Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Thing-O-Rama ™ | Euthanism is it murder?

AuthorMessageTime
Crypticflare
This morning I had to take my buddy of the last 8 years in to put her down, this dog had done everything for me, hunted with me, always was up for a game of catch, recently she became ill due to a cancerous tumor on one side of her nose, which caused her to not be able to breathe right, I had three different vet opinions on her and they all said shes suffering. So I took her in and let the doc give her the shot while I was petting her. It's the only thing I could have done, still doesn't make it feel right though.
December 1, 2003, 1:33 PM
Zerg
Understanding that the dog is suffering, and doesn't deserve that, I understand where you're coming from.
But I can also understand when people would take positions against you, because you'd be playing "God's role".
It's true, you shouldn't be the one taking these choices in your own hands, but the fact is, you have it. Would you rather let the dog suffer, and be useless and feel useless?
You did the right thing, stop having seconds thoughts.
And I'm sorry about your good friend dude.
December 1, 2003, 1:38 PM
Mitosis
I think your made the right choice. Would you want your dog your best buddy to suffer over something that she doesnt deserve? She is in a better place and wont be hurt anymore. Just remember that.
December 1, 2003, 1:42 PM
K
[Semi OT] I wonder why euthanasia of pets is acceptable and legal when they are suffering, but euthanasia of the elderly when they want to end their suffering is illegal.

Anyway, sorry about your dog; losing any pet, let alone one you've had for eight years is always hard.
December 1, 2003, 7:01 PM
Zerg
[quote author=K link=board=35;threadid=3991;start=0#msg32930 date=1070305283]
[Semi OT] I wonder why euthanasia of pets is acceptable and legal when they are suffering, but euthanasia of the elderly when they want to end their suffering is illegal.

Anyway, sorry about your dog; losing any pet, let alone one you've had for eight years is always hard.
[/quote]
What are you talking about, they pull the plug on people all the time.(Most of the time in indirect ways)
If the guy is going to be a vegetable, laying in bed, hand fed for his entire life, they just simply refuse treatment unless you pay(which most likely, you can't afford)
It's funny too, because some people can't afford it, so actually resort to instant ways out.

Then again, you should just let the person/animal run its course.
But uh mitosis, you actually beleive animals have a haven to look forward to..?
December 1, 2003, 9:04 PM
iago
haha, I originally read the topic as, "Enthusiasm is murder" somehow :)
December 1, 2003, 10:13 PM
Raven
[quote author=iago link=board=35;threadid=3991;start=0#msg32987 date=1070316830]
haha, I originally read the topic as, "Enthusiasm is murder" somehow :)
[/quote]

While we're on that, it's actually "Euthanasia". "Euthanism" kinda sounds like "Euphanism", so people may misinterpret that. ;)
December 2, 2003, 12:43 AM
hismajesty
[quote author=Zerg link=board=35;threadid=3991;start=0#msg32952 date=1070312662]
[quote author=K link=board=35;threadid=3991;start=0#msg32930 date=1070305283]

[/quote]
What are you talking about, they pull the plug on people all the time.(Most of the time in indirect ways)
If the guy is going to be a vegetable, laying in bed, hand fed for his entire life, they just simply refuse treatment unless you pay(which most likely, you can't afford)
It's funny too, because some people can't afford it, so actually resort to instant ways out.

Then again, you should just let the person/animal run its course.
But uh mitosis, you actually beleive animals have a haven to look forward to..?

[/quote]

There is a big congressional debate going on right now over rather or not to legalize euthanasia of suffering patients, we recently discussed it in government. However, I think that they should be able to make the decision on what to do with their own life..especially when they're suffering. Anyway, sorry about your loss Mike...I understand what you're going through...my dog was put down a few weeks ago as well. Good luck through it all :)
December 2, 2003, 9:04 PM

Search