Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Advanced Programming | War2 BN's Chat Window

AuthorMessageTime
UserLoser.
How would I go about adding text and settings colors to Warcraft II's Chat window (Where you see talks, emotes, whispers, ect)? Using Spy++, I've been able to find the names of each class and window name under the SDlgDialog class and play around with some windows settings fonts, changing captions, and more. But, I don't see any sort of window that is a RichEdit in Spy++. How are Blizzard products chat windows done, and how would I go about adding text to them?
December 4, 2003, 2:36 AM
Kp
The main chat interface is a listbox which is owner-drawn, uses low unprintables to control color, and prohibits having its elements selected. The low unprintables is why SC's UTF8 bug permits color -- you send something that decodes into a low unprintable and the result is color.
December 4, 2003, 2:50 AM
MesiaH
im not positive about warcraft, but starcraft has 2 listbox's, one for the main display, and one for the users in the channel. They both have the same class name and etc, so make sure your code utilizes the right one.
December 12, 2003, 8:14 AM
Skywing
Because that user interface is managed by Battle.snp, it works (mostly) the same between Starcraft, Diablo, and Warcraft II (excepting minor differences such as the Warcraft II version of battle.snp being much older than the Starcraft version).
December 12, 2003, 2:40 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=MesiaH link=board=23;threadid=4059;start=0#msg34910 date=1071216847]
im not positive about warcraft, but starcraft has 2 listbox's, one for the main display, and one for the users in the channel. They both have the same class name and etc, so make sure your code utilizes the right one.
[/quote]

The main chat window is a listbox? O_O
January 28, 2004, 11:45 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=23;threadid=4059;start=0#msg41560 date=1075333515]
[quote author=MesiaH link=board=23;threadid=4059;start=0#msg34910 date=1071216847]
[/quote]

The main chat window is a listbox? O_O
[/quote]
Yes; you can check these things out yourself with Spy++, which is included with Visual C++.
January 29, 2004, 4:12 AM

Search