Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Gaming Discussion | Gamers Own their Items

AuthorMessageTime
Grok
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/fun.games/12/19/china.gamer.reut/index.html

Gamer sues the game host and wins his stuff back.

I wonder if someone can win such a suit in the United States, and what affect it will have on hosts, free or fee.
December 19, 2003, 5:28 PM
Hostile
Someone could probably get away with it on an MMORPG, but I don't think any of the companies are dumb enough to actually let it go to court, and depending on Terms Of Service agreements, that might cover them anyways~. Sure, yes blizzard probably could've been sued hundreds of times over for this, but what? This guy was just made, either that or lawyers are really cheap in China. Bottom line: Theres no profit here to be made.

Speaking of lawsuits, Real sucks. I could've sued them a couple years ago.
December 19, 2003, 6:17 PM
j0k3r
I don't quite think that would work here.

Gaming companies specify (it's a guess here) that everything in game is THEIR property. When you try to post items on ebay and don't specify that it's not yours, the companie's (diablo 2, star wars galaxies) representatives will shut down your auction.
December 19, 2003, 6:20 PM
Hitmen
Blizzard has things like this covered perfectly in their ToU. Some companies are dumb though.
December 19, 2003, 11:00 PM
iago
Don't forget, this guy spent 10,000 yuan (I hadn't even heard of yuan till today, but that's another story) on pay-as-you-go cards to accululate the stuff. That's the money he wanted back, not money for the items themselves.
December 20, 2003, 4:12 AM

Search