Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Bot Creator Ezine

AuthorMessageTime
Tuberload
Please take the part about whether you can program or not seriously. I would not be able to provide the right kind of help without knowing who actually is interested.

This ezine would hopefully help answer the most frequently asked question on this forum, by providing articles, tutorials, code, etc... The idea is not to create cookie cutter bots by providing complete programs, but explain the process of creating a bot. Giving a new programmer a guideline of what to learn, and how to apply it. While going into more advanced, individual topics for the intermediate to advanced programmer.

I am posting this because I know I could learn a lot by doing this, and hopefully others could too.
January 5, 2004, 6:10 AM
Gangz
To be honest with you I think that poll is useless. If they are posting obviously they know something. The tuts and everything is a really good idea though, I support it. I would be willing to even help you if need be.
January 5, 2004, 6:29 AM
iago
lol, nobody will admit to not being able to program :)
January 5, 2004, 11:11 AM
hismajesty
Looks as if one person did. ;) Well, I guess he kind of did seeing as he didn't post who he is.
January 5, 2004, 8:25 PM
Fr0z3N
I'd like to help ;D
January 5, 2004, 8:44 PM
Tuberload
[quote author=Gangz link=board=17;threadid=4604;start=0#msg38425 date=1073284194]
To be honest with you I think that poll is useless. If they are posting obviously they know something. The tuts and everything is a really good idea though, I support it. I would be willing to even help you if need be.
[/quote]
Either my post wasn't easy enough to interpret or you just didn't read it, because it stated the purpose of the poll.

[quote]lol, nobody will admit to not being able to program[/quote]
This is true, but I thought it would be interesting to see the results.

What I really meant by taking the programming part seriously was whether or not without ripping anyone else's code you can program a basic chat bot on your own. I forgot though that everyone here is way beyond that.

I learn a lot by putting what I know into my own words, so here soon a first issue will be released. If anyone is interested, once I get at least one issue out, let me know and your more than welcome to help.
January 5, 2004, 9:23 PM
Hitmen
[quote author=iago link=board=17;threadid=4604;start=0#msg38432 date=1073301097]
lol, nobody will admit to not being able to program :)
[/quote]
I can't program anything worthwhile if that counts :P
January 6, 2004, 5:22 AM
MesiaH
damn good idea as long as im part of it ;D
January 6, 2004, 7:11 AM
Tuberload
All future issue outlines and releases will be posted on a separate web site that will be released as soon as it is up. Issue notices will be posted in this thread, or possibly separate threads to allow for discussions, as long as vL permits.

For now all code examples will be written in Java. If you are a C/C++ programmer the syntax will at least be familiar to you. To the rest, the main goals of this are to teach programming concepts, not give out free code. Future issues may contain examples in various languages.

[u]The Battle.net Bot Creator[/u]
Issue One: What it really takes to be a bot.

Objective: To give new comers to the programming world an idea of what it actually takes to make a Batle.net chat client they can call their own.

Outline:
- Battle.net Chat Clients: Whats really going on under the hood?
- Outbound Data: What's all the talk about queues and anti-flood algowhatevers?
- Channel Lists: Who am I talking to?
- Command Handler: What does he want, and why should I trust him?
- Member Databases: What was his name?

Disclaimer: This is a personal project so I am not guaranteeing anything, nor do I claim to be the expert. Please read at your own risk. If humor offends you, please ignore.
January 6, 2004, 9:08 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=17;threadid=4604;start=0#msg38424 date=1073283035]
This ezine would hopefully help answer the most frequently asked question on this forum, by providing articles, tutorials, code, etc... The idea is not to create cookie cutter bots by providing complete programs, but explain the process of creating a bot. Giving a new programmer a guideline of what to learn, and how to apply it. While going into more advanced, individual topics for the intermediate to advanced programmer.
[/quote]

I think the idea itself is novel but flawed.....

It would be cool if we could have some kind of e-zine talking about bots and whatnot. However, the people who would sign up for the e-zine are mostly people who have already somehow contributed to the world of online bot-making.

It would be wise if you wanted to expand your idea, say to perhaps, general programming, internet programming, or that kind - then you could not only talk about bots, but also about client emulators (such as Trillian) or web programming. I think then your audience would be broad enough that you would have 1.) enough people willing to contribute and share, and 2.) enough demand to warrant the usage of people's time and effort.

I'd be willing to contribute, despite the fact that the polls have closed.
January 8, 2004, 1:49 AM
MesiaH
Why do that when we can focus on our main topic? Battle.net programming. All articles will have nicely coded and commented examples and such, and if they don't know how to program, they obviously shouldnt be reading it...
January 9, 2004, 1:43 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=17;threadid=4604;start=0#msg38778 date=1073526554]
I think the idea itself is novel but flawed.....

It would be cool if we could have some kind of e-zine talking about bots and whatnot. However, the people who would sign up for the e-zine are mostly people who have already somehow contributed to the world of online bot-making.

It would be wise if you wanted to expand your idea, say to perhaps, general programming, internet programming, or that kind - then you could not only talk about bots, but also about client emulators (such as Trillian) or web programming. I think then your audience would be broad enough that you would have 1.) enough people willing to contribute and share, and 2.) enough demand to warrant the usage of people's time and effort.

I'd be willing to contribute, despite the fact that the polls have closed.
[/quote]

First off I don't really care how broad my audience gets, I am doing this more or less for myself. Second, I do not want to turn this into just another programming guide. I want to create something unique and useful. Hopefully I will help someone in the process. Please wait for the ezine's first issue before you start criticizing what you obviously know nothing about. How do I know you know nothing about it? Simple, I am the only one working on it right now. I would also like to point out one small detail:

[quote]
To the rest, the main goals of this are to teach programming concepts, not give out free code.
[/quote]

To teach these programming concepts, I plan on using something of interest to most of the people on this forum. I figured the overview of the first issue would point out that I plan on teaching what is necessary to create a basic chat bot. Future issues will expand on that. Basically this means I will *try* and teach internet programming, database programming, i/o, string manipulation, collections, OOP, etc... In a manner that will hopefully keep a specific crowd interested.

As of now I have no interest to put out issues on a regular basis, but maybe sometime in the future I can expand it to other types of chat clients/emulators. I like to call it starting small, and taking on projects when and if I can.

I hope this gives you and *anyone else interested* a better understanding of what it is I am really trying to do.
January 9, 2004, 9:16 PM
Tasha
I can't program! :'(
January 18, 2004, 3:21 AM
DarkMinion
Tuberload, hey.

I'd be willing to help you out.
January 18, 2004, 6:14 AM
Tuberload
[quote author=DarkMinion link=board=17;threadid=4604;start=0#msg40020 date=1074406481]
Tuberload, hey.

[/quote]

Consider yourself hired. It is taking me much longer than expected, but the site should be up in a few days, and the first issue in a few more. I would love to have experienced people helping me with future issues.
January 19, 2004, 7:53 PM
R.a.B.B.i.T
[quote author=Tuberload link=board=17;threadid=4604;start=0#msg40172 date=1074542024]
[quote author=DarkMinion link=board=17;threadid=4604;start=0#msg40020 date=1074406481]
Tuberload, hey.

[/quote]

Consider yourself hired. It is taking me much longer than expected, but the site should be up in a few days, and the first issue in a few more. I would love to have experienced people helping me with future issues.

[/quote]

I could help, I need something to do instead of homework.
January 20, 2004, 12:19 AM
Tuberload
Due to a severe lack of time the ezine will be postponed till further notice.
January 27, 2004, 7:59 AM

Search