Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Fun Forum™ | Beating Mario Bros 3

AuthorMessageTime
iago
This is fucking unbelievable. It really is.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/moSMB3.wmv
December 2, 2003, 4:53 AM
Newby
Seen it. It's cool. ;)
December 2, 2003, 5:04 AM
Yoni
Masterfully done.
December 2, 2003, 11:13 PM
Raven
I particularly liked how he/she owned the tank and ship levels in World 8. :)
December 3, 2003, 4:11 PM
DarkVirus
To be honest I've done it in about the same amount of time but I find it hard to beleive the person didnt get attacked by the wrenches in world 8 considering 5 hit him/her dead on.
December 3, 2003, 9:01 PM
j0k3r
I'm not even able to see the movie, says 404.
December 3, 2003, 9:16 PM
Crypticflare
I heard some discussions on Blizzhackers that said its possibly an emulation Bot.. I don't much about that though just a thing I saw.
December 3, 2003, 10:22 PM
iago
I doubt they would program a bot to stop for extra lives, though.. but who knows?
December 3, 2003, 10:54 PM
warz
Does he beat it insanely fast or something?
December 4, 2003, 10:16 PM
Raven
He or she beats the entire game in about 11 minutes, but it goes through the game and shows you all of it from the first level. However, he uses the whistles, so after the midway castle in World 1, he uses the two whistles to immediately reach World 8. However, whoever (or whatever) is controlling Mario in the levels plays with some pretty big skill, like bouncing off 7-8 cannons and like knocking off every enemy that appears. It's either a bot, or someone that got really good at that game. :)
December 4, 2003, 10:39 PM
iago
I'd like to see somebody beat the same without whistles like that :)
December 4, 2003, 11:25 PM
warz
Just watched it, and it looks to me like its edited somewhat, or somethings bunk. Those throwing stars hit mario in the face 2 or 3 times. I know for a fact they hurt you, because I remember having to dodge them. Perhaps game genie, or something aided him? Maybe it was a hacked computer version?
December 4, 2003, 11:59 PM
Hostile
had to be an emulator + rom and possible some hack who knows besides the wrenches that hit him he basically masters the lvl 8 world and gets 70 lives in the first level of world 8 alone... possible invincibility hack or something but either way that was hand done and very impressive. I've only beaten that game -once-. And boy was I happy to do it that one time.
December 5, 2003, 5:18 AM
Noodlez
The person who did this is the author of an emulator. He added a keystroke sending feature to his emulator and used this to complete it. He did the same thing with megaman3 in 23 minutes
December 5, 2003, 7:43 AM
Adron
[quote author=j0k3r link=board=4;threadid=4012;start=0#msg33469 date=1070486174]
I'm not even able to see the movie, says 404.
[/quote]

Me neither. Fix it! :P

Someone who can see it, download and upload elsewhere, or provide a different link?
December 5, 2003, 12:45 PM
Raven
http://home.comcast.net/~mferker/moSMB3.wmv

Enjoy. :)
December 5, 2003, 9:02 PM
Adron
haha, that's a nice game.
December 5, 2003, 9:32 PM
MesiaH
excellent, but a few noticble things that show it was not played by human hands.

first off, even on any emulator ive ever played, when you beat a level, or when you open an item box, you have to wait a second or two before u can actually open them.

another thing, is the music is distorted in certain spots, which could be a possible emulation problem, but come on now, isnt it a bit weird that the music only gets a little weird only when he does super unnatural weird things?

and lastly, he flew right by those things where the hand always grabs you, thats totally crazy.

but man i wish i was that good :P
December 7, 2003, 3:47 AM
j0k3r
Page cannot be displayed.

Why do you hate me so?
December 7, 2003, 3:50 AM
iago
[quote author=MesiaH link=board=4;threadid=4012;start=15#msg34060 date=1070768860]
excellent, but a few noticble things that show it was not played by human hands.

first off, even on any emulator ive ever played, when you beat a level, or when you open an item box, you have to wait a second or two before u can actually open them.

another thing, is the music is distorted in certain spots, which could be a possible emulation problem, but come on now, isnt it a bit weird that the music only gets a little weird only when he does super unnatural weird things?

and lastly, he flew right by those things where the hand always grabs you, thats totally crazy.

but man i wish i was that good :P
[/quote]

It's possible to go over that hand thing without getting pulled, it happens ~1/4 of the time.

I'm pretty sure it's an emulator because of the white stripe along the side when he's moving. But that proves nothing.
December 7, 2003, 2:19 PM
St0rm.iD
If anyone noticed, this is a Japanese version of the game.

And we all know how good the Japanese are at video games...so I don't think this is a fake :)
December 7, 2003, 11:06 PM
Soul Taker
The only time that the wrenches even came close to hitting him IMO was in the last tank level, two of the mole dudes next to each other came very close. At first, I thought he was hit in the face. After watching frame-by-frame, they appear to barely miss his head.
December 8, 2003, 7:59 AM
Brolly
Don't you find it suspicious that in almost every level he gets a star?
December 8, 2003, 7:47 PM
Grok
[quote author=Brolly link=board=4;threadid=4012;start=15#msg34309 date=1070912870]
[/quote]

I think it says more that you watched it for more than a minute.
December 8, 2003, 11:24 PM
Adron
[quote author=Brolly link=board=4;threadid=4012;start=15#msg34309 date=1070912870]
[/quote]

I at first found it suspicious that he didn't get a star in every level. When I played I got a star in every level. Then I realized that getting a last star would've taken more time. He probably got a mushroom intentionally.
December 8, 2003, 11:39 PM
iago
[quote author=Adron link=board=4;threadid=4012;start=15#msg34356 date=1070926793]
[/quote]

I at first found it suspicious that he didn't get a star in every level. When I played I got a star in every level. Then I realized that getting a last star would've taken more time. He probably got a mushroom intentionally.
[/quote]

I came to the same conclusion. I also used to get a star in every level. It's not random at all, it's based on how you hit it.
December 8, 2003, 11:45 PM
Hostile
iirc it has to do with what the 1 digit of your coins is, either that or it was for the time number. [me=Hostile]shrugs[/me]
but anyways, if you remember iago, there was always that blinking white spot on the game when you would run or whatever *go into one of those cloud levels or something you'll definitly see it.
December 9, 2003, 12:18 AM
Adron
To get a star, just make sure that you're running at maximum velocity when you enter the dark area at the end of the map, and keep going until you hit the star. Hit it as soon as possible (left edge).

If you look at the movie, you'll find that he hit it late (at the right edge) the time he got the mushroom.

I think it just starts rotating cards when you enter the black area and then follow the same sequence every time, so if you take X amount of time to hit it, you'll get card Y where Y = f(X).

Look, now I've qualified this for the math forum! :P
December 9, 2003, 10:35 AM
j0k3r
[quote author=Adron link=board=4;threadid=4012;start=15#msg34414 date=1070966134]
To get a star, just make sure that you're running at maximum velocity when you enter the dark area at the end of the map, and keep going until you hit the star. Hit it as soon as possible (left edge).

If you look at the movie, you'll find that he hit it late (at the right edge) the time he got the mushroom.

I think it just starts rotating cards when you enter the black area and then follow the same sequence every time, so if you take X amount of time to hit it, you'll get card Y where Y = f(X).

Look, now I've qualified this for the math forum! :P

[/quote]
You need Yoni's forum :P

Yeah, the cards begin to roll when you enter the black area and if you master your timing you can get the same card over and over (I used to play too much).
December 9, 2003, 12:10 PM
vbVanguard
It's a fake. The author played the game at about 10-20 FPS (the normal speed is 60 FPS), and used save states for when he messed up. It says so on his website. But this is a cool video, nevertheless. I could never do that even by cheating...
December 13, 2003, 4:28 PM

Search