Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | Sound Card Woes

AuthorMessageTime
K
The other night I was running windows update, and noticed that there was an audio driver listed on there. Now normally I don't download drivers from windowsupdate, but I had a lapse in judgement and went for it. I checked it, started the downloading, and went to bed. This morning, the installation for the driver had hung at 99% and the browser window was frozen. I killed it, and tried to play an audio file. No sound. I head to device manager. Uhoh, I think -- it was trying to install a driver for my on board sound, which conflicted with my SB Live! Now, anything I try to do in device manager pertaining to my SB Live! or onboard MMC driver results in a freeze. I can't disable, roll back, or update. I tried installing the creative drivers -- it says I don't have a creative card installed.

I'm at the end of my rope here. Any suggestions are welcome.
December 15, 2003, 8:15 PM
Skywing
[quote author=K link=board=2;threadid=4259;start=0#msg35530 date=1071519315]
The other night I was running windows update, and noticed that there was an audio driver listed on there. Now normally I don't download drivers from windowsupdate, but I had a lapse in judgement and went for it. I checked it, started the downloading, and went to bed. This morning, the installation for the driver had hung at 99% and the browser window was frozen. I killed it, and tried to play an audio file. No sound. I head to device manager. Uhoh, I think -- it was trying to install a driver for my on board sound, which conflicted with my SB Live! Now, anything I try to do in device manager pertaining to my SB Live! or onboard MMC driver results in a freeze. I can't disable, roll back, or update. I tried installing the creative drivers -- it says I don't have a creative card installed.

I'm at the end of my rope here. Any suggestions are welcome.
[/quote]
Assuming you haven't rebooted since this, restart with the last known good configuration.
December 15, 2003, 8:48 PM
j0k3r
I head to device manager. Uhoh, I think -- it was trying to install a driver for my on board sound, which conflicted with my SB Live! Now, anything I try to do in device manager pertaining to my SB Live! or onboard MMC driver results in a freeze.[/quote]
[quote author=Skywing link=board=2;threadid=4259;start=0#msg35537 date=1071521301]
Assuming you haven't rebooted since this, restart with the last known good configuration.
[/quote]

Don't you have to restart when your computer freezes?
December 15, 2003, 9:38 PM
K
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=4259;start=0#msg35550 date=1071524293]
I head to device manager. Uhoh, I think -- it was trying to install a driver for my on board sound, which conflicted with my SB Live! Now, anything I try to do in device manager pertaining to my SB Live! or onboard MMC driver results in a freeze.[/quote]
[quote author=Skywing link=board=2;threadid=4259;start=0#msg35537 date=1071521301]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Unfortunantly yes. I fixed it though -- apparently the driver update enabled the onboard audio in the BIOS. I went in and set it back to auto. All fixed.
December 15, 2003, 9:49 PM
Stealth
I don't believe Windows records it as a standard reboot if the system was not shut down through the Start menu.

K, is the onboard sound system still disabled in the BIOS?

[Edit] I was 19 seconds too late. :)
December 15, 2003, 9:49 PM
Skywing
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=4259;start=0#msg35550 date=1071524293]
[/quote]

[/quote]
He didn't specify whether the MMC snapin or the whole system froze.
December 15, 2003, 9:51 PM

Search