Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Fun Forum™ | Why does Windows crash so much more than linux?

AuthorMessageTime
Adron
[quote author=Mephisto link=board=2;threadid=4245;start=0#msg35402 date=1071457364]
My friend and I had come up with an idea that perhaps the reason why Windows crashes more than Linux is that it runs off one file, Explorer.exe. So when Explorer gets mad and has some complications, your whole computer does and results in a crash. Because Linux runs off of several files, when one gets complications, your whole program doesn't end up crashing as Windows would. Also, this could be why Linux gets better uptimes because it doesn't rely on just one file like Windows does. Windows may just go off of one file since they want to keep their source closed, and managing one file is just easier than multiple. Maybe Linux runs faster because it has multiple files handling data and processing it. My friend and I don't really have a lot of evidence backing up this theory, and we're not 100% sure if Linux even does run off of multiple files, but if it's true, perhaps this why? Dunno... what do you guys think?
[/quote]
December 15, 2003, 3:46 AM

Search