Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | AIM Advertisements

AuthorMessageTime
j0k3r
Thought it was time for a change from the other thread...

Recently (well, more than before) I have been getting advertisements that use sound when I first log in to AIM. These advertisements are not only annoying, but intrusive and old, I don't need to hear about a movie I've seen 5 different trailers for.

Before my router screwed up, it would block these and the MSN pop ups, and I know that MSN popups can be stopped by blocking a port (80 was it?). Does anybody know about the AIM advertisements and how to stop them, or can anybody give me the link to the method to block MSN popups? (Yes, I have tried searching, but it didn't come up with what I was looking for)
December 8, 2003, 10:03 PM
iago
Try using a packetsniffer, like Ethereal(.com), and see what port it uses to connect to third party sites. That is, if nobody else gives you a better answer than this.
December 8, 2003, 10:27 PM
Hostile
1: I have been using MSN Messenger since it was first available, and I have yet to see it give me popup adds. (Unless you're refering that icky MSN Explorer or whatever it is) 2: Exclusively blocking port 80 would cause more trouble then its worth since thats the port for http. 3: Im sure theres plenty of things out there to kill AIM ads.
December 9, 2003, 12:06 AM
Naem
Some AIM ads actually download movie trailers. Fucking movie trailers. I'm talking 30 FPS, 45 second long movie trailers. Assholes.
December 9, 2003, 1:58 AM
j0k3r
Yes naem, exactly, and when you click pause or stop to stop if it will freeze your comp for 15seconds then throw a popup your way.

As for MSN popup, I'm talking about those dumb little messages that are sent to you.
December 9, 2003, 4:47 AM
warz
disable messanger service?
December 9, 2003, 4:53 AM
Hostile
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=2;threadid=4154;start=0#msg34403 date=1070945236]
As for MSN popup, I'm talking about those dumb little messages that are sent to you.
[/quote]

Ok, I can understand the people who were stupid enough to not understand the this one was microsoft massively advertised the difference thanks to MSBlaster, but thats a totally different service installed on your computer and has nothing to do with MSN Messenger. You can use it by going into Run/Command Prompt/MS DOS and typing:
[code]net send <address to send to> <text message>[/code]
You can disable it by going into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and then stopping the service called "Messenger", and to prevent it from starting up again when you reboot, switch startup type to Manual.
December 9, 2003, 6:23 AM
Trance
Just curious, what AIM version do you have? Because I've never seen any of the things you've talked about.
December 11, 2003, 9:25 PM

Search