Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | Learning VB

AuthorMessageTime
13-yr-Old-Newb
Ok, visual basics is a program and a language right??? So do I have to download VB and if so where do I get it?
November 24, 2003, 11:44 PM
13-yr-Old-Newb
Oh yeah, I fiund vb 6.0 on msdn/microsoft and it when I download the file it says that it is 192mb. Should the file be that big or am I downloading the wrong program?
November 25, 2003, 12:04 AM
iago
This would belong on the VB forum. And don't say Visual Basics, or Cuphead may have you killed.
November 25, 2003, 12:17 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=iago link=board=17;threadid=3827;start=0#msg31233 date=1069719479]
This would belong on the VB forum. And don't say Visual Basics, or Cuphead may have you killed.
[/quote]

'Tis true, 'tis true. To answer your question completely, Visual Basic is a programming language that gets much of its syntax (that is, the way that the parts of the language -- identifiers, or variable names; keywords, or the things that more or less "control" what happens; et.al.) from the original BASIC language, or Beginner's All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. Microsoft wanted to develop a language that was both easy-to-use and RAD, or Rapid Application Development, friendly, and from this was borne Visual Basic.

Along with the language, you get a fully-featured Rapid Application Development Environment, also known as an Integrated Development Environment, or IDE. This will typically include a Visual Basic Forms Designer (when you're running a Windows program, there are various features of every window, including buttons, scrollbars, and text boxes - these all sit on what is called a "Form" in Visual Basic), a code view environment with "IntelliSense" (which predicts what you're about to type), a code compiler, and an online help collection. To be complete, I would guess that yes, the Visual Basic download should be approximately 200mb.

Once you're set with that, check out CupHead's homepage for possibly looking into CleanSlateBot, a Visual Basic control that, more-or-less, enables the newbiest of newbs to make a bot. Pretty sick that after more than four years of programming, and well over one year with C#, and that it would take me four months to even get the two computers communicating, that you can just come in and make your bot with CSB, but hey - do your own thing. I feel fulfilled. :P CupHead has also recently posted a tutorial, and IIRC*, that is linked to from his page.

Cheers,

--Rob

----------
Footnotes:
IIRC: If I Recall Correctly, or If I Remember Correctly
November 25, 2003, 1:08 AM
Dyndrilliac
[quote author=13-yr-Old-Newb link=board=17;threadid=3827;start=0#msg31229 date=1069718664]
Oh yeah, I fiund vb 6.0 on msdn/microsoft and it when I download the file it says that it is 192mb. Should the file be that big or am I downloading the wrong program?
[/quote]

When I got mine it was about 75 megs, and was a fragmented version of Visual Studio 6, with VB and VC++, course that's all I really needed anyway.
November 25, 2003, 2:11 AM

Search