Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Why Battle.net?

AuthorMessageTime
iago
Battle.net has stability issues occasionally, poor moderation capabilities, has a closed protocol, and some other issues, so why do we even use it for chatting?

IRC, on the other hand, has good moderation, many different servers, open protocol/servers, and supports other things like secure SSL encryption easily. So why do we feel the need to use battle.net to chat?
January 2, 2004, 10:57 AM
Stealth
So that we're not broadcasting our IP addresses to people who shouldn't have them? *shrug*
January 2, 2004, 11:07 AM
iago
[quote author=Stealth link=board=2;threadid=4559;start=0#msg38017 date=1073041658]
So that we're not broadcasting our IP addresses to people who shouldn't have them? *shrug*
[/quote]

It only broadcasts your ip if the servers does it. On the server I use, my ip is masked and it shows up as, "vL"
January 2, 2004, 11:09 AM
Naem
//mode $me +x
January 2, 2004, 4:55 PM
Raven
Battle.net is calmer than IRC. For our purposes, it suits us just fine.
January 2, 2004, 4:56 PM
iago
[quote author=Raven link=board=2;threadid=4559;start=0#msg38040 date=1073062605]
Battle.net is calmer than IRC. For our purposes, it suits us just fine.
[/quote]

I don't see what you mean by calmer. If you mean less traffic, then why not just use a private or, at least, a special server? I use Slacktech's (thanks to tmp) and there's very little traffic there.

I'm still not seeing a good reason for choosing battle.net over irc :)
January 2, 2004, 7:41 PM
Skywing
I use Battle.net because I play Blizzard games and/or talk to people who play Blizzard games...
January 2, 2004, 7:59 PM
Raven
[quote author=Skywing link=board=2;threadid=4559;start=0#msg38067 date=1073073587]
I use Battle.net because I play Blizzard games and/or talk to people who play Blizzard games...
[/quote]

That is, ofcourse, one of the more standard reasons. Please don't forget, we are a battle.net clan afterall. If you want to meet elsewhere with other people, that's easily your prerogative. :)
January 2, 2004, 8:57 PM
iago
I can't remember the last time I've seen or heard of anybody else in the clan playing a blizzard game, though! I've been playing a little solo d2 lately, but that's aboot it..
January 3, 2004, 5:18 AM
Spht
[quote author=iago link=board=2;threadid=4559;start=0#msg38136 date=1073107118]
I can't remember the last time I've seen or heard of anybody else in the clan playing a blizzard game, though! I've been playing a little solo d2 lately, but that's aboot it..
[/quote]

Just got out of a game a Brood War. You probably don't know when I play a game because I don't broadcast it in the channel...
January 3, 2004, 5:30 AM
Hostile
Ok, one simple concept... There really isn't a point to use battle.net anymore in compared to IRC other then the fact that if vL hosted an IRC server it would come under constant attacks by certain dumbasses. You have to understand, we don't have to maintain battle.net either. I'm not saying it would be hard to maintain an IRC server but you're forgetting one thing. Despite that all of rarely if ever play battle.net games, it is where we all met. There will come a time where we will have to move somewhere else (because theres a good chance WoW will be the beginning of the end of battle.net), but until we have to its really pointless to move. Not to mention trying to get everyone to agree on common substitute. Once again the only reason behind battle.net being mutually agreed apon is because thats where we all met. Try getting Kp on MSN or Skywing on IRC. Its not just them, because I wouldn't use things like ICQ or whatever else for that matter. I've tried suggesting to Skywing about something like BotNet channels but it's too soon to tell right now.

PS: Well, I think for like Me/Grok/Adron theres a mutual feeling that we have played far too much Starcraft to continue anymore (specially considering we played almost every night in January/February) so yeah, we're either on a break from that or totally finished with it. Diablo 2, well despite 1.10 patch I played that game way too fucking much. I can't even stand to be on it, it is sheer boredom. Heres a little surprise though, I've been playing Warcraft 3 lately, even started to make a toy for it and well even when World of Warcraft comes out there is like a 99% chance I am getting it if it turns out to be a good game. (Its looking very very good at the moment)
January 3, 2004, 8:42 AM
wut
[quote author=Hostile link=board=2;threadid=4559;start=0#msg38150 date=1073119342]
Ok, one simple concept... There really isn't a point to use battle.net anymore in compared to IRC other then the fact that if vL hosted an IRC server it would come under constant attacks by certain dumbasses. You have to understand, we don't have to maintain battle.net either. I'm not saying it would be hard to maintain an IRC server but you're forgetting one thing. Despite that all of rarely if ever play battle.net games, it is where we all met. There will come a time where we will have to move somewhere else (because theres a good chance WoW will be the beginning of the end of battle.net), but until we have to its really pointless to move. Not to mention trying to get everyone to agree on common substitute. Once again the only reason behind battle.net being mutually agreed apon is because thats where we all met. Try getting Kp on MSN or Skywing on IRC. Its not just them, because I wouldn't use things like ICQ or whatever else for that matter. I've tried suggesting to Skywing about something like BotNet channels but it's too soon to tell right now.

PS: Well, I think for like Me/Grok/Adron theres a mutual feeling that we have played far too much Starcraft to continue anymore (specially considering we played almost every night in January/February) so yeah, we're either on a break from that or totally finished with it. Diablo 2, well despite 1.10 patch I played that game way too fucking much. I can't even stand to be on it, it is sheer boredom. Heres a little surprise though, I've been playing Warcraft 3 lately, even started to make a toy for it and well even when World of Warcraft comes out there is like a 99% chance I am getting it if it turns out to be a good game. (Its looking very very good at the moment)
[/quote]

You wouldn't need to host your own net to use IRC -- you could use one of the larger, public networks that already have dumbasses packeting them :-P. Look at Fatal-Error for example, they have a channel on Freenode; a very good tech-oriented network with an open source ircd, IPv6 support, and a whole bunch of other shit that battle.net doesn't have.
January 3, 2004, 6:56 PM
Hostile
Well that kind of sacrifices one of the reasons to move to a different server then, we won't have control over it.
January 3, 2004, 7:54 PM
iago
You still have a lot more control than battle.net. For example, there's a mode where nobody in the channel can talk except for people designated by ops. There's a way to lock a channel so nobody else can join. That's only to name a couple.
January 4, 2004, 7:56 AM
Hostile
Yes, There are ways to keep channels hidden, moderated, and trust me, I could be wrong but I almost certain you're just going through a phase. Yes, it theoretically could be better but hosting the server wise would be more of a pain, and the clients down right suck. mIRC is ok, but then most of the good offshoot scripts for mIRC end up never getting updated. (IRCap, ircN, Invision) and like I said, the whole endevor would be pointless atm. Don't think I'm disregarding it as a phase, but know that I went through it too. I thought IRC was great, but something about it gets terribly boring after time. :P Perhaps since its only purpose is for chatting or bad experiences, who knows.

PS: Ok, he finally updated Invision I guess I was wrong on that one. :p hehe since you're most likely using mIRC, try Invision. It uses a modified script with mIRC executable. http://invision.lebyte.com
January 4, 2004, 8:57 AM
iago
Somebody should set up an irc program that can set up Starcraft games :)

The fact that you can write scripts makes it better than most bots on battle.net. mIRC is extremely customizable, more so than any other program I've ever seen, so I wouldn't say the clients suck. There are clients for both windows (mIRC) and linux (xchat) and mac (who cares?), which is another advantage.

It's not that I'm suggesting that everybody moves to IRC.. I don't care much about that. I just want to know WHY we don't use IRC. It's at least as good as battle.net in every way.. using some major server on irc vs. using some major server for battle.net is the same thing, except that others can legally host IRC servers unlike battle.net servers :)
January 4, 2004, 9:51 AM
Hostile
Ok; Obviously I already know that IRC clients are customizable thanks to irc script, and the mIRC executable being so "clean". However... IRC Scripting is boring :p and go try the client I mentioned.
January 4, 2004, 6:54 PM
Skywing
mIRC is pretty sucky. It doesn't handle lost network connections at all. I get the feeling that the guy who wrote it knew little to none about network programming.
January 4, 2004, 7:36 PM
Soul Taker
Can easily make your own IRC client.
January 4, 2004, 9:50 PM
Bsd
Ok, stfu 2 *... I'm sure it was not more then a month ago that I sat here and preached the word of IRC.. All I got back was, "No, blah, no no no"... Wtf? All of a sudden you kiddos want to venture into territories unknown? IRC rules and all you fags have been to scared to try it for soooooo long. Now you hop on, see that it isn't all that bad, and now you have Iago's preaching the word of IRC > B.net.. Please, stick to your guns kiddos, IRC is no place for vL or other battle.net lamers.

Edit - BTW!! IRC wasn't made to be some super-elite chatting client. I was made to be a simple chat client/server. Battle.net chat clients on the other hand were solely built to look pretty while chatting with other gamers.. If you want a client that looks pretty, go buy SC, if you want to chat w/o the bs, http://mirc.com is a good place to start!

-P.S. Hostile is gay, and YES I AM WATCHING!
January 4, 2004, 10:53 PM
hismajesty
The only incentive you gave for us to come on IRC was so you could attempt to do our hardware harm. I just couldn't allow Betsy to be in that kind of danger.
January 4, 2004, 11:03 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=Bsd link=board=2;threadid=4559;start=15#msg38369 date=1073256819]
Ok, stfu 2 *... I'm sure it was not more then a month ago that I sat here and preached the word of IRC.. All I got back was, "No, blah, no no no"... Wtf? All of a sudden you kiddos want to venture into territories unknown?
[/quote]
So since we didn't listen to you be an ass and tell us we're all retarded, means we can't learn it if we want? Us 'kiddos' can do any damn thing we want and there is nothing you can do about it.

IRC rules and all you fags have been to scared to try it for soooooo long. Now you hop on, see that it isn't all that bad, and now you have Iago's preaching the word of IRC > B.net.. Please, stick to your guns kiddos, IRC is no place for vL or other battle.net lamers.
[/quote]
Scared to try or just uninterested? I bet alot of people on IRC started as 'battle.net lamers', wtf is a 'battle.net lamer'? People who want to play games everyone in awhile? People who don't think they're badass cause they can use a chat client?

Edit - BTW!! IRC wasn't made to be some super-elite chatting client. I was made to be a simple chat client/server. Battle.net chat clients on the other hand were solely built to look pretty while chatting with other gamers.. If you want a client that looks pretty, go buy SC, if you want to chat w/o the bs, http://mirc.com is a good place to start!

[/quote]
Battle.net chat clients were built as a way to get into games and discuss things outside of the game, such as strategy. As for chat without the bs -- if there are others like you I'll never touch the thing.
January 4, 2004, 11:41 PM
iago
I was never against irc, I was against you.
January 5, 2004, 1:17 AM
Bsd
Joker - Many worse then I lurk the realms of IRC. Second, don't try and disect my garble! You're an idiot and we all know it, now hush.

AS FOR IAGO - Trying out one IRC server with 10 users w/ IP Masks and SSL doesn't make you much the IRC user, now does it? I must now preach the word of IRC.FISIX.NET.
January 5, 2004, 4:36 AM
Tuberload
Ok, stfu 2 *... I'm sure it was not more then a month ago that I sat here and preached the word of IRC.. All I got back was, "No, blah, no no no"... Wtf? All of a sudden you kiddos want to venture into territories unknown? IRC rules and all you fags have been to scared to try it for soooooo long. Now you hop on, see that it isn't all that bad, and now you have Iago's preaching the word of IRC > B.net.. Please, stick to your guns kiddos, IRC is no place for vL or other battle.net lamers.

[/quote]

I have always been fascinated by elite groups of people, such as specops, CIA, NSA, and various other entities. Now you have me interested in IRC Gods. Please, oh great one, enlighten me on what exactly it is you do that makes you what you are.
January 5, 2004, 5:37 AM
13-yr-Old-Newb
My opinion here is that you should stay with battle.net. If you left to IRC [vL] would become almost non-existant. No one will have heard of you and no new members will come. If you stay on battle.net then youngens like me might discover you and want to become programmers, come to this site and learn! It's like a business, If you put it on a busy street you will get more business. If you move it to a street in the middle of nowhere then no one new will come only your regulars. Well that is just my opinion.

--13-yr-old-newb
January 6, 2004, 11:01 PM
iago
[quote author=13-yr-Old-Newb link=board=2;threadid=4559;start=15#msg38575 date=1073430096]
My opinion here is that you should stay with battle.net. If you left to IRC [vL] would become almost non-existant. No one will have heard of you and no new members will come. If you stay on battle.net then youngens like me might discover you and want to become programmers, come to this site and learn! It's like a business, If you put it on a busy street you will get more business. If you move it to a street in the middle of nowhere then no one new will come only your regulars. Well that is just my opinion.

--13-yr-old-newb

[/quote]

So it's decided,we're going to irc ;)
January 7, 2004, 1:13 AM
Grok
Hahaha +1
January 7, 2004, 1:17 AM

Search