Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Memory Tweak ?

AuthorMessageTime
o.OV
If this really does help a bot work faster then maybe it could ban those proxy loaded floodbots.

I could find nothing on google about DCM.
December 25, 2003, 3:33 PM
DaRk-FeAnOr
[quote]I heard about a memory tweak somehow related to the abreviation "DCM".
If this really does help a bot work faster then maybe it could ban those proxy loaded floodbots.
Does anyone know how DCM works and how to use it?[/quote]

Less RAM usage does not mean that your program will run faster. It is generally the opposite. More RAM usage = Faster. I have never heard about DCM, but the best way to try and ban floodbots would be to make your algorithms subtler/faster/better. There have been many posts on the forum about help in banning floodbots. Check out this one if you have any other questions about it:
https://davnit.net/bnet/vL/phpbbs/index.php?board=17;action=display;threadid=3231;start=msg25644#msg25644
December 25, 2003, 4:22 PM
Yoni
What is this thread about?

[quote author=DaRk-FeAnOr link=board=17;threadid=4444;start=0#msg37085 date=1072369364]
Less RAM usage does not mean that your program will run faster. It is generally the opposite. More RAM usage = Faster.[/quote]

It is true that in computer science, there are sometimes algorithms which sacrifice memory to gain speed. But saying this is a general rule is bad. If a program is meant to be fast, its speed will probably be directly proportional to the expertise of the programmer rather than to its memory usage, which may vary as a side effect.
December 25, 2003, 4:34 PM
o.OV
[quote author=DaRk-FeAnOr link=board=17;threadid=4444;start=0#msg37085 date=1072369364]

Less RAM usage does not mean that your program will run faster. It is generally the opposite. More RAM usage = Faster. I have never heard about DCM, but the best way to try and ban floodbots would be to make your algorithms subtler/faster/better. There have been many posts on the forum about help in banning floodbots. Check out this one if you have any other questions about it:
https://davnit.net/bnet/vL/phpbbs/index.php?board=17;action=display;threadid=3231;start=msg25644#msg25644
[/quote]

Thanks for the link. I have read that post before but failed to notice Stealth's mention of memory priority.

[quote]Stealth: I have also introduced code to change the RAM priority of the program during EFP to High, which should help on slower or low-memory machines. Normal priority is restored once the feature is turned off.[/quote]
December 25, 2003, 4:43 PM
Skywing
[quote author=o.OV link=board=17;threadid=4444;start=0#msg37089 date=1072370631]

[/quote]

Thanks for the link. I have read that post before but failed to notice Stealth's mention of memory priority.

[quote]Stealth: I have also introduced code to change the RAM priority of the program during EFP to High, which should help on slower or low-memory machines. Normal priority is restored once the feature is turned off.[/quote]
[/quote]
I have no idea what "RAM priority" is.
December 25, 2003, 5:01 PM
Maddox
[quote author=Skywing link=board=17;threadid=4444;start=0#msg37091 date=1072371704]
[quote author=o.OV link=board=17;threadid=4444;start=0#msg37089 date=1072370631]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I have no idea what "RAM priority" is.
[/quote]

I think he means process priority.
December 25, 2003, 5:10 PM
DaRk-FeAnOr
[quote author=Yoni link=board=17;threadid=4444;start=0#msg37087 date=1072370080]
What is this thread about?

Less RAM usage does not mean that your program will run faster. It is generally the opposite. More RAM usage = Faster.[/quote]

It is true that in computer science, there are sometimes algorithms which sacrifice memory to gain speed. But saying this is a general rule is bad. If a program is meant to be fast, its speed will probably be directly proportional to the expertise of the programmer rather than to its memory usage, which may vary as a side effect.
[/quote]
I was just trying to clear up "o.OV"'s misconception that when your program uses less RAM, the program runs faster, which is obviously not the case.
December 25, 2003, 5:18 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Maddox link=board=17;threadid=4444;start=0#msg37094 date=1072372201]
I think he means process priority.
[/quote]
Ah. That doesn't sound like such a great idea. For instance, lots of CD-burning programs set themselves at high priority to help protect against a buffer underrun; I wouldn't want a B.net bot coastering my CDs. In any case, this introduces a fairly nasty DoS problem if some flaw in the bot makes it possible to remotely induce lots of cpu usage; consider that the shell runs at normal priority, by default, which would make it possible for the bot to make the shell unresponsive. If cpu usage is such a problem, it would probably be best to fix the slow algorithm.
December 25, 2003, 9:24 PM
hismajesty
[quote author=o.OV link=board=17;threadid=4444;start=0#msg37076 date=1072366380]
[/quote]

If a floodbot was connected via a proxy, wouldn't it be slower as opposed to a floodbot connecting directly to battle.net?

[edit]Typo[/edit]

December 25, 2003, 9:27 PM
Skywing
[quote author=hismajesty link=board=17;threadid=4444;start=0#msg37117 date=1072387648]
[quote author=o.OV link=board=17;threadid=4444;start=0#msg37076 date=1072366380]
[/quote]

If a floodbot was connected via a proxy, wouldn't it be slower as opposed to a floodbot connecting directly to battle.net?

[edit]Typo[/edit]

[/quote]
As has been stated so many times now, it is possible to construct a flood attack that does makes response times irrelevant with respect to stopping it.
December 25, 2003, 10:26 PM
o.OV
thanks for your input on this matter.
flooders on proxies are a bit slower.
i heard from some such as Gangz that they were able to ban a small number that were loaded on proxies.
i would try it for myself but i am on a 56k modem.
though one ban may not be something to rejoice about.
the flooder that is flooding may be reusing a single key over and over.
its worth a shot.
December 26, 2003, 1:07 PM
iago
[quote author=o.OV link=board=17;threadid=4444;start=0#msg37159 date=1072444045]
thanks for your input on this matter.
flooders on proxies are a bit slower.
i heard from some such as Gangz that they were able to ban a small number that were loaded on proxies.
i would try it for myself but i am on a 56k modem.
though one ban may not be something to rejoice about.
the flooder that is flooding may be reusing a single key over and over.
its worth a shot.
[/quote]

Although this has been said again and again, if it can be banned then it's a poorly written floodbot. A good floodbot can join/leave a channel in exactly 0 seconds, or that's the way it seems to the client.
December 26, 2003, 2:30 PM

Search