Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Help with Windows Computer Errors

AuthorMessageTime
MesiaH
Ok, i have 2 hard drives in a computer, along with a floppy, and a cdrom drive. The cd rom drive is set as primary master (as it should), and the hard drive i want to boot from is set as primary slave. Then my other hard drive is set to secondary slave. (should be master, i know, but this is irrelevant to my problem)

Reason for this, is so i can host the computer as a server, one hard drive running windows, and all my remote access applications, etc. The slaved drive will be for content only. This way the server will stay very stable, and if for any reason, my operating system crashes, my files are still preserved.

Heres my problem, it used to run fine, but then after i installed the second hard drive and the cd rom drive, i get blue screens and explorer crashes up the ass, rendering the computer completely useless. even got a weird blue screen error that said "windows protection error, your system has been halted, please restart".

the os the main hard drive has is windows ME. this has never occurred before, and i cannot fix it at all, no safe mode, nadda.

now, i have windows xp on my slaved drive, but when i run that, i get the evil blue screen with no usefull info at all, except i need to shut down the computer, and the process will just repeat. I've tried running this in safe mode also, but when it tries to load the drivers and stuff, it stops at Mup.sys. Totally clueless.

But heres the thing, these hard drives are fine if i slap them in my good computer, so wtf is going on...

some other specs: has agp 4mb video card, ethernet card, 56k modem, everything is intact, nothing is broke, nothing "conflicts" because ive uninstalled (unplugged) every possible thing, and still get these errors.

help, please.

Edit: the hard drives still get the errors if they are on standalone (no other drives installed)
December 30, 2003, 11:23 PM
Thing
Change out the memory with some from the "good" computer and see if that fixes it.
December 31, 2003, 12:00 AM
Stealth
Try backing up any relevant data on the OS drive and doing a clean install/reformat of Windows, preferably XP or 2K on it?
December 31, 2003, 12:43 AM
MesiaH
Sorry guys, but those are not the answers I'm looking for, like I said, I've tried everything I can think of, Anybody else have any insight on this matter?
January 7, 2004, 7:52 PM
Thing
You never said that "you tried everything you can think of". Even if you did say it, how are we supposed to know what those things are unless you tell us. My mind reading skills suck! Did you try to change the memory with known good memory?
Have you tried moving the memory to different slots?
Have you tried changing the processor with a known good processor?
How many milligrams of caffeine did you ingest before starting on this project? You may need to up your dosage.
January 7, 2004, 8:20 PM
Adron
Also try taking everything apart and putting it back together.
January 7, 2004, 10:06 PM
MesiaH
I have taken everything apart, and completely rebuilt it. Every thing in it works, this i know for sure because i tested it on other computers. my ram is good, hard drive is good, processor is fine, bios is ok, all irq's are stable, i cant find any thing wrong with it! :(
January 7, 2004, 10:08 PM
Adron
Try swapping the motherboard. Maybe it's had some ESD damage or something.
January 7, 2004, 10:10 PM
MesiaH
I don't have another motherboard that supports my processor, all my other motherboards are older and worse, i have a 200mhz mmx processor, and god knows what motherboards were like back then, but i also have an motherboard that came in this gateway computer i got from a friend, has a celeron processor, but since i cant get that running no matter what i do, i know nothing about it, so im pretty much stuck with one.

i have taken out the hard drive and installed an operating system on another computer, and have tested it, nothing wrong whatsoever, but when i plug it into the computer at hand, i get these IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL evil blue screen errors, and explorer and kernel crashes, i have no clue..
January 7, 2004, 11:30 PM

Search