Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Thing-O-Rama ™ | Death

AuthorMessageTime
Thing
My mother-in-law died yesterday.
The thing that is most notable is the relationsip my wife had with her. For years before we were married and for a long time after, my wife despised her mother. It wasn't until 3 years ago that they patched their relationship and became closer. I am very glad that they did because it has made her passing much easier. I would not want to see my wife strung out on guilt by having her mother die with that unfinished business.

Her death was sudden and unexpected. Call your mother now and tell her that you love her.
December 21, 2003, 4:02 PM
Grok
Fortunately I have a good relationship with my mother. My dad left us after the last kid finished school, and I've only spoken with him a few dozen times since then. The last time was when his mother died, I called to offer my condolences. Nothing really to patch up there. Most of our growing up he was off bopping his girlfriend, instead of doing stuff with us.
December 21, 2003, 7:17 PM
Thing
My biological father left us when I was three. Recently, he contacted my mother to get information on how to contact me. When she asked if I wanted her to tell him, I politely declined. I suspect that he sees his own mortality and is trying to right some wrong and clear his conscience. I have never spoken to him and can see no productive reason to start now.

He will die.
I will have never spoken to him.
I will not feel guilty.
The end.
December 21, 2003, 10:56 PM
iago
Although I live with my mom, I have a decent relationship with both parents. I try to, anyway.
December 21, 2003, 11:38 PM
Grok
[quote author=Thing link=board=35;threadid=4379;start=0#msg36649 date=1072047375]
My biological father left us when I was three. Recently, he contacted my mother to get information on how to contact me. When she asked if I wanted her to tell him, I politely declined. I suspect that he sees his own mortality and is trying to right some wrong and clear his conscience. I have never spoken to him and can see no productive reason to start now.

He will die.
I will have never spoken to him.
I will not feel guilty.
The end.
[/quote]

That's probably best. Since you were 3 you have no way of knowing why he left, except what your mother told you. He could have been "shut out" by your mother, and for your sakes (kids) stayed away to avoid a big confrontation. Plenty of things that only he and your mother know, but that doesn't need to change. Let sleeping dogs lie.
December 22, 2003, 12:04 AM
iago
That's a good point. My stepsister just got divorced, she's been married for a year and has no kids. I think it's best to do this early than to live unhappy for years, bring up kids in an unhappy home, and then get divorced.
December 22, 2003, 8:10 AM
Hostile
Similar situation here, My father is a total drunk :P My mother left him when I was about 3 and I still see him now and then but I don't like him. He mainly only calls when he wants something and he knows I don't like him. My sister is a bit closer with him and despite being totally incapable of rational thought hes not a bad guy, just an utter embarassment thats too annoying to deal with. Anyways my mother has always been there for me, shes great and we get along fantastically. I've also had a step-father for about 11 years and hes been around for even longer then that, I love him too probably because I hold respect and like/love close in similarity. Hes always been there and provided me with anything I -needed- growing up giving me good chances which I *cough* almost always took. :P
December 22, 2003, 6:20 PM
Mitosis
Well when I was three years old, my older brother TJ (he was seven at the time) had cancer since he was born. He pasted away when he was seven. It broke my family apart. My parents seperated for a while but they have been back together for like 5 years. But its really sad, loosing someone in your family. Im just glad I got my other brother and both my parents right now.
January 2, 2004, 3:08 AM
warz
My mom always loved her job in the traveling circus, as the cannonball lady. My dad always had some weird facination in foreign countries. So, after they decided they weren't really meant for eachother (after having 3 kids) they broke up. I went on to live with the family across the street from me, which I didn't, and still don't really know. I still talk to my dad via post card some times, and my mom via smoke signals on really clear, calm, cloudless nights. Sometimes I wonder what life would have been like if my mom would have just agreed and joined the european female cannon ballist team, and toured europe with my dad. Oh well, I'm not one to dwell on the past.

Call your mom and tell her you love her.
January 2, 2004, 7:33 AM
iago
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=35;threadid=4379;start=0#msg37993 date=1073012926]
Well when I was three years old, my older brother TJ (he was seven at the time) had cancer since he was born. He pasted away when he was seven. It broke my family apart. My parents seperated for a while but they have been back together for like 5 years. But its really sad, loosing someone in your family. Im just glad I got my other brother and both my parents right now.
[/quote]
pasted away? Why didn't they just unstick him?

Warz - lol, jerk :P
January 2, 2004, 10:54 AM
Mitosis
[quote author=iago link=board=35;threadid=4379;start=0#msg38015 date=1073040873]
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=35;threadid=4379;start=0#msg37993 date=1073012926]
[/quote]

[/quote]
The cancer had spread all throughout his body. There was nothing the doctors could do.
January 2, 2004, 12:58 PM
iago
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=35;threadid=4379;start=0#msg38025 date=1073048284]
[quote author=iago link=board=35;threadid=4379;start=0#msg38015 date=1073040873]
[/quote]

[/quote]
The cancer had spread all throughout his body. There was nothing the doctors could do.
[/quote]

pasted
January 2, 2004, 1:03 PM

Search