I got a laugh out of this advertisement:
[img]http://www.valhallalegends.com/iago/attack.png[/img]

"Oh crap! I'm attack myself through telnet, somehow!"
December 10, 2003, 12:56 AM
UserLoser.
sue them for false advertising
December 10, 2003, 1:20 AM
Naem
[quote author=UserLoser. link=board=4;threadid=4163;start=0#msg34542 date=1071019208]
sue them for false advertising
[/quote]

someone didn't read the fine print.
December 10, 2003, 1:24 AM
iago
"This is just an advertisement!"

But it's still funny that they would use an attack from localhost as an example :)
December 10, 2003, 1:25 AM
Hostile
ok, Its not the smartest thing, it would make more sense to make an IP that couldn't possibly exist -however- using an IP similar to that is somewhat the same tactic used in advertisements containing a telephone number. Legally, if they used your exact phone number you could potentially go after them, assuming it had your area code or was only displayed for your area code and thus could only be you. Its more of a common practice then you think :P On anouther note, companies never tend to want to use their own actual phone number, I know on parodies for some products (Mad TV) they actually had to get their own phone number just for that jokes and such, but none the less its understandable. :P
December 10, 2003, 2:04 AM
iago
That IS my exact ip. But it's not unique to me. hmm.
December 10, 2003, 2:13 AM
CrAz3D
[quote author=Hostile link=board=4;threadid=4163;start=0#msg34548 date=1071021871]
ok, Its not the smartest thing, it would make more sense to make an IP that couldn't possibly exist -however- using an IP similar to that is somewhat the same tactic used in advertisements containing a telephone number. Legally, if they used your exact phone number you could potentially go after them, assuming it had your area code or was only displayed for your area code and thus could only be you. Its more of a common practice then you think :P On anouther note, companies never tend to want to use their own actual phone number, I know on parodies for some products (Mad TV) they actually had to get their own phone number just for that jokes and such, but none the less its understandable. :P
[/quote]
I recall the phone # from "God" in Bruce Almighty being an actual phone #. My friend tried all of the area codes in the US & the only one he could find that worked was in Seattle. I heard the owner of that # sued the makers of the movie.

You'd think the internet advertiser could get sued for using someone's actual address.
December 10, 2003, 4:36 AM
Spht
[quote author=CrAz3D link=board=4;threadid=4163;start=0#msg34565 date=1071031011]
[quote author=Hostile link=board=4;threadid=4163;start=0#msg34548 date=1071021871]
[/quote]
I recall the phone # from "God" in Bruce Almighty being an actual phone #. My friend tried all of the area codes in the US & the only one he could find that worked was in Seattle. I heard the owner of that # sued the makers of the movie.

You'd think the internet advertiser could get sued for using someone's actual address.
[/quote]

More information here:
http://atlanta.about.com/cs/artsentertainment/a/godsnumber.htm
December 10, 2003, 5:03 AM
K
[quote author=CrAz3D link=board=4;threadid=4163;start=0#msg34565 date=1071031011]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yup. They showed the number on screen for several seconds, long enough for someone to remember it. I suppose it's equivalent to having ### 867 5309. :)
December 10, 2003, 5:04 AM
iago
[/quote]

[/quote]

Your friend has too much time on his hands..
December 10, 2003, 5:52 AM
hismajesty
[/quote]

[/quote]
Your friend didn't do a very good job if the number is in Georgia too.

[quote]More information here:
http://atlanta.about.com/cs/artsentertainment/a/godsnumber.htm [/quote]
December 10, 2003, 12:12 PM
CrAz3D
@ least the one in Georgia was a church. The one in Seattle was a doctor's office if I do remember.
December 10, 2003, 5:50 PM
Spht
[quote author=CrAz3D link=board=4;threadid=4163;start=0#msg34606 date=1071078606]
@ least the one in Georgia was a church. The one in Seattle was a doctor's office if I do remember.
[/quote]

You should realize that they only supplied the NXX of the number and not the NPA, which means the number can match well over 200 numbers in North America.
December 10, 2003, 6:16 PM

Search