Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Web Development | Question with Apache and DNS

AuthorMessageTime
Crypticflare
I setup apache on one of my older computers, I'd just like to mess around with it and such, I have a domain name thats not propregated to any nameserver right now. Is it possible to direct the non-used domain name to my current computer thats running apache? If so, I've been looking through the apache manual and I'm having a troublesome time where to edit the changes for it at. Oh I am setup behind a router, which could lead to difficulties I suppose.. Still any suggestions would be nice.
December 4, 2003, 2:56 AM
St0rm.iD
You need to set it up with whoever you registered it with. If you're running your own nameserver, you have to configure BIND with it, which is usually setting up a .hosts file in your namedb.

I don't know if this is what you're asking, but are you trying to set up a virtual host?
December 4, 2003, 3:39 AM
Crypticflare
Well what I'd like to do is just have my domain: www.cfdesigns.org point to the apache thats installed my computer, since I don't have any host space to use.. I'm doing this for pure learning. But I'm really sorta clueless on what my next step would be.
December 4, 2003, 4:09 AM
St0rm.iD
Whoever you bought the domain from will have some kind of control panel. See if you can point the domain at your machine's IP address. It'll take a while for it to take effect.
December 4, 2003, 8:27 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=22;threadid=4060;start=0#msg33652 date=1070569637]
Whoever you bought the domain from will have some kind of control panel. See if you can point the domain at your machine's IP address. It'll take a while for it to take effect.
[/quote]
About 24 - 48 hours for the registrar to take update.
December 5, 2003, 2:44 AM
CrAzY
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=22;threadid=4060;start=0#msg33740 date=1070592255]
About 24 - 48 hours for the registrar to take update.
[/quote]

Normally a bit more than that, I'd say 48-96 Hours...
December 5, 2003, 3:10 PM
j0k3r
I've never had it take over 2 days, I'm registered with godaddy.com.
December 5, 2003, 3:35 PM

Search