

To make my point short, I support cloning/stem cell research, to a point. I believe that there will be a time when we have a kidney warehouse, where someone who needs a kidney transplant could get one. I don't, however, support full human cloning, which is many years away anyway.

In other news, some dude found out that baby teeth have stem cells in them. Score.
January 10, 2004, 2:46 PM
Mitosis
Its great with all the new technology and scientific research that the world has discovered but it isnt exactly the right thing to do. Instead of rushing into things we could learn alot more with time. Try and find a way to cure these major diseases without kiling anyone or life-form-to-be.
January 10, 2004, 3:39 PM
Grok
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=15#msg39154 date=1073746001]In other news, some dude found out that baby teeth have stem cells in them. Score.[/quote]

I'm wondering if we can snag Mitosis remaining baby teeth before he sheds them. I'm sure he wouldn't mind contributing them to save some embryos.
January 10, 2004, 7:46 PM
Mitosis
[quote author=Grok link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=15#msg39178 date=1073764004]
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=15#msg39154 date=1073746001]In other news, some dude found out that baby teeth have stem cells in them. Score.[/quote]

I'm wondering if we can snag Mitosis remaining baby teeth before he sheds them. I'm sure he wouldn't mind contributing them to save some embryos.
[/quote]
OH MY GROK. LMAO, Iv lost all my baby teath bud ;) But seriously why waste life-forms-to-be on something we arent exactly certain on? Explain that to me.
January 10, 2004, 9:02 PM
Hitmen
I don't see how an aborted fetus is a "life form to be".
January 10, 2004, 9:57 PM
Mitosis
[quote author=Hitmen link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=15#msg39189 date=1073771873]
[/quote]

A embryo grows into a baby.
January 10, 2004, 11:00 PM
St0rm.iD
My semen is a life form to be. Really. And I waste it all the time.

I think we, as a society, need to decide where life begins.
January 10, 2004, 11:32 PM
Hitmen
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=15#msg39194 date=1073775649]
[quote author=Hitmen link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=15#msg39189 date=1073771873]
[/quote]

A embryo grows into a baby.
[/quote]
You missed the key word. aborted. Why not use the fetus for stem cell reaserch if you're just gonna chuck it anyways?
January 11, 2004, 12:12 AM
St0rm.iD
Hot damn, the man has a point.
January 11, 2004, 12:44 AM
Grok
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=15#msg39198 date=1073777570]
My semen is a life form to be. Really. And I waste it all the time.

I think we, as a society, need to decide where life begins.
[/quote]

I disagree. We need to decide on where life is reasonably worth legislating protection for.
January 11, 2004, 1:47 AM
Mitosis
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=30#msg39201 date=1073781888]
Hot damn, the man has a point.
[/quote]

I see your point. If your just going to have an abortion, you might as well give it to research. But Im saying that its not right to have abortions. Your just killing a human being. And who can say whether you can kill or not?
January 11, 2004, 1:01 PM
Adron
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=15#msg39184 date=1073768527]
But seriously why waste life-forms-to-be on something we arent exactly certain on? Explain that to me.
[/quote]

This is the central point: We're not wasting things there isn't a surplus of. We can produce more of your "life-forms-to-be" than can be supported already. Lots of born and somewhat grown human children die from lack of nourishment/starvation already. It would be much better to concentrate on saving those that already have gotten a bit further. We can produce many more "life-forms-to-be" than we'll ever be able to support growing up. So, once we've filled the quota, we can use the remainder for stem-cell research.
January 11, 2004, 1:19 PM
Adron
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=30#msg39241 date=1073826088]
I see your point. If your just going to have an abortion, you might as well give it to research. But Im saying that its not right to have abortions. Your just killing a human being. And who can say whether you can kill or not?
[/quote]

We care too much about human life. Human life isn't any more unique than every tree growing outside your window is, or every cat or dog or pet, or ...

Life is life. Why should we care more about human life than about all the other life?
January 11, 2004, 1:22 PM
St0rm.iD
Sentient vs non-sentient, in my opinion.
January 11, 2004, 3:40 PM
Adron
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=30#msg39254 date=1073835647]
Sentient vs non-sentient, in my opinion.
[/quote]

That rule allows abortion though - you can't show that a foetus is any more sentient than a cat, bird or similar animal.
January 11, 2004, 3:52 PM
St0rm.iD
How about a law that says killing of non-sentient life is allowed? That allows abortion, masturbation, and deforestation. Hurray!
January 11, 2004, 3:55 PM
Adron
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=30#msg39259 date=1073836504]
How about a law that says killing of non-sentient life is allowed? That allows abortion, masturbation, and deforestation. Hurray!
[/quote]

Just make sure not to make specific laws against it. I.e., you're still not allowed to kill someone else's non-sentient life forms.
January 11, 2004, 4:03 PM
kamakazie
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=15#msg39144 date=1073741214]
Yes it may keep the criminal from killing again, but honestly. Is it right to take someones life no matter what they have done? For all we know, lets say the person does get the death penalty, what if we find out months later that it wasnt really that person? Ooops, sorry. Thats why we should look to better solutions than Capital Punishment.
[/quote]

If you get the death penalty, there is an automatic required appeal. Along with the time that would take, most inmates sit on death row for years awaiting death.

On a side note: Capitol punishment is more expensive than a similar case where the verdict was life imprisonment.
January 11, 2004, 5:05 PM
Adron
[quote author=kamakazie link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=30#msg39266 date=1073840740]
On a side note: Capitol punishment is more expensive than a similar case where the verdict was life imprisonment.
[/quote]

That's a problem. Should try to save money instead. Only use capital punishment for clear cases, and then do away with them quickly without appeal.
January 11, 2004, 5:16 PM
Mitosis
Im not exactly against Capital Punishment. Just I think that for only SERIOUS cases it can be an option to use. Instead for every murder.
January 11, 2004, 6:25 PM
kamakazie
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=30#msg39271 date=1073841365]
[quote author=kamakazie link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=30#msg39266 date=1073840740]
[/quote]

That's a problem. Should try to save money instead. Only use capital punishment for clear cases, and then do away with them quickly without appeal.
[/quote]

There is a law that any conviction with the penalty of death requires an automatic appeal. I believe it's a protection device so the government doesn't kill people that were actually innocent.
January 11, 2004, 7:14 PM
St0rm.iD
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=30#msg39287 date=1073845513]
Im not exactly against Capital Punishment. Just I think that for only SERIOUS cases it can be an option to use. Instead for every murder.
[/quote]

That's not the question. It's more expensive to go through the legal proceedings to execute someone than it is to hold them in jail forever.
January 12, 2004, 12:25 AM
Mitosis
Ok, say someone killed your mother. What would you want? For them to suffer the most, or get an easy death penalty? For me I would want to see them dead, but its not right. I would want them to suffer in the most worst way possible. Put them into jail, give them a HORRIBLE life. It would make them WANT the death penalty if you put them through a life of hell. Wouldnt you agree?
January 12, 2004, 12:38 AM
St0rm.iD
You'll find that people aren't that moral in real life.
January 12, 2004, 12:52 AM
Adron
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=30#msg39325 date=1073867105]

That's not the question. It's more expensive to go through the legal proceedings to execute someone than it is to hold them in jail forever.
[/quote]

Yeah, frying people has to be made easier.
January 12, 2004, 2:14 AM
Adron
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=45#msg39329 date=1073867900]
It would make them WANT the death penalty if you put them through a life of hell. Wouldnt you agree?
[/quote]

Yes, agreed, punishment could be severe. On the other hand, what we really want is to make sure they don't commit any more crimes. This should be about revenge but about preventing crimes. To accomplish that, you have to either keep them in jail long enough for them to change their way, or deem them not likely to improve and execute them right away.
January 12, 2004, 2:16 AM
Thing
I've spent time in prison and it isn't too horrible. The worst part about it is that the food sucks. Other than that it's just routine stuff; eat, work, watch tv, play games, sleep. Friday night is popcorn and movie night! Yea Friday night!!!

Oh yeah and we make fun of the guys on death row because they're gonna get fried. LOL.
January 12, 2004, 2:36 AM
Mitosis
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=45#msg39342 date=1073873765]
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=45#msg39329 date=1073867900]
It would make them WANT the death penalty if you put them through a life of hell. Wouldnt you agree?
[/quote]

Yes, agreed, punishment could be severe. On the other hand, what we really want is to make sure they don't commit any more crimes. This should be about revenge but about preventing crimes. To accomplish that, you have to either keep them in jail long enough for them to change their way, or deem them not likely to improve and execute them right away.
[/quote]

Improve the jails.
Make it more secure.
Trust me its not great living in jail. Gay people by guys off of thegaurds to use them as money, is that good? No..
January 12, 2004, 1:20 PM
Grok
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=45#msg39381 date=1073913641]
[quote author=Adron link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=45#msg39342 date=1073873765]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Improve the jails.
Make it more secure.
Trust me its not great living in jail. Gay people by guys off of thegaurds to use them as money, is that good? No..
[/quote]

Why would we need to trust you on what jail is like? Got some stories to tell us of your adventures?
January 12, 2004, 5:16 PM
Mitosis
Well, over the years Iv read up in school. People arent treated the best in jail now are they. They'd get beaten up, sold to gay's and stuff like that. Especially if your in jail in a foriegn country, your kinda screwed.
January 13, 2004, 11:53 AM
Adron
You're rather much wrong Mitosis. Jail is like a paid vacation, with free food. We've had foreign criminals here committing crimes to get to spend time in prison instead of having to go back to their home country (typically previous communist states).
January 13, 2004, 6:19 PM
Thing
OK Mitosis, here is a dose of reality that you won't find in any book or rumour.

I spent a couple of weeks in the Harris County Jail while completing my trial and sentencing. The day after that was finished I went to Huntsville for processing. This place wasn't too bad. I stayed in a two man cell with the door open all day. We had a day room where we could watch tv or play dominoes, etc. The fun part came during the testing. The state wanted to make sure they had a good idea of just how weird you were so we all got our heads shrunk and took IQ tests. After that, we were sent to Gore where we waited until they assigned us to our unit.

I drew Hackberry Unit which is part of the Hilltop complex. Good deal for me since this was a minimum security prison. Hackberry wasn't too bad, I got to work outside picking up trash and cutting grass with a hoe. I was in a dorm with 59 other guys. I made a chess board and pieces out of a sheet and match boxes. It was crude but it worked. I taught some of the guys to play chess and it helped kill some time. I made money by rolling cigarettes for others. Two for one is the standard payment. I would roll two for them and one for me. I could then use the cigarettes to trade for other things. After a couple of months I was sent to Sycamore Unit.

Sycamore Unit is where we grew most of the vegetables that we ate. We would crawl up and down the rows and pull weeds. Sometimes we would go over to the guards houses and pull weeds. The dorm was smaller here. Mine housed around 30 inmates. I really felt sorry for the guards that had to watch us because while we were goofing off, watching tv and playing games, they had to sit in a little cage and watch us. That job must have sucked ass. A few months of this and I was moved to Hilltop. Yeah!

Hilltop was the best. I was in a dorm with 5 other guys. We had our own tv and lots of different games and books. I worked in the garment factory making belt loops. Yes you heard me right "belt loops". I bet you never thought about how belt loops were made but I can tell you if you want to know. My dorm mates had been locked up for a while so they were well over their stupidity phase. We all got along very well and would have a big spread every week on commissary day. I stayed here until I was released on parole.

Thoughts and observations:
I was involved in two fights. I won both.
I was never approached about sex either me being the receiver or giver.
I was offered drugs, alcohol, tattoos and other contraband but never accepted.
I found great humor in the Jail house Christians that suddenly "found God" once they were locked up.
The state made no effort to try and rehabilitate me in any way.
The food sucked.
Everybody's farts smell the same in prison.
Being a convicted felon keeps me from serving on a jury yet I still get to vote. :)
January 14, 2004, 12:16 AM
Grok
POST OF THE DAY
January 14, 2004, 1:07 AM
kamakazie
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=45#msg39502 date=1074039362]
Being a convicted felon keeps me from serving on a jury yet I still get to vote. :)
[/quote]

Might I ask...what did you do?
January 14, 2004, 1:40 AM
Grok
[quote author=kamakazie link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=45#msg39527 date=1074044428]
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=45#msg39502 date=1074039362]
[/quote]

Might I ask...what did you do?
[/quote]

He's innocent dangit! The one armed man did it!
January 14, 2004, 3:04 AM
Thing
Kamakazie, what I did or didn't do is not important. What is important is that I could not afford the right attorney. Besides, as Grok said, I am eeenocent.
January 14, 2004, 4:56 AM
Hitmen
The shawshank redemption taught us everyone in prison is innocent.
January 14, 2004, 7:41 PM
hismajesty
Ok, say someone killed your mother. What would you want? For them to suffer the most, or get an easy death penalty? For me I would want to see them dead, but its not right. I would want them to suffer in the most worst way possible. Put them into jail, give them a HORRIBLE life. It would make them WANT the death penalty if you put them through a life of hell. Wouldnt you agree?
[/quote]

Yeah, why would you want to give somebody the pleasure of living in a place with maximum security and get to count down the days until they die for eight years? No no, it'd be much much horrible for them to sit in a place and watch football, check their email, and smoke/sell/trade dope/other drugs/things all day.
January 14, 2004, 8:04 PM
St0rm.iD
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=45#msg39464 date=1073994803]
Well, over the years Iv read up in school. People arent treated the best in jail now are they. They'd get beaten up, sold to gay's and stuff like that. Especially if your in jail in a foriegn country, your kinda screwed.
[/quote]

US jails != Afghani jails.
January 15, 2004, 8:11 PM
Mitosis
Not just that, alot of European countries would do that, and if your bad they would take you out and get an inmate to beet the shit out of you. But anyway, Im still against Euthanasia and Abortion and Stem Cell Research, Capital Punishment.
January 15, 2004, 10:21 PM
St0rm.iD
I was 14 when I started to have my own opinions. When you really, truly understand that everything you see and hear is biased, you can begin to form your own opinions.

To be short, everything that your teachers say might not neccessarily be true.
January 15, 2004, 11:24 PM
Grok
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=2;threadid=4656;start=60#msg39700 date=1074205267]Not just that, alot of European countries would do that, and if your bad they would take you out and get an inmate to beet the shit out of you.[/quote]

Umm wake the hell up. You can get the same treatment from your parents, and they don't require you to have been bad. Who needs Europe?
January 16, 2004, 12:21 AM

Search