Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Java Programming | RMI

AuthorMessageTime
iago
Just wondering what people can tell me about RMI. Basically, how it implemented and what are the security concerns? I don't want a big long answer, but I'm going to be using it later, and I would like to know how it works, a little.

Thanks!
-iago
December 22, 2003, 11:40 PM
St0rm.iD
TRMI makes life much, much easier.

http://trmi.sf.net/
December 23, 2003, 12:50 AM
Hostile
As usual Storm digs up more third party toys which no one ever wants to bother with :P RMI, as you may know stands for Remote Method Invocation, and is basically a Java version of RPC (Remote Procedure Call, of course). RMI also has the capability to send over one object with the request. For instance, I'm currently running an RMI server from WebLogic (My Application Server) to Oracle (My Database), in which anytime a request made its goes through RMI to communicate with each other. :P
December 23, 2003, 5:20 AM
St0rm.iD
Are you serious...

RMI is a total bitch to work with. TRMI is completely transparent; no need to implement any interface, no need to use that god-forsaken rmic any more!

Should probably pay attention to my next lesson, hostile.
December 23, 2003, 4:44 PM
iago
The problem here is that I'm not writing RMI stuff, I'm going to be maintaining and expanding it. Although I haven't looked at those links yet, or the jsp stuff, I will this coming week. I'm going to get to know all this java stuff very well very fast :)
December 23, 2003, 11:28 PM
Hostile
I didn't say it wasn't useful, just said that mainly since you almost always automatically respond with third party solutions for you responces, not a bad thing just my comment. Either way... Iago, I'm not sure what you wanted to know at the time I wrote it. Thats just a breif explanation on what it is (hopefully helpful) and if you're not going to be writing anything with it them most likely besides knowing what it is and what it is used for most RMI solutions are already made for programs like my example (Oracle and WebLogic). Not sure what else you're looking for.
December 24, 2003, 2:55 AM
iago
Once I get a chance to look through this stuff, I'll let you know :)

What I'm doing involves file transfer. From what I've seen, so far, it calls a function with a byte[] and char* to upload a file to a remote location. Does it make sense to use RMI for this?

[edit] I should also say that they only allow a-z, A-Z, ., -, and _.
December 24, 2003, 3:42 AM
St0rm.iD
Well...why waste time using something bad when something is already written for you, no hassle?
December 24, 2003, 4:20 PM
iago
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=34;threadid=4400;start=0#msg36999 date=1072282846]
Well...why waste time using something bad when something is already written for you, no hassle?
[/quote]

Because, like I said, I didn't write the code, I just have to know how it works?
December 24, 2003, 9:29 PM

Search