Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Fun Forum™ | Verisign Sitefinder vs SpyBot

AuthorMessageTime
Thing
Today I was at a site cleaning off their workstations because the employees were complaining about them being slow. During a SpyBot sweep, I saw this and had to chuckle.

sitefinder.verisign.com = auto.search.msn.com ??
December 17, 2003, 11:39 PM
Adron
Hmm? Someone wanted to redirect both of those?
December 18, 2003, 1:04 AM
hismajesty
I see they have AOL running, assuming it's the new version you could always run that computer fix (hopefully it will delete itself too) :P
December 18, 2003, 1:06 AM
Skywing
[quote author=hismajesty link=board=4;threadid=4316;start=0#msg36097 date=1071709581]
I see they have AOL running, assuming it's the new version you could always run that computer fix (hopefully it will delete itself too) :P
[/quote]
Last time I checked, deleting AOL trashed Winsock.
December 18, 2003, 2:37 AM
iago
You let them use windows xp? :)

I personally mapped both of those to google's ip. It's too bad I can't change the search information to automatically do the search, but that takes more effort than I'm willing to spend (namely, searching these forums till I find where somebody, probably grok, posted how to do that)
December 18, 2003, 12:34 PM
Thing
[quote]You let them use windows xp?[/quote]
Heck Yea!
That is a 6 machine peer to peer network that is close to my office. I let them use, do, break anything they want. Two of the women that work there are smoking hot so I don't mind going to visit them and fix their crappy machines. :P
December 18, 2003, 1:22 PM
Grok
[quote author=Skywing link=board=4;threadid=4316;start=0#msg36123 date=1071715067]
[quote author=hismajesty link=board=4;threadid=4316;start=0#msg36097 date=1071709581]
[/quote]
Last time I checked, deleting AOL trashed Winsock.
[/quote]

Installing AOL trashes Winsock. Uninstalling simply doesn't fix. Calling AOL technical support doesn't help either because they don't support you once you remove their software. They will tell you that if you reinstall AOL, it will fix the problem.
December 18, 2003, 1:24 PM
CupHead
Exactly how does AOL supposedly trash Winsock? I've installed/uninstalled/used with broadband and never had a problem with it or Windows before or afterwards.
December 18, 2003, 7:35 PM
Grok
I'd tell you but I'm not going to install AOL to find out.

The fix was to uninstall networking and reinstall it from the Win2000 CD.

Hmm, you probably didn't use it with Win2000, then try to uninstall and use a non-AOL ISP.
December 18, 2003, 8:40 PM
Stealth
And when Winsock gets trashed, give it a cold shower the next morning with this unbelievable little program:

http://members.shaw.ca/techcd/VB_Projects/WinsockFix.zip

by a group called "Option^Explicit Software Solutions". Or more accurately, a guy calling himself that. (http://members.shaw.ca/techcd/)
December 19, 2003, 3:25 AM
iago
Yeah, if winsock's broken, go there and download that program to fix it!

And if your phone is disconnected or broken, call the phone company at 1-800.....
December 19, 2003, 12:34 PM
CrAz3D
Quite clever iago, but one could still do that if they have a cell phone or they could ask to borrow a telephone, which I'm betting they coul'd do the same with their computer. That is, have someone else download it for them then transfer it to their computer via some sort of disc.
December 19, 2003, 3:36 PM

Search