Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | C/C++ Programming | plz help wit c++, new to this!

AuthorMessageTime
neoxgold
hi, i was introduced to c++ by grok, because he said i was still young to learn vb... so can sum 1 here explain c++ to me in a way i can understand it?
thx! :)
January 3, 2004, 4:01 AM
Spht
[quote author=neoxgold link=board=30;threadid=4571;start=0#msg38118 date=1073102460]
hi, i was introduced to c++ by grok, because he said i was still young to learn vb... so can sum 1 here explain c++ to me in a way i can understand it?
thx! :)
[/quote]

Start with C.
January 3, 2004, 4:08 AM
neoxgold
ok..... than can sum 1 here explain c to me, in a simple way? the introduction of c..
January 3, 2004, 4:10 AM
iago
play with this:

[code]#include <stdio.h>
int main()
{
printf("This is a test!\m");
for(int i = 0; i < 10; i++)
{
printf("i = %d\n", i);
}
return 0;
}

If you don't have a compiler, get one from www.bloodshed.net[/code]
January 3, 2004, 5:20 AM
MoNksBaNe_Agahnim
I don't think you need to know C before C++...although i guess it could depend on the person's age.

C++ is a language that can do anything you need...best way i can describe it haha
January 3, 2004, 5:46 AM
iago
C and C++ have some limitations. Basically, some things, while they can all be done, take a lot of effort to do. Just as an example, RMI in Java same TONS of trouble in C++ :)
January 3, 2004, 1:16 PM
Kp
[quote author=iago link=board=30;threadid=4571;start=0#msg38164 date=1073135796]
C and C++ have some limitations. Basically, some things, while they can all be done, take a lot of effort to do. Just as an example, RMI in Java same TONS of trouble in C++ :)[/quote]

RMI = Remote Method Invocation? If so, sounds much like RPC, which has been pretty easy to set up under Unix C implementations for a while, with the aid of rpcgen.
January 3, 2004, 6:14 PM
Skywing
I think that would be fairly easy under Win32 if you knew ATL and C++.
January 3, 2004, 6:19 PM
iago
There's other things too. Mostly because they have a huge collection of classes to do pretty much everything from downloading websites to calling remote methods, etc. I'm sure it can be done in C++, but I'm not sure that anybody has.
January 3, 2004, 6:24 PM
Skywing
[quote author=iago link=board=30;threadid=4571;start=0#msg38198 date=1073154264]
There's other things too. Mostly because they have a huge collection of classes to do pretty much everything from downloading websites to calling remote methods, etc. I'm sure it can be done in C++, but I'm not sure that anybody has.
[/quote]
There are plenty of libraries to do that from C/C++ on just about every major platform - for instance WinInet or WinHTTP for Win32.
January 3, 2004, 8:48 PM
Grok
[quote author=iago link=board=30;threadid=4571;start=0#msg38198 date=1073154264]
[/quote]

Not being sure that anybody has is a far cry from nobody has done.

What I try to make clear to my managers at work is the answer is always "yes". Whatever business problem we could possibly come up with at our little company (< 500 employees), has been met and conquered at hundreds or thousands of companies around the world.

Same thing here, C++ is in such widespread use that just about every possible useful and popularly needed library has been written dozens of times.
January 3, 2004, 10:33 PM
neoxgold
how come when i compile my c project, and run it. it would pop up for like 1 sec and dissapear? :-\
January 4, 2004, 2:06 PM
iago
It's closing when it's finished.

At the top,
#include <stdlib.h>

Before your main function's return:
system("pause");

that's the easiest way.
January 4, 2004, 2:12 PM
imablackhat
Yeah I'm new to C++ too, I used to program in Visual Basic 6.0. Which I don't consider programming since its so basic and simple. I don't have a windows C++ compiler, so I use linux gentoo's G++ compiler. Can anyone point out some good tutorial/source code learning websites for this? Thanks. :P
January 4, 2004, 5:32 PM
MrRaza
easiest think to do is search google or read a book.
January 4, 2004, 6:28 PM
Grok
[quote author=imablackhat link=board=30;threadid=4571;start=0#msg38331 date=1073237570]I used to program in Visual Basic 6.0. Which I don't consider programming since its so basic and simple.[/quote]

cute!
January 4, 2004, 7:17 PM
Kp
[quote author=imablackhat link=board=30;threadid=4571;start=0#msg38331 date=1073237570]
Yeah I'm new to C++ too, I used to program in Visual Basic 6.0. Which I don't consider programming since its so basic and simple. I don't have a windows C++ compiler, so I use linux gentoo's G++ compiler. Can anyone point out some good tutorial/source code learning websites for this? Thanks. :P[/quote]

There are Windows ports of GCC available, though they're rarely up with the most current GCC release. Check out Minimalist GNU for Windows. They have support for compiling C, C++, and Java (yes, you can actually compile Java to native code, as opposed to Java byte code -- their implementation of JCF is incomplete though, so some things don't work).
January 4, 2004, 7:30 PM

Search