Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Programming | Batch File Question

AuthorMessageTime
ProgGuy
I want to send a carriage return to the same batch file that I'm currently running. This is for after I send a password, and need to press enter for the password to be accepted. I've read that pipeing ("|") works to send stuff like this to another program/batch file, but not to the same batch file.

Would anyone know how to do this? Or even know what I'm talking about? :)
January 2, 2004, 6:05 PM
Spht
echo.? pause? Not sure what you're wanting to do.
January 2, 2004, 6:14 PM
CupHead
Piping sends the output of one command into another as a parameter (I think). If you want to store the output in a file, use the > operator. So PrintStuff > MyFile.txt will redirect whatever output PrintStuff has into MyFile.txt.
January 2, 2004, 8:24 PM
Kp
[quote author=CupHead link=board=5;threadid=4565;start=0#msg38068 date=1073075086]
Piping sends the output of one command into another as a parameter (I think).[/quote]

You're thinking of backticks, and then only on certain command interpreters. Piping attachs stdout of the source process to stdin of the destination process. For instance, ls -l | grep foo requests a long listing with ls -l, then feeds all that ls -l prints into grep, which is told to look for 'foo'. grep reads its input and prints lines which contain foo.
January 2, 2004, 8:31 PM

Search