Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Battle.net Bot Development | wanting to make a bot

AuthorMessageTime
13-yr-Old-Newb
I wanna make a bot but i have to learn a language first. Im in gr 8 and im pretty good on computeres(thats like all i do) so i figure y not. I should try to make a bot. Im not trying to make anything to complicated just something that can connect to bnet. then when im done that start expanding. could someone please tell me where i can start. if you could that would be great
November 24, 2003, 8:55 PM
Dyndrilliac
I would say get aquanted with a language first. One of the easiest that instantly comes to mind is Visual Basic.

You can find tutorials at places like Here and good books are invaluable. Once you have an understanding of the language you choose, if you happen to be using Visual Basic, I suggest using CupHead's CSB(Clean Slate Bot) OCX(Active X Control) and his tutorial on making a basic bot to connect with. That should get you started.
November 24, 2003, 9:31 PM
______
[quote author=13-yr-Old-Newb link=board=17;threadid=3819;start=0#msg31158 date=1069707338]
could someone please tell me where i can start.[/quote]
I can tell you where to start when you learn a language, whenever you are trying to connect to battle.net, connect to *Server* and port 6112

*Server* = any battle.net server your connecting to, Example USEast.battle.net
November 24, 2003, 9:34 PM
13-yr-Old-Newb
lol i know what a server is i use bots and all and i make websites usin html its not like im a total newb just at making bots :)
November 24, 2003, 9:46 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=13-yr-Old-Newb link=board=17;threadid=3819;start=0#msg31178 date=1069710412]
lol i know what a server is i use bots and all and i make websites usin html its not like im a total newb just at making bots :)
[/quote]

Whoa! Guys! He MAKES WEBSITES [u]USIN[/u] HTML!!!!!
November 24, 2003, 9:55 PM
13-yr-Old-Newb
hey myndfire YOUR STUPID im 13 i dont talk perfect lol so i talk in slang big deal when u were younger i bet u did or if u still are young i bet your a fag at school
November 24, 2003, 10:04 PM
13-yr-Old-Newb
no i dont know any programming languages. i want to learn vb but dont know where and im too cheap to buy a book i was looking for a website
November 24, 2003, 10:06 PM
Kp
[quote author=13-yr-Old-Newb link=board=17;threadid=3819;start=0#msg31187 date=1069711486]
hey myndfire YOUR STUPID im 13 i dont talk perfect lol so i talk in slang big deal when u were younger i bet u did or if u still are young i bet your a fag at school
[/quote]

Attacking more experienced members of the community is not conducive to getting good responses. As we've explained to countless other people (which you would have seen if you'd looked around), proper typing makes it much easier to read a post. Posts which are easy to read are answered more readily. See the connection?
November 24, 2003, 10:23 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=UserLoser. link=board=17;threadid=3819;start=0#msg31188 date=1069711552]
[quote author=13-yr-Old-Newb link=board=17;threadid=3819;start=0#msg31187 date=1069711486]
[/quote]

I'd have to disagree, from what I've seen I believe Myndfyre usually knows what he's talking about

Edit: Spelling
[/quote]

Well TY. :-)
November 24, 2003, 11:00 PM
13-yr-Old-Newb
whatever sorry mindfyre but u dissed me cuz i talk in slang lol
November 24, 2003, 11:03 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=13-yr-Old-Newb link=board=17;threadid=3819;start=0#msg31214 date=1069714992]
[/quote]

Actually, I was making fun of you for bragging that you know HTML, although I was emphasizing the "usin" comment for understatement; well, nevermind, I'm not going to take the time to explain it now. I'm at work.

You might want to check out this forum: https://davnit.net/bnet/vL/phpbbs/index.php?board=24 . It's the Computer Science Classes forum; there are several people here willing to take time out of their day, including myself, to teach people programming skills. I am actually offering two courses, both in C#, but one has had no interest (the total newb course), so it might be dropped. Let me emphasize that, at least for my classes, I won't get into botmaking skills, such as Sockets communication, until at least after the 201-level class, which is not yet posted. Also, my 101 class will not be a good primer for introductory programming; we go over all of the lingo in the 100-level class (such as the distinction between a class and member method, and a variable and identifier - stuff you need to know when you're compiling) - but as I said, it hasn't had any response, and I won't do it for only one or two people.

Anyway, take a look around, and hopefully you'll find something that interests you, and possibly take away some programming skills while you're at it. I am almost entirely self-taught, and I've found that with a good book or web tutorial, you should be able to get involved fairly easily.

Cheers,

--Rob
November 24, 2003, 11:16 PM
iago
[quote author=13-yr-Old-Newb link=board=17;threadid=3819;start=0#msg31214 date=1069714992]
[/quote]

They call it "slang" now? i've always referred to that as "idiot", but that's just me. And yes, even in grade 8 I talked in complete sentences and spelled correctly, because I know that if I didn't, people would look down on me. It's hard enough to make a good impression when you're younger, but why make it more difficult?

You'll quickly find that you have to earn respect here, there aren't any easy answers.
November 24, 2003, 11:19 PM
13-yr-Old-Newb
Okay. I will talk in normal sentences and say laugh out loud instead of lol. If it earns me respect and if people will help me learn how to make a bot then I guess I will start to type correctly. I've never been to a forum like this one before so I did not know.
Sorry to everyone -- 13-yr-old-newb
November 24, 2003, 11:28 PM
iago
Saying "laugh out loud" is going too far, in my opinion.

And this is a good place to stick around, you'll learn a lot if you keep up.
November 24, 2003, 11:33 PM
13-yr-Old-Newb
Alright then, I'll stick around and learn as much as I can and hopefully someday, I can make a bot.

Thanks people,

13-yr-old-newb
November 24, 2003, 11:40 PM
iago
Anyway, back to your original question. It has been answered before, but I'll answer it again anyway.

Is there a library nearby you can get books from?
Do you live near a university? The libraries there are much nicer, but you would have to sit inside it and read, since you wouldn't be able to get a card from there.

You can get example code from www.pscode.com, but you would need a compiler. If you want to learn C++ (it's harder, but better eventually), there are plenty of free ones, like Dev-C++, but if you want visual basic it's harder. There was a free version of VB release called VB 6.0 CCE, or Control Creation Edition. It's limited, and you can't output to .exe files, but it's a legal free version. And, like I've said before, I neither support nor condone piracy, but I won't stop you from trying.

That being said, I have a lot of eBooks for VB or C++ or anything else that I can download/send you if you have icq or msn or aim. My contact information is at the left ( <--- ) if you want to add me to your list on any of them.

Hope this helps!
-iago
November 24, 2003, 11:48 PM
13-yr-Old-Newb
I don't live near any univerisities or anything so I can't go to the library there and the library in my town has like books which are soooo old so I'm not even going to try to look there and I'm on the VB explorer site right now but I am not finding how where to start at it so pretty well I would have to buy a book in Toronto which is the largest city close to me but it takes an hour to get there. So I am going to ask people here or search the web.
Thanks for the Help
--13-yr-old-newb
November 24, 2003, 11:53 PM
iago
Well, you can do what I did and get a QBasic book. Spend a week, learn QBasic well. The skills you learn there translate very nicely to Visual Basic, I found.
November 25, 2003, 12:13 AM
13-yr-Old-Newb
Hey everyone can you all start responding to my other subject, Learning VB. I got some questions over there so if you don't mind...
Thanks
--13-yr-old-newb
November 25, 2003, 12:17 AM
CrAz3D
[quote author=iago link=board=17;threadid=3819;start=0#msg31217 date=1069715976]
[/quote]

They call it "slang" now? i've always referred to that as "idiot", but that's just me. And yes, even in grade 8 I talked in complete sentences and spelled correctly, because I know that if I didn't, people would look down on me. It's hard enough to make a good impression when you're younger, but why make it more difficult?

You'll quickly find that you have to earn respect here, there aren't any easy answers.
[/quote]

You may have learned spelling, not grammar though.

As to 13-yr-Old-Newb, I'd recommend downloading Visual Basic from somewhere other than Microsoft. I'm almost possitive that the version you are downloading is just a trial version & will have some type of restrictions.
November 25, 2003, 12:43 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=13-yr-Old-Newb link=board=17;threadid=3819;start=15#msg31228 date=1069718002]
I don't live near any univerisities or anything so I can't go to the library there and the library in my town has like books which are soooo old so I'm not even going to try to look there and I'm on the VB explorer site right now but I am not finding how where to start at it so pretty well I would have to buy a book in Toronto which is the largest city close to me but it takes an hour to get there. So I am going to ask people here or search the web.
[/quote]

Let me give you an example by what iago means as "complete sentences." This paragraph theoretically translates into:

I don't live near any universities or anything, so I can't go to the library there. The library in my town has books which are so old, I'm not even going to try to look there. I'm on the VB explorer site right now, but I am not finding how or where to start at it. So, I figure I'd have to buy a book in Toronto, which is the largest city close to me -- but it takes an hour to get there. So I am going to ask people here, or continue searching the web.

Do you see how adding the punctuation makes this paragraph infinitely more readable? I think I maybe changed three our four words out of the whole thing - only adding a few periods, taking out your run-on "ands," and I even included a dash for kicks.

Just trying to help. :-)
November 25, 2003, 12:56 AM
ChR0NiC
[quote author=13-yr-Old-Newb link=board=17;threadid=3819;start=0#msg31158 date=1069707338]
I wanna make a bot but i have to learn a language first. Im in gr 8 and im pretty good on computeres(thats like all i do) so i figure y not. I should try to make a bot. Im not trying to make anything to complicated just something that can connect to bnet. then when im done that start expanding. could someone please tell me where i can start. if you could that would be great
[/quote]

You are just like everyone else who wants to start making bots, you ask us for some help on making something that connects to Battle.net then you want this, than that AND MORE AND MORE. It never stops. They want channel list and icons and suddenly you are showing these new bot makers how to do 0ms. STOP THE MADNESS !!!!!!!
November 25, 2003, 3:19 AM
SiMi
[quote author=ChR0NiC link=board=17;threadid=3819;start=15#msg31296 date=1069730362]
[/quote]

You are just like everyone else who wants to start making bots, you ask us for some help on making something that connects to Battle.net then you want this, than that AND MORE AND MORE. It never stops. They want channel list and icons and suddenly you are showing these new bot makers how to do 0ms. STOP THE MADNESS !!!!!!!
[/quote]
Why don't you shut the fuck up? He's here trying to learn and your here trying to make your self like you know more then he does. You've been praticing Visual Basic for quite a certain amount of months and you still don't know how to use a timer chr0nic? Don't try and bash on him ok, chr0nic. Everyone has a starting point.
November 25, 2003, 3:28 AM
St0rm.iD
Hello and welcome to the forums.

First I'd like to say, shame on the warez link :)

Next, you'll encounter several hurdles posting here as a newbie. Here are some tips to avoid being flamed:

- Try it yourself first. Experiment; never ask "will this work," try it yourself, and if it doesn't work, ask
- Post the section of code you're having trouble with and the troubles you're having with it. (use code tags!)
- Don't demand anything because no one here owes anyone jack shit
- Don't make two posts after each other unless you have to. You can modify your existing post if you forgot to add something.

I would stay, start off with Python: www.python.org. It's just like a graphing calculator on steroids.
November 25, 2003, 3:55 AM
CrAz3D
My bad, I saw that 13-yr-Newb was getting upset at not finding a good copy of Visual Basic so I tried to help, I didn't show the link, people don't have to look if they don't want to.
November 25, 2003, 4:54 AM
Myndfyr
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=17;threadid=3819;start=15#msg31304 date=1069732525]

Next, you'll encounter several hurdles posting here as a newbie. Here are some tips to avoid being flamed:

- Try it yourself first. Experiment; never ask "will this work," try it yourself, and if it doesn't work, ask
- Post the section of code you're having trouble with and the troubles you're having with it. (use code tags!)
- Don't make two posts after each other unless you have to. You can modify your existing post if you forgot to add something.

I would stay, start off with Python: www.python.org. It's just like a graphing calculator on steroids.
[/quote]

Is this a standard thing you say, Storm, to all newbies? ;)

Something else I've found is helpful here is, when I'm asking, "Well why doesn't this work," and I proceed to discuss my algorithm, I'll find the problem, try a fix, and boom, I'm set. Don't just be mindlessly typing your problem - be interactive with yourself in trying to solve it.
November 25, 2003, 5:49 AM
St0rm.iD
[quote author=Myndfyre link=board=17;threadid=3819;start=15#msg31315 date=1069739372]
[quote author=St0rm.iD link=board=17;threadid=3819;start=15#msg31304 date=1069732525]

[/quote]

Is this a standard thing you say, Storm, to all newbies? ;)
[/quote]

The part about Python is. It's way better for newbies than VB, IMO.
November 25, 2003, 7:52 PM
ObsidianWolf
If you want any help you can contact me, i get people started all the time on basic programming
November 25, 2003, 7:57 PM
13-yr-Old-Newb
Obsidian, Do you have msn or aim or anything because I would like to learn vb and you said you would help me get started so leave a post and maybe you could teach me.
Thanks.
-- 13-yr-old-newb
November 25, 2003, 8:40 PM
ObsidianWolf
my aim is DancinTuba
November 25, 2003, 8:48 PM
Myndfyr
[quote author=13-yr-Old-Newb link=board=17;threadid=3819;start=30#msg31385 date=1069792804]
Obsidian, Do you have msn or aim or anything because I would like to learn vb and you said you would help me get started so leave a post and maybe you could teach me.
Thanks.
-- 13-yr-old-newb
[/quote]

Argh! Use sentences!!!

Obsidian, do you have MSN or AIM or anything? I would like to learn VB, and you said you could help me get started - so leave a post and maybe you could teach me.
November 25, 2003, 11:29 PM
ObsidianWolf
My word, an individual that shows actual grammar skills.
November 25, 2003, 11:45 PM
ChR0NiC
[quote author=Simi link=board=17;threadid=3819;start=15#msg31298 date=1069730892]
Why don't you shut the fuck up? He's here trying to learn and your here trying to make your self like you know more then he does. You've been praticing Visual Basic for quite a certain amount of months and you still don't know how to use a timer chr0nic? Don't try and bash on him ok, chr0nic. Everyone has a starting point.
[/quote]
Sounds like Simi didn't get enough Taco Bell today. Is there a problem at home Simi?

and btw i know how to use a timer

[Edit: cleaned the post up a bit. Don't make me keep doing this.]
November 26, 2003, 12:34 AM
Skywing
If you two want to continue to post on these forums, I suggest you take your flaming to a more private area.
November 26, 2003, 12:46 AM

Search