Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Webbot Question

AuthorMessageTime
Myndfyr
This may only be distantly related to Bnet bot development, but I think it's related enough to post here.

The Webbot is quite impressive. I've been working on a way to do it myself using ASP.NET - but I am concerned that people who sit and constantly refresh will eat up my bandwidth limit very quickly. So my question is - how do you do it? I would imagine the bandwidth costs, even on your own server, have to be relatively high.

Thanks!
November 26, 2003, 3:01 AM
Spht
It's all text-based and vL server has plenty of bandwidth.

Edit - I can't give you any programming tips because the WebChannel service (written by Skywing) which WebBot uses is what handles all connections and the distribution of channel activity.
November 26, 2003, 3:07 AM
ObsidianWolf
on the other hand I have plenty of knowledge to share on such, PM me.
November 26, 2003, 3:10 AM
Spht
[quote author=ObsidianWolf link=board=17;threadid=3854;start=0#msg31547 date=1069816209]
[/quote]

Or just share with everyone in this thread if you want to be helpful.
November 26, 2003, 3:12 AM
Myndfyr
Do y'all pay for a web host, or does someone have a direct connection at home? :-)
November 26, 2003, 3:17 AM
Maddox
[quote author=Spht link=board=17;threadid=3854;start=0#msg31548 date=1069816342]
[quote author=ObsidianWolf link=board=17;threadid=3854;start=0#msg31547 date=1069816209]
[/quote]

Or just share with everyone in this thread if you want to be helpful.
[/quote]

Ironic.
November 26, 2003, 8:08 AM
iago
The way it works is that the servers sends its own http headers, but (I forget) either sends conten-length: 0 or skips content-length all together, so, as they're watching, it continually sends data and the browser constantly streams it, without the need to refresh.

The channel-list, on the other hand, does refresh. But note that it's only a few bytes, and it's much more costly to view a forum page than that.
November 26, 2003, 2:43 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=iago link=board=17;threadid=3854;start=0#msg31639 date=1069857821]
The way it works is that the servers sends its own http headers, but (I forget) either sends conten-length: 0 or skips content-length all together, so, as they're watching, it continually sends data and the browser constantly streams it, without the need to refresh.

The channel-list, on the other hand, does refresh. But note that it's only a few bytes, and it's much more costly to view a forum page than that.
[/quote]

Interesting. Thank you!
November 26, 2003, 5:13 PM

Search