Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | New to this - eager to learn

AuthorMessageTime
Zyroth
Hi Guys,

I am completely new to anything that's about Network Communication. Here's what I've done:

- PHP Scripting
- Delphi Low Level Applications
- Computer Science in my final exams... so I know basics like Recursion, Sort Algorithm, Micro Programming, Data Structures, etc.

Here's what I want to do:

Write a Battle.Net Bot in Python with help of the "Twisted Matrix" which is able to run on my clan's dedicated Debian Server and is able to do the following:

- Moderate/Operate the Channel "clan xxx" (BG3 can do this, so can I =) )
- Transfer Chat from Battle.net to IRC and back

I am completely aware of the fact, that this might be the work of half a year, but I am eager to learn. ;)

Anyone has got an advice, where and how I can start? I read through some of the documents at the Bot-Dev Site, but did not find something like a "Hello World" Tutorial...

Thx, Zyr
December 22, 2003, 1:15 PM
Spht
[quote author=Zyroth link=board=17;threadid=4394;start=0#msg36737 date=1072098906]
I read through some of the documents at the Bot-Dev Site, but did not find something like a "Hello World" Tutorial...
[/quote]

The bot development web site wasn't meant to be a walk-through on how to write a bot. It's an archive of resources from the old bot development forums which would be useful for developers.
December 22, 2003, 3:31 PM
Grok
[quote author=Zyroth link=board=17;threadid=4394;start=0#msg36737 date=1072098906]Anyone has got an advice, where and how I can start? I read through some of the documents at the Bot-Dev Site, but did not find something like a "Hello World" Tutorial...

Thx, Zyr
[/quote]

A long time ago (~3 years), I posted a series of articles on how to write a VB Chat bot. It was effectively a "Hello, World" for bots that got you up and running. I believe BnetDocs or the BotDev site might have a link to that forum article.
December 22, 2003, 3:44 PM
UserLoser.
[quote author=Grok link=board=17;threadid=4394;start=0#msg36746 date=1072107884]
[quote author=Zyroth link=board=17;threadid=4394;start=0#msg36737 date=1072098906]Anyone has got an advice, where and how I can start? I read through some of the documents at the Bot-Dev Site, but did not find something like a "Hello World" Tutorial...

Thx, Zyr
[/quote]

A long time ago (~3 years), I posted a series of articles on how to write a VB Chat bot. It was effectively a "Hello, World" for bots that got you up and running. I believe BnetDocs or the BotDev site might have a link to that forum article.
[/quote]

Here it is
December 22, 2003, 4:11 PM
Kp
[quote author=Zyroth link=board=17;threadid=4394;start=0#msg36737 date=1072098906]
I am completely new to anything that's about Network Communication. Here's what I've done:

- PHP Scripting
- Delphi Low Level Applications
- Computer Science in my final exams... so I know basics like Recursion, Sort Algorithm, Micro Programming, Data Structures, etc.[/quote]

If you haven't already, I would recommend getting at least a basic grounding in either C or VB, as that's what most of the code samples seem to get written in. The C code is (IMO) often better, but the VB code is more plentiful (on account of more VB newbies begging for help than C newbies, I think).
December 22, 2003, 5:15 PM
Grok
Additionally, Lord`Bacca modified and released an enhanced GreetBot for C++ programmers. It is documented pretty well, and should be the newb C++ bot programmer's starting place.
December 22, 2003, 5:19 PM
Zyroth
[quote]The bot development web site wasn't meant to be a walk-through on how to write a bot. It's an archive of resources from the old bot development forums which would be useful for developers.
[/quote]

Hm, anyways I would find such a thing quite helpful. If I will (one day :)) succeed with Battle.Net-Bot-Programming, I may contribute one.

All the others: Thx very much!
December 22, 2003, 6:02 PM
MrRaza
[quote author=UserLoser. link=board=17;threadid=4394;start=0#msg36748 date=1072109461]
[quote author=Grok link=board=17;threadid=4394;start=0#msg36746 date=1072107884]

Thx, Zyr
[/quote]

[/quote]

Here it is
[/quote]

You should note that that article by Grok is "incomplete" to an extent. But for an almost full, featured bot, you can download this Visual Basic source of a chat bot created by our good friend Grok aswell. Here is the link http://www.valhallalegends.com/pub/vbchat.zip
December 23, 2003, 3:44 PM
St0rm.iD
Python, eh.

I can help you out immensley in that regard...no one else here uses Python except me :)
December 24, 2003, 4:36 PM
Etheran
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=17;threadid=4394;start=0#msg37005 date=1072283793]
Python, eh.

I can help you out immensley in that regard...no one else here uses Python except me :)
[/quote]Don't be too sure about that.
December 24, 2003, 7:20 PM
St0rm.iD
Oh I am sure.
December 26, 2003, 8:25 PM

Search