Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | General Discussion | New Computer!

AuthorMessageTime
AssassinRC
Well, a fairly standard post to re-introduce myself into the vL forum community. I'm Assassin~{RC}, member/leader of the Royal Council on USEast. I've been hard at work lately, so with some of the extra cash I have set aside I decided I was interested in purchasing a new computer. I know the owners of the company DirectPC.ca (Beetek) on the west coast in Richmond, BC (That's in Canada for you slow ones out there.), and they gave me a great deal on a high end gaming system.

- 3.2ghz Pentium 4 (800mhz FSB / With HT Tech)
- ASUS P4C800 Deluxe Motherboard
- 1024mb Corsair DDR 3700
- 250gb 7200 rpm Serial ATA
- Radeon 9800 XT 256mb
- Sound Blaster Audigy ZS2

Those are the base specs I suppose. In terms of case, cooling, etc:

- 21 Inch Thermaltake Highest Xaser III V2000A Super Tower (Aluminium)
- Thermaltake Volcano 12
- Thermaltake Hardcano 12
- Thermaltake 480W Power Supply
- 2 Neon Light Sound Sensitive ( Blue )
- 1 Case fan (w/color led)

- No monitor / keyboard / etc as I already have them.

Total price: 1800$ CDN

Keep in mind i've never been much of a gaming enthusiast, or much for wanting to add tacky things like "neon lights" inside my cases. However, they said they'd add both of them for free because i'm a premium customer so I didn't object. This computer isn't much of an upgrade over the one I have now (A 2.66ghz P4 / 120gb / Radeon 9700 Pro), but my little brother has struggled gaming on a machine that was running at 800 mhz, so i'm giving him my old computer as a Christmas present. Aren't I just sweet! Hehe.
November 28, 2003, 3:48 PM
warz
[quote author=AssassinRC link=board=2;threadid=3921;start=0#msg32240 date=1070034528][08:18:42] <Assassin~{RC}> No thanks wewt, no need to answer someone at a level as low as yours. Later.
[/quote]

Extremely sweet. </sarcasm-due-to-bad-first-impressions>
November 28, 2003, 3:54 PM
AssassinRC
Momo, what was I supposed to think of someone using an account I didn't recognize pestering me through whispers with a dnd message telling me to answer in the channel? Come now, that's so... Assassin 1997'ish. ;)
November 28, 2003, 4:18 PM
wut
So what if the guy has a condescending disposition -- he's giving his brother a 2.6 P4!
November 28, 2003, 4:19 PM
AssassinRC
Yeah... he's a good kid. He doesn't ask for much around the house, and he's a 25 hours a day kind of a gamer. It just seems like the nice thing to do! The car accident I was in a while back has brought me a lot closer to my family.
November 28, 2003, 4:26 PM
Skywing
This 2.4GHz P4/64MB GeForce Go 4200/512MB RAM laptop hasn't really had any problems running anything. You upgrade too often :p
November 28, 2003, 4:40 PM
AssassinRC
I know it totally must come across that way, but I was stumped what to get the kid for christmas and a little upgrade every now and then doesn't hurt right? :P
November 28, 2003, 4:46 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=AssassinRC link=board=2;threadid=3921;start=0#msg32251 date=1070038017]
I know it totally must come across that way, but I was stumped what to get the kid for christmas and a little upgrade every now and then doesn't hurt right? :P
[/quote]
[quote author=AssassinRC link=board=2;threadid=3921;start=0#msg32240 date=1070034528]
Total price: 1800$ CDN
[/quote]
Mind sparing a *little money for a *little upgrade?
November 28, 2003, 5:12 PM
AssassinRC
Ugh, this must have across really bad eh Joker? I don't think I mentioned it was a *little money anywhere did I? And technically it's still only a little upgrade. I'd probably be willing to lend you some if Christmas wasn't so near.
November 28, 2003, 5:27 PM
j0k3r
[quote author=AssassinRC link=board=2;threadid=3921;start=0#msg32256 date=1070040435]
Ugh, this must have across really bad eh Joker? I don't think I mentioned it was a *little money anywhere did I? And technically it's still only a little upgrade. I'd probably be willing to lend you some if Christmas wasn't so near.
[/quote]
Haha, little upgrade associates with little money.

Naw, I'm set with my computer, I don't think I need to upgrade anything.
November 28, 2003, 5:49 PM
AssassinRC
Hehe fair enough. What do you have for a system anyways? :)
November 28, 2003, 6:23 PM
j0k3r
Intel Pentium IV 2.39 GHZ
533FSB
512 DDR (333MHZ)
40 Gig Maxtor 7200RPM (*2)
DVD/CDRW Combo
350Watt powersupply
Radeon 9700 Pro

Works great for me.
November 28, 2003, 6:30 PM
iago
Hell I'm using 1.33ghz, 512 DDR, shared video. And it works great!
November 28, 2003, 6:33 PM
AssassinRC
Doh, maybe i'm just too picky. I'm just totally an eye candy sort of guy! I love having things loo the way companies intend them too, or better. It's somewhat the same reason I was a bigger fan of playing PSX on a computer using an emulator rather than on the console itself. The textures and graphics aren't even comparable they look so damn good! I am somewhat kicking my ass though, the day after I put my order in I learned Alienware began catering to CDN customers, and i've been dying to have one of those odd looking bugged out towers sitting on my desk. ;D
November 28, 2003, 7:20 PM
Hostile
[quote author=AssassinRC link=board=2;threadid=3921;start=0#msg32240 date=1070034528]
- 1024mb Corsair DDR 3700
[/quote]

DDR PC3700 Ram is quite pointless unless you plan on overclocking your FSB. PC3200 is as fast as the 800Mhz FSB on the P4 will go otherwise, perhaps would have been better off getting the Low Latency Corsair DDR modules.

A 2.66ghz P4 / 120gb / Radeon 9700 Pro
[/quote]

I'm running a 2.66Ghz P4 B cpu, 1 GB RDRam PC1066 ram, 30GB+120GB 7200rpm Ultra ATA hd, Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, Radeon 9700 Pro and a 21" FD Trinitron monitor (btw what monitor are you using?) anyways... I have yet to use the full potential of my system but I suppose it never hurts if you have the money. I'm currently already looking at getting a new system but for the sole purpose that my old comp before this one died and was my test system (developed software, evulation software, untrusted software) and I find it hard to live without which is my main motivation behind wanting a new system. (Buy new gaming system or possibly just a workstation, then use this one as test system. Finally, I'm not sure if it worth getting a new system now unless youre the type of person who only gets a new system when its needed. Granted theres always some new amazing technology right around the corner, but with new video card chipsets not far off and intels prescott cpus and the chipset that will come with that it's fairly wise to say that they are worth waiting for.

As far as alienware systems.... well screw those. They still use Intels 875P MB which is good but the Asus P4C800-E is much nicer, when Asus first released their 875P mb (the P4C800) it was perfect, oh yeah except for being cheap and not paying the extra $5 for intels patented CSA "direct to northbridge" gigabit ethernet chip and had a 3Com gigabit ethernet chip which went through the southbridge which already has a 1 gigabit (266 megabyte) per second max, which seemed like a cheap imitation for their highend reputation. So there for with intels CSA technology saved any ethernet traffic, which freed more southbridge bandwidth for SATA hds and soundcards/pvrs or whatever. Should also note the SATA hds already cant use full capacity of of their speed so its somewhat notable that its not always wise to think they are a -huge- improvement with the exception of cabling and their -potential-. Either way congradulations, I would not in a million years try to discourage you buying this due to the fact that is an awesome price and well basically all the other kids who are whining out of jelousy don't have a job and well whats the point in having a job when you're young and have as few responcibilities as you will in your life (besides maybe car/insurance payments and cloths or entertainment costs) if you can't blow most of it on the things you want.
November 28, 2003, 7:48 PM
AssassinRC
Hehe, I definitely inquired about the 3200 / 3700 memory. I only had to pay an extra 30 or 40$ for the 3700, so I figured I may as well. When I set out with a 2000$ budget, this company totally blew my mind with their offer. Even when they gave me their base offer (3.0ghz P4), they were very obliged to upgrade it for a small price. I've directed a lot of traffic and customers to them though, as I am sure they are aware.

I spent literally weeks looking through benchmarks on the Mobo and the Graphics Card before deciding. I had almost decided on getting a GeForce, but i've always been more fond of ATI and their drivers seem to push all games farther. Despite GeForce FX 5950 being "directly created to fully support DirectX 9.0", ATI still blasted it out of the water in the benchmarks with the "eXTreme gaming" 9800 enhancement. Plus I get Half Life 2 (A voucher, close enough.) out of the deal.

As for the motherboard, I almost went for the basic Intel D875PBZ because I had heard nothing but good about it. I asked a few friends who had the board about it and they said they'd used it with literally no problems. It's really unfortunate that Asus cheaped out on not getting the CSA, but I still find it a better buy. I was actually fairly disappointed in Asus cheaping out like that, it's not something you'd expect from a company with that high of stature. I admit I am semi-mixing my priorities. I've got another 4000$ or so to put on my car before I can even attempt fixing it up for the road again, among other things. Damn me for cheaping out on the insurance.

Anyways, about the monitor and speakers i'm using right now:
- Viewsonic A90f+
- Logitech Z-560's

I am hopefully going to upgrade speakers one day soon. I've been looking at the Klipsch (Sp?) Ultra 5000's, they are absolutely amazing. But as I said, I set out with a budget and I totally think I surpassed anything I could have imagined for the money i've put out for this computer.

[Edit]Spelling[/Edit]
November 28, 2003, 8:04 PM
Hostile
Good deal with the PC3700 DDR Ram, was just pointing out shouldve compared pricing to the LL 3200 ram as well.

The Asus P4C800 did not have CSA Technology, however the P4C800-E does. (better late then never) You should always check their website in addition to looking at benchmarks btw :p

The ATI Radeon 9800 XT owns the shit out of the Geforce FX 5950 and lighter/quiter and doesn't take up 2 PCI slots. [me=Hostile]kicks nvidia.[/me]

For Speakers the Logitech Z-680 is better then the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra and is about $50 USD cheaper. (Logitech offers both digital and analog connectivity)

Finally, your monitor sucks compared to your video card. The max refresh rate compared to what you card can handle is crap, the max resolution sucks as well and its dot pitch isn't good enough for the video card. Ok, I'm being brutal but considering you have the best gaming retail video card available... it's all true. Your monitor is quite good but you should still have better. You need a 21" FD Trinitron flat-screen crt monitor. (Though one of those 24" Sony ones with a .23mm dot pitch would work too ($1750 USD)) One that has a much higher refresh rate and the first digit for its max resolution better start with a 2. Also, although its standard on most it should have a .24mm diagonal dot pitch.
November 28, 2003, 10:18 PM
AssassinRC
[quote author=Hostile link=board=2;threadid=3921;start=15#msg32297 date=1070057889]
The Asus P4C800 did not have CSA Technology, however the P4C800-E does. (better late then never) You should always check their website in addition to looking at benchmarks btw :p
[/quote]
*sigh* The Asus P4C800-E wasn't in stock at Beetek when I ordered the computer, but CSA wasn't so much of a priority I was going to make them order one in specially for me after they had already offered me such a great deal.

[quote author=Hostile link=board=2;threadid=3921;start=15#msg32297 date=1070057889]
For Speakers the Logitech Z-680 is better then the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra and is about $50 USD cheaper.[/quote]
I actually changed my mind about the speakers I was interested in between posting originally and this reply.
- Creative GigaWorks™ S750 - 7.1
Now hold on before you give me some negative feedback on the selection. I always have used my computer for a home theatre. It's in my room, it's more comfortable to bring girls down here for dates and whatnot to keep out of the way of the family, and I just like the setup overall. Because i'm using it for a home theatre, having 7.1 sound would be a nice addition. Right now i'm running on the 4.1 Z-560's, and they just don't work for me.

I've never been a monitor genius so I appreciate your suggestions! ;)
November 28, 2003, 10:32 PM
Hostile
Well this is more for people who are actually following this thread, although I think its just me and you and we already discussed this in the channel... However! Despite the greatness of CSA technology, when 99% of your network traffic is from the internet rather then large, consistent LAN traffic, something like CSA is only too a minor advantage and in a general situation wont take up more then 3% of your southbridge bandwidth anyways.

As for the Creative Gigaworks, I am also considering this fine system. Its a bit hard to justify the $500 USD to spend on it however with excelent sound quality, compatibility with Audigy 2 ZS, 7.1 sound configuration and 700 Watts? Its almost irresistable.

For the monitors, well I'd be happy to suggest a few but when you know what to look for it shouldn't be too hard to find.
November 29, 2003, 6:18 AM

Search