Valhalla Legends Forums Archive | Assembly Language (any cpu) | Process dumping

AuthorMessageTime
St0rm.iD
I know this isn't exactly an assembler question, but is it possible to dump a process to disk, saving its variables and everything? If so, could you provide some insight how to achive this? If not, could you assist me in finding the start and end addresses of the data and bss segments?

Thanks.
February 11, 2003, 9:29 PM
Adron
Use windbg, attach to the process and then do the command .dump /f filename.dmp

But you're right, this is not about assembly language.
February 11, 2003, 10:04 PM
KaSiaL
Since we're here about dumping then how about debugging? What is the best app to debug multithread processes (for winxp)?
February 19, 2003, 7:31 PM
St0rm.iD
I liked SoftICE...until it stopped working on my system.
You could try the VC debugger or WinDbg I guess.
February 19, 2003, 9:20 PM
KaSiaL
K, thx :) I'm downloading the WinDbg from Micro$hit's site at this very moment ;D 75% to go.... 8)

30% .... LOL anyone wants to download full set of symbols required to debug Windows XP? 172 Megz ;D
February 19, 2003, 9:38 PM
Skywing
[quote]K, thx :) I'm downloading the WinDbg from Micro$hit's site at this very moment ;D 75% to go.... 8)

30% .... LOL anyone wants to download full set of symbols required to debug Windows XP? 172 Megz ;D[/quote]
Those aren't required at all.  They're simply provided to make life easier for you.
February 19, 2003, 11:01 PM
KaSiaL
I know, I was in a hurry and I didn't express precisely what I ment. Having the full set of symbols for WinXP debugging requires downloading of a file 172 Megz large. :)
February 20, 2003, 12:57 PM
Grok
Why do you keep saying debugging and debugger's aren't related to assembly?  Is not a debugging a huge part of assembly language programming?  Or is this forum "assembly language coding and compiling stages only"?
February 20, 2003, 4:33 PM
Adron
Debugging and debuggers don't need to be related to assembly. They could be. It all depends on what you're debugging. This forum will of course cover machine code/assembler level debugging, but it may not cover managed code debugging :P
February 20, 2003, 10:47 PM

Search