Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | .NET Platform | Visual Basic.Net : Step By Step

AuthorMessageTime
Mitosis
I saw this book when I was recently at chapters and thought I should get it maybe because someone told me to get it. Anyway Iv heard alot of people say that "Microsoft" books arent good for beginners. Any feed back would be great.
December 1, 2003, 11:42 AM
DarkVirus
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=37;threadid=3989;start=0#msg32866 date=1070278938]
I saw this book when I was recently at chapters and thought I should get it maybe because someone told me to get it. Anyway Iv heard alot of people say that "Microsoft" books arent good for beginners. Any feed back would be great.
[/quote]

Well considering I'm the one that suggested the book because I had it, I'll respond :)

I personally don't care for this book at all due to the lack of examples, excessive lack of code and the non-elaborate descriptions on some items. I was only migrating from 6.0 to .Net so this book really didn't have that "beginners" effect because...well I'm not a beginner ;) The feel I get from Microsoft books is they are more of a reference guide, but even then I find nothing truely great about them.
December 1, 2003, 7:36 PM
Skywing
That's a probably inaccurate overgeneralization. All Microsoft books aren't written by the same person. There are a number of very good books published by Microsoft Press, such as [u]Programming the Microsoft Windows Driver Model[/u] or [u]Inside Windows 2000[/u].
December 1, 2003, 7:39 PM
DarkVirus
[quote author=Skywing link=board=37;threadid=3989;start=0#msg32940 date=1070307579]
That's a probably inaccurate overgeneralization. All Microsoft books aren't written by the same person. There are a number of very good books published by Microsoft Press, such as [u]Programming the Microsoft Windows Driver Model[/u] or [u]Inside Windows 2000[/u].
[/quote]

Who was overgeneralizing? 95% of my post was based on my thoughts of that particular book. I've also gazed at ADO.Net and ASP.Net where I get the same feel. I never said they were bad books at all, I just don't care for the writing styles of the ones I gazed/read. I'm sure there are plenty of good books published by Microsoft Press, I just don't care for the one's I've read.
December 1, 2003, 7:45 PM
Mitosis
So whats a good book for .NET begginers for C++ and VB. [Dont bother to say John Smiley, Chapters is gay and doesnt have any, I have checked several times]

Thanks for any info givin.
December 1, 2003, 9:47 PM
Grok
[quote author=DarkVirus link=board=37;threadid=3989;start=0#msg32942 date=1070307931]
[quote author=Skywing link=board=37;threadid=3989;start=0#msg32940 date=1070307579]
[/quote]

Who was overgeneralizing? 95% of my post was based on my thoughts of that particular book. I've also gazed at ADO.Net and ASP.Net where I get the same feel. I never said they were bad books at all, I just don't care for the writing styles of the ones I gazed/read. I'm sure there are plenty of good books published by Microsoft Press, I just don't care for the one's I've read.
[/quote]

YOU WERE!

[quote]The feel I get from Microsoft books is they are more of a reference guide, but even then I find nothing truely great about them.[/quote]
December 1, 2003, 10:30 PM
Mitosis
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=37;threadid=3989;start=0#msg32973 date=1070315267]
So whats a good book for .NET begginers for C++ and VB. [Dont bother to say John Smiley, Chapters is gay and doesnt have any, I have checked several times]

Thanks for any info givin.
[/quote]
December 1, 2003, 10:33 PM
DarkVirus
LoL I was simply stating my opinion on the "feel" I got rather than implying all Microsoft books were bad.

Either way as for a great C++ book, my preference of title has switched particularly to the Deitel series and their C++ How to Program 4th edition (ISBN: 0130384747) is a wonderful C++ book I think. Maybe their VB.Net book is just as good? They're expensive but I enjoyed the C++ book and still am very much.
December 1, 2003, 10:35 PM
Mitosis
[quote author=DarkVirus link=board=37;threadid=3989;start=0#msg33006 date=1070318105]
LoL I was simply stating my opinion on the "feel" I got rather than implying all Microsoft books were bad.

Either way as for a great C++ book, my preference of title has switched particularly to the Deitel series and their C++ How to Program 4th edition (ISBN: 0130384747) is a wonderful C++ book I think. Maybe their VB.Net book is just as good? They're expensive but I enjoyed the C++ book and still am very much.
[/quote]
Aight now is there a VB.net one too, I have looked at Chapters.ca but like I found books but how do I know if they are good for newbs like me?
December 1, 2003, 10:37 PM
Skywing
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=37;threadid=3989;start=0#msg33008 date=1070318250]
[quote author=DarkVirus link=board=37;threadid=3989;start=0#msg33006 date=1070318105]

[/quote]
Aight now is there a VB.net one too, I have looked at Chapters.ca but like I found books but how do I know if they are good for newbs like me?
[/quote]
Go read part of it and see if you like it.

The best option would probably be to go to your local bookstore like B&N or Borders and read a chapter or two - that should give you a good feel of whether the book will be helpful to you or not.
December 1, 2003, 10:40 PM
Mitosis
The library here is crappy got nothing on programming and remember I said I live in a shit town that has nothing lolol
December 1, 2003, 10:53 PM
Grok
[quote author=Mitosis link=board=37;threadid=3989;start=0#msg33022 date=1070319228]
The library here is crappy got nothing on programming and remember I said I live in a shit town that has nothing lolol
[/quote]

Dude you need to pay close attention to what I say next.

Most of our forums are for people who think. You are not thinking. Whether you're too young, or too immature, or just honestly too stupid, it doesn't really matter. Your posts COME ACROSS AS stupid. I am probably not the only one itching to ban you from all the forums. You've flooded nearly every forum with stupid replies, adding almost nothing of value.

Worse, you never read what anyone replies to you, even when people go out of their way to be nice and explain things to you. We've got a lot of tolerance for ignorance on the forums, but not stupidity, laziness, or an acute failure to comprehend everything.

My advice to you, if you want to remain welcomed here, is stop posting immediately, read this reply about 50 times over the next 4-5 days, do not even try to argue with me, just know that I am spending more energy writing this reply to help you than it would take to just ban you. Thus, I must be trying to give you a chance, and I expect you to put forth an effort.

* The forums are not chat rooms. Do not post and keep refreshing until someone replies, then you post again. If you want a chat buddy go to an AOL chat room.

* Do not make consecutive posts. If you've replied to something and there's no reply after it, and you want to add something, MODIFY your last reply to include the new information.

Well I'll stop here before I say something that isn't helpful.
December 2, 2003, 2:20 AM
DarkVirus
[quote]
Go read part of it and see if you like it.

The best option would probably be to go to your local bookstore like B&N or Borders and read a chapter or two - that should give you a good feel of whether the book will be helpful to you or not.
[/quote]

We just got a borders put up in Keene NH which is the next state over near the newly erected Home Depot. Borders was a lot nicer than I thought it would be but no where near as large as B&N in Holyoke MA. The computer section in Borders is rather nice with a corner to itself and is packed full of books. Might spend some time over there in the future reading instead of buying the books :P Nice to have a bookstore like that around because my town has shit for computer based stores.
December 2, 2003, 8:31 PM

Search