Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Version Bytes

AuthorMessageTime
LoRd
Is there any way to retrieve the current version byte from Battle.net after a patch?
December 20, 2003, 10:27 PM
UserLoser.
No, the only way would to be search the game's files that were extracted from the new MPQ after a new patch
December 20, 2003, 10:31 PM
iago
You can [ugh, I hate myself for saying this] use BNLS's BNLS_REQUESTVERSIONBYTE
December 20, 2003, 10:51 PM
UserLoser.
Actually what i have my client do is automatically increment the version byte by 1 (saved to registry). Then it automatically downloads the MPQ - but that's pretty much useless :P Then if the user adds the new game files for the patch to where they should be, and the user tries to connect to bot; if the bot gets unrecognized version, it adds 1, and does this process over and over to try and guess the version byte a few times - Good enough for me ;D
December 20, 2003, 10:56 PM
DaRk-FeAnOr
Packet log the client and manual find it
December 20, 2003, 11:36 PM
DarkMinion
Unless you're doing a client-side version check, why download the MPQ? DMBot 3.0.5 auto-downloaded the MPQ's, but only because it did all the version check stuff client side...
December 20, 2003, 11:57 PM
Skywing
[quote author=UserLoser. link=board=17;threadid=4370;start=0#msg36525 date=1071961003]
Actually what i have my client do is automatically increment the version byte by 1 (saved to registry). Then it automatically downloads the MPQ - but that's pretty much useless :P Then if the user adds the new game files for the patch to where they should be, and the user tries to connect to bot; if the bot gets unrecognized version, it adds 1, and does this process over and over to try and guess the version byte a few times - Good enough for me ;D
[/quote]
You should check the previous version code first before incrementing, otherwise your program won't handle patches that don't change the minor version number (e.g. 1.13a -> 1.13b). In any case, I don't much see the use for this if you aren't going to automatically run the patches.
December 21, 2003, 7:17 PM
UserLoser.
[quote author=Skywing link=board=17;threadid=4370;start=0#msg36629 date=1072034258]
[quote author=UserLoser. link=board=17;threadid=4370;start=0#msg36525 date=1071961003]
[/quote]
You should check the previous version code first before incrementing, otherwise your program won't handle patches that don't change the minor version number (e.g. 1.13a -> 1.13b). In any case, I don't much see the use for this if you aren't going to automatically run the patches.
[/quote]

Well for that case that was War3, where the bot uses BNLS - Otherwise, oh well. Maybe somehow i can figure something else out

Edit: What you said about the minor version number gave me an idea. Looking at the exe's version minor matches the version byte, but only for d2/w3 - maybe all future patches, the exe minor version will be the version byte

Best i can do without knowing how to extract the mpqs or whatever you do~
December 21, 2003, 7:22 PM
Skywing
[quote author=UserLoser. link=board=17;threadid=4370;start=0#msg36631 date=1072034569]
Well for that case that was War3, where the bot uses BNLS - Otherwise, oh well. Maybe somehow i can figure something else out
[/quote]Quite a few other games have had these kinds of patches, such as Starcraft / Brood War and Diablo II / Lord of Destruction.
December 21, 2003, 7:25 PM

Search