Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | The new computer I ALREADY got! hehe

AuthorMessageTime
Hostile
I figured since everyone else was doing it, I might as well put all of you in your place. I'm even adding quote lines on each line so you may comment for each component. This is the final price after rebates/discounts/tax/2dayshipping. Bring it on! :P

[quote]
My Desktop - $4,165.42
[/quote]

[quote]
1 Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 3.2GHz Extreme Edition, 800MHz FSB, Socket 478 Retail
[/quote]

[quote]
1 Asus P4C800-E Deluxe i875P P4 800FSB Skt478 DDR ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Gigabit LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail
[/quote]

[quote]
2 Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPRO 1GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 Ultra Low Latency Proseries Memory w/Heat Spreader Retail
[/quote]

[quote]
1 ATI Radeon 9800 XT AGP 8X 256MB DDR Video Card w/TV-Out & DVI Retail
[/quote]

[quote]
2 Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB Serial ATA 10,000RPM Hard Drive w/8MB Buffer and Serial ATA Signal Cable Bundle
[/quote]

[quote]
1 Plextor PX708A Internal DVD±R/RW & CD-R/RW Drive (Black) Retail
[/quote]

[quote]
1 Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro External Sound Card Retail
[/quote]

[quote]
1 CHIEFTEC ATX Middle Tower Case Silver w/ Side Panel Window - Model BX-03B-SL-B - OEM
[/quote]

[quote]
1 ENERMAX Noisetaker Series EG475P-VE-SFMA. 470W Power supply.
[/quote]

[quote]
4 Enermax Adjustable Speed Blue 80mm Case fan,Model:UC-8FAB-B,Retail.
[/quote]

[quote]
2 Enermax Adjustable Speed 92mm Cooling fan,Model:UC-9FAB-B,Retail.
[/quote]

[quote]
1 ENERMAX Aluminum UC-A5FATR2 (SILVER) Multifunction Transfer Panel.
[/quote]

[quote]
1 SAMSUNG SFD321B/LBL1 Black 1.44MB 3.5inch Floppy Disk Drive, OEM
[/quote]

[quote]
1 ROUND, 10-Inch, Floppy drive cable. Booted, 2-Connector. BLACK.
[/quote]

[quote]
1 LITE-ON BLACK 16X DVD ROM Drive, Model XJ-HD166/XJ-HD 165H, OEM
[/quote]

[quote]
1 ZIPPY EL-715 Electron luminescent Keyboard / EL Keyboard --RETAIL.
[/quote]

[quote]
1 Logitech MX500 Optical Mouse -USB/PS2 RETAIL
[/quote]

[quote]
1 Logitech Z-680 5.1 Metallic Silver Speaker 500Watt THX Certified with Dolby Digital - RETAIL
[/quote]

[quote]
1 Dell 20.1" 2001FP Dell Ultrasharp Digital Flat Panel Display
[/quote]
December 12, 2003, 4:09 AM
warz
Why on earth spend that much money? Budget, son, budget!
December 12, 2003, 4:14 AM
Hitmen
[quote author=Hostile link=board=2;threadid=4185;start=0#msg34881 date=1071202155]
[quote]
1 Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 3.2GHz Extreme Edition, 800MHz FSB, Socket 478 Retail
[/quote]
[/quote]
Yuck, Athlon64 would seem like more bang for your buck, but it doesn't look like you have a budget here :P
December 12, 2003, 4:41 AM
Hostile
1: Why shouldn't I spend that much?
2: The only things I could've done better on were getting WD740GD HD's which are the 10000rpm 74GB SATA hds that are also like $300 a peice and I don't really need the space on this system, have plenty of space on other systems. Could have gotten the Creative Gigaworks 7.1 700Watt speakers which are like $500 but are a bit overdoing on all the speakers + wouldnt have room for the addition 2 in the back and finally ya Im sure I couldve blown alot of a case and super high wattage PSU which is pointless.
3: I'm not an AMD guy, for many many many reasons which many people could here would agree apon. :P Not to mention performance wise (and definitly heat/sound wise) it is much worse. The only reason these come close is due to the on board memory controller for very fast FSB in which I could overclock and out do anyways which I may do later on when I find something to actually challenge the system, and ha at the price. The Athlon 64 FX-51 which is the only comparible Athlon CPU is $775 USD.

That is the best LCD monitor available for gaming as well. I could probably out-do it with a nice 24" FD Trinitron sony monitor but sadly it would've been $1000 more. :'(
December 12, 2003, 5:54 AM
Hitmen
[quote author=Hostile link=board=2;threadid=4185;start=0#msg34893 date=1071208461]
1: Why shouldn't I spend that much?
[/quote]
I know!
Because you obviously have money, and we want it.
December 12, 2003, 5:56 AM
Hostile
[quote author=Hitmen link=board=2;threadid=4185;start=0#msg34895 date=1071208582]
I know!
Because you obviously have money, and we want it.
[/quote]

I have a job, I go through this with just about everyone. -Most- of you are relatively young and have very few responcibilities to the point where atleast 50% of the money you earn could probably be put to whatever you see fit. This is a choice you have to work with and understand... jobs are out there its just a matter of how badly you want it, no matter how old you are. (Suppose that only goes so far, most 13 yr olds might be getting screwed here but learn now, apply later.)
December 12, 2003, 5:59 AM
Soul Taker
Is that hyperthreaded? If not, why didn't you go all out that way?
December 12, 2003, 7:38 AM
warz
I have a job. I still wouldn't spend that much money on a computer.
December 12, 2003, 2:01 PM
Hostile
[quote author=Soul Taker link=board=2;threadid=4185;start=0#msg34904 date=1071214693]
Is that hyperthreaded? If not, why didn't you go all out that way?
[/quote]

For the Pentium 4 line, starting with the 3.06 533Mhz FSB CPU as well as all the 'C' class Pentium 4 cpus (2.4/2.6/2.8/3.0/3.2/3.2Ghz Extreme Edition 800Mhz FSB) have hyperthreading.

And warz, good for you.
December 12, 2003, 5:45 PM
Raven
I actually sort of agree with warz, in that I doubt I would ever spend that much money on a computer because it'd be sorta like overkill for me. However, everyone has their own passions, so to each their own. If this is what Hostile wants to spend his money on, it's his deal, and that's good for him. :)

BTW, this was also brought up earlier, but I almost must ask. If you were going all out like this, why didn't you get an Athlon 64 FX?
December 12, 2003, 8:29 PM
Hostile
Well you guys have to understand for one that I've never done this before, so I wanted too. For all I know this could be the only time in my life I ever get the best available system so why not do it? I always lived by the moto of buying a computer half as expensive, twice as often but oh well? I'm having a blast with it and its awesome, no convincing me otherwise will change that. Raven I appreciate your mature responce so I'll thuroughly answer your question. As I noted I don't like AMD processors. I think the Athlon 64 FX-51 is a great processor but mainly I don't trust AMD processors, they overheat and they're always worse. This is still true with teh FX-51 despite the reasons it comes close to the Intel 3.2Ghz extreme edition cpu (*repeats again* onboard memory controller so its FSB is as fast as the processor, giving you the ability to use very fast ram, and the higher L1 and L2 Caches) it still performs worse then the intel processor, and I atleast know this system will last me a while without having to put a huge heatsink in.
December 12, 2003, 9:35 PM
Raven
Personally, I use an old Athlon, one of the first generations. I've had it for years, and I'm happy to say that's I've never had any problems with it. But I guess everyone has their own tastes. I'll probably get a P4 or PM for the laptop I'll hopefully be getting over winterbreak. Quite frankly, I don't have a preference over what processor I use (even though I'd rather it be Intel or AMD), but I think a nice mobile Intel processor would be best and most cost-effective for now. I'd prefer an Athlon 64, but I just don't feel like shelling out alot for a custom-built system. :)
December 13, 2003, 3:56 AM
Hostile
Custom built systems are actually (when done properly, and assuming you build it yourself and shop around for the best price of each part) cheaper/better. This of course comes with the risk of lack of warrenty even though almost all parts come with a 1 year warrenty and some with a 3 year warrenty. There is no way I would do this for a laptop, I don't think its smart and this more then anything I beleive has benefits with accidental damage protection warrenties, due to the fact you're taking it just about everywhere with you. And yes Intel is the best way to go for laptops atm, AMD is way behind in that market.
December 13, 2003, 5:28 AM
Naem
LCD monitor for gaming????? CRT will always be > LCD for gaming. Have fun with dead pixels and a low refresh rate.
December 14, 2003, 6:58 PM
Hitmen
[quote author=Naem link=board=2;threadid=4185;start=0#msg35338 date=1071428329]
LCD monitor for gaming????? CRT will always be > LCD for gaming. Have fun with dead pixels and a low refresh rate.
[/quote]

He explained the monitor choice in another thread.
December 15, 2003, 11:50 PM
Hostile
Yeah, its actually quite excelent. For one as I noted it holds to its specs very well (and its specs are impressive) and in addition I got an excelent deal on it ($725). I actually have a 21" FD Trinitron monitor but unless its was like the $1500 21" .22mm dot pitch one from Sony or the 24" one from them I can honestly say I wouldn't prefere it over this. This monitor has excelent features (PIP mode which is awesome!) and LCD monitors are easier on your eyes, and look better at higher resolutions compared to the size of the monitor. Its working out great so far.
December 16, 2003, 12:22 AM
Skywing
My 15.4" LCD display (laptop) is *far* easier to read at 1680x1050 than my 17" CRT was at 1280x1024. It also has none of the blurring or refresh problems that you hear about when playing FPS games like Unreal Tournament or Ghost Recon.
December 16, 2003, 2:41 AM
j0k3r
Easy solution is to get a video card that can handle 2 monitors, 1 LCD 1 CRT then just use whichever one you like for gaming while leaving the other one. I can't wait for Christmas, getting an LCD to plug into the second monitor slot on my video card, then just gotta learn how to use both simultaneously.
December 16, 2003, 2:56 AM
Naem
When did I miss Hostile joining [vL]?
December 16, 2003, 6:17 AM
Skywing
[quote author=Naem link=board=2;threadid=4185;start=15#msg35671 date=1071555471]
When did I miss Hostile joining [vL]?
[/quote]
http://www.valhallalegends.com
December 16, 2003, 6:46 AM

Search