Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | That's Odd Part 2 (Technically Related this Time)

AuthorMessageTime
Raven
For some odd reason, IE takes about 3x as long to start up now. I've checked memory, and everything seems to be fine. There are no viruses on my system, and all other programs start up normally. Once IE does start up, everything is fine while surfing. I've made no changes to my registry or any other such values on my system when this oddity emerged. There are no obvious parity errors. I didn't install or remove any components immediately prior to this anomaly's occurrance. Anyone got any ideas?
December 31, 2003, 4:51 PM
St0rm.iD
A lot of programs like to make changes to IE. See what you've installed recently?
December 31, 2003, 6:21 PM
Raven
Nothing has been installed or changed since this happened. I also rolledback IE, and the problem persisted. It's not a very bothersome occurrance, but it's kinda intriguing, and it makes me feel like my comp is running efficiently which is annoying. ;)
December 31, 2003, 6:24 PM
St0rm.iD
Format :)
December 31, 2003, 7:54 PM
Raven
That was my solution to a few problems on my first comp. ;)

I might've narrowed down the problem; apparently the slowdown occurs when I try to open a new browser window. Naturally, I assume it's having a hard time reaching a necessary file to open a browser window, so perhaps a file IE uses may have been corrupted or kicked in the face by some other program I run normally (unlikely, however).
December 31, 2003, 8:24 PM
j0k3r
So reinstall IE?
December 31, 2003, 8:46 PM
Stealth
Try running SpyBot.
January 1, 2004, 8:15 AM
mejal
I had similar problems with Power Point. I format and the problems came back. I reinstalled and the problems doesn't disappear.
Finally I found in the documents and settings directory a map were PP had stored over 10,000 files. I solved the problem with a batch file which deleted all files in that directory every time I started the computer.
Just an idea, look for many small files or a huge file in your profile.
January 1, 2004, 9:11 AM
Raven
Stealth: My first intuitions also pointed to spyware (the loading of spyware could cause the unusual delay from program launch to the first window opening). I ran Adaware, and after it found about 85 "not-too-useful" cookies, I was optimistic, however, the problem persisted. I also got SpyBot after that, and it too found some Spyware that Adaware missed. Once again optimistic, but once again, the same results. After that I kinda went to sleep cuz it was early. ;)

Mejal: I also assumed that perhaps the OCCache might've just overaccumulated, but it seemed pretty empty. I purged my cookies and temp internet files, but that didn't seem to work. I cleaned out the DPF and OCCache folders (for the most part), but I don't think that really did the trick either. Finally, I just started searching my C drive for any and all suspicious folders, and just looked in them. Finally, I stumbled upon the C:\Windows\System\TEMP folder, and saw a few files in there, so I figured since it's a TEMP folder, I'll just delete them as well and see if that could've been the culprit. After sending those files to the bin, IE appears to finally work properly again! :) :)

However, it's still a bit odd. There weren't that many files of them, and even though I neglected to check their dates of cre. and mod. dates, I just find it odd that they could've been the culprit (if it really was those files to begin with). Anyway, thanks to everyone who posted. I think the problem is finally fixed. :)
January 1, 2004, 8:23 PM

Search