Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Linux Antivirus

AuthorMessageTime
iago
I need antivirus software for a Linux computer. Anybody know what works well? Also, preferably freeware?
December 29, 2003, 11:34 PM
iago
Bitdefender - http://www.bitdefender.com - sounds pretty good. Anybody ever used that?
December 30, 2003, 2:57 AM
Thing
WTF? You never used AV on your Winders machine why start now?
December 30, 2003, 3:23 AM
iago
[quote author=Thing link=board=2;threadid=4501;start=0#msg37585 date=1072754605]
WTF? You never used AV on your Winders machine why start now?
[/quote]

I'm going to be using my laptop at work,and they require me to get AV. I know it's dumb, but rules are rules.
December 30, 2003, 5:18 AM
iago
To be specific,

[quote]Hi Ron, Sure you can bring in your laptop. We need to make sure that you are legally using the software that you have installed, and you have anti-virus software.
We can supply the license for Symantec AV for Windows XP. Take care, /Grant
[/quote]

The legally part isn't an issue since I'm going to be using Linux (plus, my windows is licenced by the school for home/academic use, but I just won't be using that at work so I doubt they'll care).
December 30, 2003, 7:43 AM
Hostile
They might care, and its not worth risking. Tell them the exact same thing and make sure its ok, they have rules for a reason and will most likely stick close to them. Finally, I've used McAfee VirusScan for Unix before (which also works for more recent linux kernals/freebsd/solaris) and that works good... I don't think it is free though.
December 30, 2003, 9:41 AM
iago
[quote author=Hostile link=board=2;threadid=4501;start=0#msg37602 date=1072777307]
They might care, and its not worth risking. Tell them the exact same thing and make sure its ok, they have rules for a reason and will most likely stick close to them.
[/quote]

I did.

My reply:
[quote]Well, I'm currently downloading Slackware Linux 9.1, which I'll be planning on using for work-related purposes. The windows xp I'm using is licenced through the university's msdn thing, which doesn't cover use for business purposes, so I won't be able to use that, which isn't really a problem. The reason I set up the dual-boot was to use it for work, anyway.

I'll stick with using a free version of Linux with freeware software. I'm going to find out right now about virus scanners for that platform.

-Ron
[/quote]

and his reply:
[quote]OK Thanks /Grant[/quote]

So that part's good, and McAfee would be great, except that, like I said, I need freeware :)
December 30, 2003, 9:54 AM
vile
Hehe, good luck even getting a virus for Linux. There aren't too many out there.
December 31, 2003, 10:16 PM
Thing
I don't think he wants a virus, vile.

Iago, what will it matter if it's good or not. You'll probably have it disabled anyway so you can utilize that precious memory for something more worthwhile, such as a nifty background image. :)

http://www.f-prot.com/download/download_fplinux_personal.html
December 31, 2003, 11:13 PM
iago
[quote author=vile link=board=2;threadid=4501;start=0#msg37815 date=1072908983]
Hehe, good luck even getting a virus for Linux. There aren't too many out there.
[/quote]
That's not the point at all!

Thing - thanks a bunch! Now I just have to get it to recognize my NIC, and life's good :)
December 31, 2003, 11:44 PM

Search